What say you?

Goooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllll
CharlieConway
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 98
Joined: November 17th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Reputation: 26
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: What say you?

Postby CharlieConway » September 11th, 2019, 9:16 am

Jimjohn81 wrote:Charlie, I'm confused. You coach in this area? A hot bed for college prospects? And your telling me that your school season, summer league, and team camps and etc are better for exposure? I agree some aau coaches/programs are complete jokes but I cant even see how you can argue this point. Now if your in philly, I missed this, maybe???? Probably not enough for maximum exposure, but maybe. I had a relative who during the aau season attracted serious interest. Enough that big schools were sending coaches to our local gym to work him out. They didnt bite, aau ended, and high school season began. They simply couldn't evaluate him anymore. I watched a game that several college coaches were at. They guarded him with 2 guys denying the ball. He scored 40. He still got a full ride and had a successful career but did not go as big as he probably shouldve. AAU is almost a must for any serious basketball prospect. The job of the parents and high school coach is trying to find a good fit. 


Ok.  You and LionJacket are 100% right.  I was in the wrong.  But.....you know there is a reason they mention in a collegiate players biography the following:

Hometown
High School
High School Accomplishments (high school team accomplishments/career points).


Not a single word, nothing regarding AAU.  
Keep selling the dream!

Oh and you want to bash on The Building???  I will let you know that more scouts have been in that house in the last 10 years, than in any Mountain Cat or Winning Circle AAU games.  

Don't disrespect The Building. When you and LionJacket went there....you allowed us to know the depths of your knowledge.


Just a little look in to my reaction.  

Some Dude: "Yeah man, I coach"
Me: "What school"
Some Dude: "I coach AAU for XXXXXX"
Me: "Oh, thats cool."
Me on inside: " =))"


Player: "My AAU coach says we should do it this way."
Me: "Oh, ok I will keep that in mind."
Player: "Yeah he thinks some D3 schools are looking at me."
Me: "Well thats a great goal, lets keep working on team goals first, and all else will take care of themselves."
Players Dad: (Angry speaking in stands): "I just don't get it, PLAYER, does so well at AAU, cause his coach's offense is so much better, we averaged 18 points a game this summer, this HS coach doesn't know what he is doing.  I've had it.  You know we are getting college looks, and this HS school coach is holding my son back. You know his AAU coach thinks we don't run the right offense, I bet if we had AAU coach, we would win more games."
Me:  "AAU Coach is an _____________."
Last edited by CharlieConway on September 11th, 2019, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.


Thanks!

  • Advertisement
CharlieConway
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 98
Joined: November 17th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Reputation: 26
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: What say you?

Postby CharlieConway » September 11th, 2019, 9:19 am

Lionjacket wrote:I don’t necessarily have a horse in the race, as my son is very young, however, some things need to be cleared up, when it comes to AAU basketball.

The dream of every high school basketball player is not to make it to the NBA or play D1 basketball. Some kids just want to have fun with their friends, stay active, or maybe play some basketball in college (D2, D3, JUCO). With that being said, not every player that plays AAU basketball dreams of going D1. Some kids love the game and want to play well into the summer (and if the parents want to pay for them to do that, who really cares). Some kids just want to play against better competition, as compared to Richland, Building II, etc. If you think that there is no difference, I hate to tell you, but playing kids from Philly, New York, and Maryland is better than local leagues.

As far as making money goes,  I don’t know any local AAU programs that pay their coaches (Winners Circle, Mountain Cat, All Day Hoops, etc.). When you go to bigger areas, they certainly do pay their coaches, but that is just not the case in this area.

When it comes to scouts, you will not see D1 scouts at many tournaments that local kids go to. That is because there is a difference between grassroots AAU (our area) and shoes sponsored AAU (national programs). D1, D2, and D3 coaches flock to the shoe sponsored events, because that is where the top talent in the country is, not at CalU on a weekend in April. Also, college coaches have very limited recruiting windows (2 weekends in April and 2 weekends in July usually). It is illegal to recruit outside of those specified weekends.

Finally, I think that AAU has absolutely helped our area. AAU really became popular in our area about a decade ago. Since that time, look at how well teams have done in the PIAA playoffs.

Finally, I am not saying that AAU is the best system in the world, or a flawless one at that, but I think that people should know more of the facts before making judgments.

Hey grassroot, check out the post above.  Don't bash The Building.  You reference D3, they do not have any limited windows.  They can contact anytime.  Don't use short windows to push forth your agenda.  How many D2s and Jucos we pumped out in the last 10 years.  So your limited window point, doesn't hold water.  If you want to play ball, and play with friends.  Check out the HS summer schedule.
Thanks!

Jimjohn81
Junior
Junior
Posts: 122
Joined: July 20th, 2018, 9:27 pm
Reputation: 33

Re: What say you?

Postby Jimjohn81 » September 11th, 2019, 9:37 am

What do you mean by The Building?  I didnt attack anyone. I'm totally pro home town high school program. I just think you need both to achieve the highest level. Again, some are jokes, no doubt.  

RZBZNZ
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 12
Joined: July 3rd, 2019, 2:47 pm
Reputation: 3

Re: What say you?

Postby RZBZNZ » September 11th, 2019, 11:32 am

First, giving up high school for college is kinda stupid unless you can do a Bryce Harper and enroll and play there right now. Otherwise, what if you go to college and are "on the team" but never see the field?

As far as getting recruited... ok let's be realistic - how many kids actually get recruited in any sport from any given area and actually PLAY regularly in college. Most who make it anywhere are just "on the Team". All you have to do is Google these travel outfits and see where their kids were recruited - and then actually see how much they played and it doesn't correlate anywhere near to the hype.

Kids would be better off trying to go to school and play Golf, Swimming, Wrestling, and Cross Country. Way more opportunities in those individual sports than in the Big 4 or 5 team sports.

Every year, you have these big signing days for local kids from all counties which should actually be more of a farewell day than anything else because you never hear of them again. No knock on the kids, anything they earn is an accomplishment. But a definite knock on the training and travel industry which promises gold and yields a few grains of sand.

AAU Basketball... ok show me 10 players from Cambria, Somerset, Bedford and Blair counties in the last five years that were college starters at the d3 level and you'll have my vote.

Lionjacket
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant
Posts: 248
Joined: December 4th, 2015, 10:41 pm
Reputation: 24

Re: What say you?

Postby Lionjacket » September 11th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Charlie...I didn’t say anything about scouts not coming to Building II. I said that overall, competition is better when you have kids from other states, rather than just the immediate area.

CharlieConway
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 98
Joined: November 17th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Reputation: 26
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: What say you?

Postby CharlieConway » September 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm

CharlieConway wrote:
Lionjacket wrote:Some kids just want to play against better competition, as compared to Richland, Building II, etc. If you think that there is no difference, I hate to tell you, but playing kids from Philly, New York, and Maryland is better than local leagues? 

Also, college coaches have very limited recruiting windows (2 weekends in April and 2 weekends in July usually). It is illegal to recruit outside of those specified weekends.

Finally, I think that AAU has absolutely helped our area. AAU really became popular in our area about a decade ago. Since that time, look at how well teams have done in the PIAA playoffs.


Charles is a victim of public education and don't reads so good.  But Charles can see contradictory statements reals good.  He can see you claim our area has done so well lately in PIAA playoffs.  So Charles wonders...why need to go play against other competition? That is if your post is true.

D3 can look anytime.  You must not be as keen to the "recruitment process," but can twist it to your narrative.  

Let me save your next rebuttal.
 
All playoffs teams had AAU players, therefore AAU made the team go. 

Thats like:

Manson listened to the Beatles, therefore the Beatles committed the murders.

Join the AAU Family - Tryouts in March.


 
Thanks!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10332
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 881

Re: What say you?

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 11th, 2019, 2:09 pm

RZBZNZ wrote:As far as getting recruited... ok let's be realistic - how many kids actually get recruited in any sport from any given area and actually PLAY regularly in college.  Most who make it anywhere are just "on the Team".  All you have to do is Google these travel outfits and see where their kids were recruited - and then actually see how much they played and it doesn't correlate anywhere near to the hype.

Every year, you have these big signing days for local kids from all counties which should actually be more of a farewell day than anything else because you never hear of them again.   No knock on the kids, anything they earn is an accomplishment.  But a definite knock on the training and travel industry which promises gold and yields a few grains of sand.

AAU Basketball...  ok show me 10 players from Cambria, Somerset, Bedford and Blair counties in the last five years that were college starters at the d3 level and you'll have my vote.

I think the goal of playing AAU and extra training is to earn the spot on the college team, IMO. If you go D1 or D2, you are getting a full ride. If you get extra money to be on the team at a D3 school, then playing in a few travel tournament over the years is probably worth it. I don't look at lack of college success as an indictment on the system at large. If Luke Ruggery never achieves the same success at Saint Francis as he did at Bishop Guilfoyle, I don't look at that as a problem. He put in the work and is going to college for free. To me, that's worth it. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10332
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 881

Re: What say you?

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 11th, 2019, 2:11 pm

If your entire goal in a sport is to win districts and only beat local teams, then there's no need to play anyone outside the area. Play in summer leagues with local teams twice a week and that should be plenty. 


I'm not sure if Bishop Guilfoyle or Richland make the state championship games recently if they play in local summer leagues or not. I'm assuming having a few kids that played AAU and taking their teams out of the area for some camps probably helped, but then again, maybe it didn't.

CharlieConway
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 98
Joined: November 17th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Reputation: 26
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: What say you?

Postby CharlieConway » September 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:If your entire goal in a sport is to win districts and only beat local teams, then there's no need to play anyone outside the area. Play in summer leagues with local teams twice a week and that should be plenty. 


I'm not sure if Bishop Guilfoyle or Richland make the state championship games recently if they play in local summer leagues or not. I'm assuming having a few kids that played AAU and taking their teams out of the area for some camps probably helped, but then again, maybe it didn't.

What about the other teams over the years that had AAU players on them?  Must have been the high school coaches fault they didn't make it to the state championship?  

Or you referring to Ruggery, Burke, Instone, Zimmerman?   :-?  Did they play for Mt Cat or Winning Circle? LOL (please take the bait).

Dang maybe it didn't help that 3 of those players are Division 1 athletes (Zimmy, verdict is out because was not interested, Prob D2 looks tho).  They weren't/arent Division 1 athletes because they played AAU, that much I can assure you.

BG & Richland got to the state finals because they had dudes.  Not because their dudes played AAU.
Thanks!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10332
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 881

Re: What say you?

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 11th, 2019, 2:40 pm

How does one become a dude? Playing against Somerset and McCort in the LHAC? Shooting hoops in the backyard?


Return to “Soccer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests