Bear season

Hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, geocaching, and more
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Bear season

Postby Coach » November 24th, 2013, 8:20 am

Anyone know of any lucky hunters?

Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches

• Advertisement
6xxburgh
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Bear season

Postby 6xxburgh » November 25th, 2013, 4:07 am

I know of one guy that killed a bear with a bow and this is his 4 year in a row to have killed with a bow ! If you ask me something is fishy about it .....because if you really think about its a once in a life time to kill one with a rifle ?? Anybody have and thoughts ?? Maybe the use of bait is involved?

Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Eaglealum » November 25th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Bait is probably involved somewhere in the process. The way the baiting laws are, he could be doing it legally , while not perfectly ethically ( I'm not getting into specifics)
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein

6xxburgh
Freshman
Freshman

Postby 6xxburgh » November 25th, 2013, 5:51 pm

U can't bait in Pa . Period !!!

crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby crfball » November 25th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Ya you can

TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby TheAnalyst » November 25th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Directly from page 15 of the PA Hunting and Trapping Digest: It is unlawful to hunt in or around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals, or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity.
-----
You can use non-live bait for coyotes. And naturally occurring food plots or agricultural plantings are not considered bait. Or whatever you put in traps.

But for the most part, for what is considered baiting, I would understand from the book to be illegal.

Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Eaglealum » November 26th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Read what you just copied and pasted. WITHIN 30 days!! Bears are creatures of habit... Feed em through the fall... Pattern them... Pop em in November... It also says in there a certain yardage you can't be within of a bait/food source , find out where they are coming from, and set your stands outside that distance along their routes.... Not ethical but within the law
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein

Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Eaglealum » November 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Along the harvest report, I know of 6 so far from the guys I know. I wasn't able to upload a pic. But there's a local here that got a cinnamon black bear.. Really pretty coat. Story will be in CDT soon
.... A. Einstein

TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby TheAnalyst » November 26th, 2013, 10:02 pm

I read what I typed. No copy/paste here! And I agree with you on what you are saying. The thing about the law is the phrase "including their residues". There aren't many things you can put out that won't leave behind some trace 30 days later. Of course the game commission would have to test for those residues and I highly doubt they ever would do that.

Haven't heard of any bears killed down this way or seen any in the Bedford Gazette yet.

TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby TheAnalyst » November 27th, 2013, 1:01 pm

From the Bedford Gazette: The largest bear killed on the first day was in the Everett area. 632 pounds. On Tuesday a 772 pound bear was killed in Lackawanna County. Bedford County has 43 bears taken so far.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”