Recruiting - JV.

Hardwood chatter
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Recruiting - JV.

Post by CharlieConway »

Juniata Valley Girls Basketball will be holding a girls camp for grades 3rd-9th.  Could they want to take a look at the area's crop coming up?  Is this their way of "reloading" for another "run?"  My daughter won't be attending this camp, even if it comes with a tour of a nice town house.

I don't blame the girls at JV, the parents made that call.  SMH, build it the right way.  Integrity goes a lot further than a state title run.  The D1 offers didn't come.

[s]Tryouts[/s] Camp runs from June 11th-14th.
Thanks!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Recruiting - JV.

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think a lot of high school programs run camps in the Summer, and they're open for kids outside the respective districts. I don't think that's anything new really.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

CharlieConway wrote:Juniata Valley Girls Basketball will be holding a girls camp for grades 3rd-9th.  Could they want to take a look at the area's crop coming up?  Is this their way of "reloading" for another "run?"  My daughter won't be attending this camp, even if it comes with a tour of a nice town house.

I don't blame the girls at JV, the parents made that call.  SMH, build it the right way.  Integrity goes a lot further than a state title run.  The D1 offers didn't come.

[s]Tryouts[/s] Camp runs from June 11th-14th.

Sounds to me like someone is a little salty. Maybe your daughter who isn't attending camp played for a team that lost to the JV girls?? Hmmmmm. Hopefully it wasn't Bishop Carol because that would be grand to hear a catholic school whine about recruiting! 
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Nope - We are Ms. Julie Public.  Just witnessed a lot of it go down.  Salty, yes definitely.  When people use their elitist beliefs, after [s]paying[/s] joining an AAU team, finding success, then deciding to stack the deck to beat on publics in the area.  Yeah, salty could be one word to describe it.  Does Northern Bedford or Chestnut Ridge get banners for PIAA State Runner Up as well?  How does that work?

AAU is to blame, after all its where the Juniata Academy all met.

Here is one for the AAU goers...

For basically one month, many (not all) AAU "programs" collect paychecks of about $300 per player.  Put together a 8-10 player squad ($3,000) and play 3-4 ($275) tournaments.  What happens to the other $2,000 grand?  Hmmm.  Under the umbrella about 5-6 divisions of boys and girls.  Sounds like a nice pay day of $8,000-$10,000.  Don't believe me, do your research.  Oh yeah, uniforms, take off $1,200.  Hotels and travel are paid by the parents.  Best Ponzi scheme since the 90s.  And these parents are buying it up.  All the while their "AAU Coach" says how good they are.  They report back to their parents, and a nightmare begins for the local coach.  College scouts will be at the tournament  =)).  Thats how they sell it.  Unless you hit Hoopsfest (Pittsburgh) or Las Vegas (Sean Miller Scandal), you aren't getting very many looks.  You've been had and paid to play on an "all-star" team.

If anyone out there is reading this, and you want someone with credentials to tell your daughter/son how good they are & how they should be starting for their HS team, I tell you what, I will only charge you $150 bucks.  Make checks payable to "You've Been Had."

But back to JV.  If you want to do it right, get your AAU team to all move to one location, preferably a small school.

Salty, yeah I am salty.  But I know, you can't put a price on integrity.  Those that know, see right through it.  
Thanks!
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

CharlieConway wrote:Nope - We are Ms. Julie Public.  Just witnessed a lot of it go down.  Salty, yes definitely.  When people use their elitist beliefs, after [s]paying[/s] joining an AAU team, finding success, then deciding to stack the deck to beat on publics in the area.  Yeah, salty could be one word to describe it.  Does Northern Bedford or Chestnut Ridge get banners for PIAA State Runner Up as well?  How does that work?

What does the Northern Bedford and Chestnut Ridge statement have to do with JV girls basketball....just confused as to the context of that statement (and pretty much this whole post).
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Some of the players from an AAU team conveniently "moved" to Juniata Valley at the same time. Some players were from Northern Bedford and some were from Chestnut Ridge.

I assumed this was common knowledge given many of the posts on this website regarding this. I find it hard to believe that you have been a member since 2013 and never once read anything regarding JV girls, Northern Bedford and Chestnut Ridge. Hopefully, that clears up any contexts issues.
Thanks!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

CharlieConway wrote: Here is one for the AAU goers.....

For basically one month, many (not all) AAU "programs" collect paychecks of about $300 per player.  Put together a 8-10 player squad ($3,000) and play 3-4 ($275) tournaments.  What happens to the other $2,000 grand?  Hmmm.  Under the umbrella about 5-6 divisions of boys and girls.  Sounds like a nice pay day of $8,000-$10,000.  Don't believe me, do your research.  Oh yeah, uniforms, take off $1,200.  Hotels and travel are paid by the parents.  Best Ponzi scheme since the 90s.  And these parents are buying it up. 
I think you're a bit delusional about AAU teams. But pretty sure most of them attend more than 3-4 tournaments. The athletes I see on these teams are at 3-4 tournaments per MONTH for 3-4 months. And I think it was mentioned that this isn't something unique to JV, nearly every varsity program in the district has some type of basketball camp. Leave your rock every once in a while.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yeah they play pretty much all Spring into July. 
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Jeez you guys are no fun sometimes.

Of course most schools have camps.  That was a shot at certain people at Juniata Valley for their hands in the loading of a team.

Some AAU teams, and I mean FEW, very FEW, play for more than one month.  Hence the (not all) in my post.  

But there is a LARGE group of AAUer's out there that play a month, pay $300, and get scammed.  

I strongly believe only the BEST players in the area should be on these teams (Ruggery, Burke, Hollsinger) (their teams play most of the spring/summer), not just those whose parents can afford the $300 ding.  Get told their daughter/son is the next LeBron (if they work), and then lose their mind when they don't even start on their own high school team.

If this is all news to you, you are the one that has gotten scammed, under the rock, or delusional.  Get the refund, because the D1 isn't stopping by to fulfill the dream.  But you're AAU coach really appreciates the vacation you paid for.  Cheers babe!
Thanks!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Well, you're not supposed to buy new cars, or rent over buy, or eat out instead of stay in. But guess what, people do it anyways. If parents want to "blow" $300 to watch their kids play a sport they enjoy more then by all means they're entitled to do that. I'm sure you spend money on things other people would find wasteful, doesn't make it right or wrong