Is it time for 8 man football in PA?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Is it time for 8 man football in PA?

Postby knowitall » September 5th, 2019, 4:45 pm

You can’t wait until August to start talking co-op.  If you go to one school do you really want to wear another school’s uniform?  How does the co-opting school compensate the host school?  How does it work for insurance purposes?  What about the band and the cheerleaders?

• Advertisement
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » September 5th, 2019, 5:33 pm

38 of those schools crimson posted have 30 players or less on their roster. 4 or 5 of them are never going to see play time, those 38 schools are the owns we should look to set up 8 man division.

SportsFan04
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby SportsFan04 » September 5th, 2019, 6:09 pm

knowitall wrote:You can’t wait until August to start talking co-op.  If you go to one school do you really want to wear another school’s uniform?  How does the co-opting school compensate the host school?  How does it work for insurance purposes?  What about the band and the cheerleaders?

No one is saying start a co-op 3 weeks into the season. It's a conversation piece on an anonymous forum. 

Admittedly I have no idea about the business end of how this works. Your guess is as good as mine. 

As far as another school's uniform is concerned,  I was the product of a co-op for six years, junior high and high school. I can honestly say I had just as many friends and as much support at the school I played for as I did my home school.  It was actually pretty neat because it was like I had two schools. Maybe not every situation is the same, maybe not everyone was as receptive to it as I became but I can honestly say it was nothing but positive for me. So yes I can tell you that I can wear another school's uniform. 

billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby billmurray » September 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm

It’s already here. Delco Christian, Mercerburg, Perkioman school and valley forge academy formed a league. Expect more schools to look at 8 man teams in the future.

DFFSBA
Freshman
Freshman

Postby DFFSBA » September 6th, 2019, 10:31 am

SportsFan04 wrote:
CharlieConway wrote:Just an opinion.  There may be no correlation, but there might be:

Youth football has arrived to the area, like 20 years ago?  Maybe we are starting things a little too early?  Tackling a little too early?  Exposure could be part of the problem.  Youth football - trying to teach the game to children that don't even understand the basic concept of the game?

Yikes.  Perhaps kids are getting "turned off" to football even before they understand what it is.  All they know, they show up, try, Johnny's dad gets pissed off at them cause their flag or youth tackle team isn't undefeated.  Cause hey, we gotta get this sh*t right so Johnny gets his D1 looks, like his daddy should have.

If the exposure to the game happens to early, or isn't in a positive experience, kids wont play.  I think we are not exposing the game the right way.  Hmmmm.   

Numbers are down and schools arent fielding teams because the KIDS don't want to be there.  This goes out to all the dads out there, running the youth football programs like the University of Alabama.

Roll Dad, Roll!

I agree with you 95%.  I think youth tackle football is too soon.  Kids can have fun and learn the fundamentals of the game just fine playing flag.  The superhero dad/coach is a problem but this is across all youth sports anymore.  A lot of guys aren't doing it to teach kids the game. They're doing it so they can coach little Johnny Jr to be a division 1 athlete.  The younger you go in youth football at least, the crazier the parents and coaches and that's a shame.  I also have a complaint about parents making their kids one sport athletes but maybe that's a topic for another day.

On a different note, why does everyone get so offended when you bring up co-op's?  They would solve a lot of the problems that are mentioned on here but it seems that most think it's a terrible thing.  I don't mean for every school but for some it would help.  Take Blairsville and Saltsburg for an example, I know they're a bit of an anomaly because they're sort of the same school anyway except not but I digress. 

Blairsville, in the paper, is rostering 35 kids this year. Saltsburg is at 29 which if my memory serves is a bit of an uptick. 
You now have a team with a hypothetical 64 kids.  @abpk2903 mentioned most teams have 3-4 kids on the team that have no business being on the team, I tend to agree with that assessment and combining teams makes that 6-8.  With a roster that size maybe those kids still play maybe they don't.  If they don't you're left with 56 "athletes" on a team to practice with, compete for starting positions with, make a better product with.  Maybe you have an offense, a defense and some special teams kids instead of fielding your 11 best players playing universal football because that's all we have to work with.  

Have we gotten so sensitive that our kids may not play that we can't promote competition within the team or hell even on game day?  Is it that we refuse to wear another jersey or compete for another school?  Are we just naive to the situation?  I think the answer is probably the latter but this is a serious question.  I'm not trying to push buttons or cause any fights I just don't understand with the declines that are happening whether it be numbers or competition why co-ops seem to be frowned upon.

Good post.  I agree about the superhero dad part - but if you really want to see crazy sports parent, go to an elementary wrestling tournament and watch the moms that go to mat side.

PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Postby PAMDGrappler » September 6th, 2019, 4:54 pm

My opinion is a little bit different. I don’t think “superhero dads” are the problem. In fact, I always wanted my kids playing for a coach that valued discipline, structure, hard work, and playing to win. Those are the kids I see learning to play the sport the right way and end up successfully playing into there high school years. Part of the problem is that this generation of youth parents badly baby their kids and refuse to teach them that life has winners and losers. Kids cry when something is tough and their parents let them quit because it’s too hard. I may be in the wrong but I’d rather have a hard-nosed coach for my kids than a babysitter who teaches them that life is only fun and games.

That being said, enrollment in all sports is down because kids would rather be glued to their electronics 24/7 and parents allow it. If it wasn’t for the superhero dads that you’re blasting, there’d probably be even less athletes than there already are!

SportsFan04
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby SportsFan04 » September 6th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I gave you a like. I agree. Where my differences come in is age level. I have absolutely no problem with the guy you describe at the high school level. Too many of those coaches are getting driven away due to sensitive parents. At the high school level winning is what we compete for. I don't even have a problem with that guy to some degree at the junior high level. Where I do have a problem is in youth sports. In my opinion youth sports are for learning. Winning is secondary. Teach kids fundamentals and how catch block or throw. How to be a part of a team. Discipline matters and is important but I don't want the guy screaming at 3rd and 4th graders because they did something wrong. I want the guy that teaches them what they did wrong no matter how many times it takes.

PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Postby PAMDGrappler » September 6th, 2019, 8:18 pm

And I’ll agree with you in part as well, but part of “teaching” the players correctly involves getting the players to take it seriously. Players of any age are never going to learn if the practices and games are free-for-all grab **** sessions in the name of fun. Coaches, even youth coaches, have to establish discipline to be able to successfully “teach”. Where I do agree with you is the coaches who do not understand the difference between discipline and bring a flaming a-hole, screaming and hollering for 2 hours. I guess my point is that I’m ok with coaches who demand the best out of their players, even at a young age.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » September 7th, 2019, 9:25 am

8 man. Smaller busses or even SUV's for travel, saving $$$ all around. Isn't it always about the bottom line?
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby Birda » September 7th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Cut the number of high schools in the state by half and be done with it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Return to “Football”