Altoona's GREAT performance at Penn Relays...

PIAA- Track and Field
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Altoona's GREAT performance at Penn Relays...

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

For all of you track fans, Altoona undoubtedly turned in the best performance ever by a District 6 team at the Penn Relays.

Their 4x1 ran 42.17 in the trials, which qualified them for Saturday's finals, where they ran 41.83 and placed 7th in the HS boys' Championship of America with 7 other JAMACIAN teams.

Meanwhile, Toona's 4x4 also qualified for the HS boys' Championship of America, running a 3:15.77, including a mind blowing :45.7 anchor by Brady Gehret...That's right, I said :45.7...I am sure that it is the fastest 4x4 split ever by a HSer in District 6. Toona went on to finish 6th in the Championship race.

WOW. What a weekend. 2 school records and 2 championship finals. I salute all Altoona boys and coaches involved.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Altoona's GREAT performance at Penn Relays...

Post by usatf oldguy »

Titan I wondered in an earlier post what kind of time altoona would have if they were pushed,apparently they are capable of huge things.45.7 is mind blowing for a highschool junior.Those relay times are smoke pure and simple.I guess we really shouldn't be too surprised about Gehret though I believe his sister won the high jump at 5' 10" at the same penn relays 4 or 5 years ago.No easy feat in itself.I tell you I have followed track and field for years and the last 5 or so years have been fantastic in the area.The bar is being raised higher and higher.If you want to see some quality high school track show up at the west central coaches meet in a couple weeks you won't be disappointed.This years crop of area kids are very talented!Congrats Altoona, best US team finish at the penn relays,I like the sound of it!
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Unreal performance by Altoona. They put those two school relay records in the vault for a long time.

I am still amazed at the :45.7 4x4 split by Gehret. Nadolsky ran a great leadoff too at low :49.

:45.7 would beat a lot of HS boys 4x1 relay teams!!!!!!!
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by wickedcrossover »

I totally agree that Altoona's performance was spectacular. I'm really looking forward to the West Central Coaches meet this Friday at Mansion Park (if only to see Altoona compete). Altoona also has a solid 4 X 800 relay and some quality distance runners. There should be some high quality perormances from a large group of talented athletes in both AA and AAA. Endress(altoona) vs. Plazenski(Dubois).....Ingle, Brooker and Spisak in the 1600. Wirfel and the Seymor girls..........the girls in the field events. Should make for an interesting evening.