Scrimmage Reports - Week One

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Scrimmage Reports - Week One

Post by davesandstorm »

Let's hear about the scrimmages after the first week of camp!

Mount Union and Glendale scrimmaged this morning in MU.

Started off with each team alternating 10 offensive plays starting from their own 30. Mount Union won this portion, scored twice in the first series of 10 plays and at least once in the second set. I can't remember if they scored a fourth time, I just remember commenting that they had 3 touchdowns in 12 offensive plays. I know the last 4-5 plays they tried different things that didn't really work as well as most of what they tried to start.

JV scrimmaged in the same format with MU scoring 1 TD and Glendale none.

Varsity scrimmaged in game format, Glendale started with the ball and threw an interception that was returned inside their own 5. MU punched it in again. Glendale moved the ball well on their next possession, but a holding call and an interception killed it without a score.

I don't know if they used the new ball or not, but MU didn't have any issues throwing it. Walker threw at least two balls that were 40 yards in the air.

Glendale rotated two kids at QB on varsity. Their FB had some nice runs up the gut.

MU had I believe 52-54 boys on the sideline, and Glendale appeared to be in the low 30s.
Footballfans4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Scrimmage Reports - Week One

Post by Footballfans4life »

I drove down to watch BG play Tyrone. I was a little disappointed BG sat four starters including their quarterback Chadbourne and the tailback McCloskey. THey didn't look hurt they where playing catch and running around on the sidelines before the game. That being said BG was very impressive only had their varsity in for 20 place but scored twice. Tyrone didn't have a run over 5 yards against their defense. Tyrone could've scored on a fade during the second 10 plays. But the wide receiver dropped an open pass. Tyrone fumbled the ball at least twice and had one bad snap by the center

JVs BG scored two times. And Tyrone got in on their 20th play on offense.
D6sports101
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by D6sports101 »

Sounds like BG came out strong I think it will be a big season for them this year. Very solid team all the way around.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

FH 1st stringers over Bedford 4-1. Blough dropped another one in the end zone , and second string was even, though Piner had a sure TD when he dropped it at the 20. The defense will be better. I'd be surprised if Westmont even smells the end zone next Fri.
It ain't over until it's over.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

NBC and JV scrimmaged at JV this morning. The varsity teams each ran 28 plays and NB scored once to JV's 0. The Panthers were without G/LB Jesse Claar but he should be back soon. The Panther offense was very efficient and averaged about 7 yards per play. Austin Heck and Elias Brallier ran well and Aaron Batzel was efficient throwing the ball going something like 7-9. Three sophomore wideouts all had solid outings. Jacob Dasher, Gavin Gilbert, and Jake Cherry all stand over 6'1". JV moved the ball on their first 10 plays but the NB defense played much better on the next 18. It was a competitive scrimmage between two solid teams. Both teams appeared to stay relatively healthy which is what is most important in these scrimmages.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Don't be overly confident on the BG side. Tyrone also had several out and alot of others were very limited. They were told 5 plays and that is what they got. Seems both sides were being overly careful with some of the personel. Hopefully we see a little more in the next scrimmage. Alot of preservation in this one.
-BIRDS OF PREY-
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Don't be overly confident on the BG side Tyrone was also sitting alot. Many other 2 way starters were told 5 plays and that is what they got. Seems this one was more about preservation than it was about finding out about the teams. Seems it was more of an evaluation of the backups
-BIRDS OF PREY-
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

It's scrimmages. Not a point is earned towards a playoff berth for two weeks yet. And a lot of coaches use personnel groupings you won't see again just to look at something for down the road. Heck in 99 a Southern team made us look inferior for better part of 2 qtrs. that year worked out ok. Don't read anything into these games.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
WildCatz
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by WildCatz »

You're absolutely correct Eagle.. These scrimmages are merely a time where coaches will try things they cannot do in practice or observing how certain personal works out in different situations. Where a team starts and finish are two different stories.
ramfan25
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ramfan25 »

I'm sure a lot of teams didn't even use half of there offense... Especially considering that there are many new coaches with new tricks up their sleeves. Also you don't know how serious coaches take scrimmages.. A lot of touchdowns scored could be the result of a jv player into the game