Mount Rushmore Project-Conemaugh Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
bluejay84
Freshman
Freshman

Mount Rushmore Project-Conemaugh Valley

Post by bluejay84 »

Players only:
Tom Yewcic (East Conemaugh HS before merger)- All-American at Michigan State, played QB on National Championship team and also All-American catcher in baseball and MVP of College World Series. Played one season for Detroit Tigers and six seasons for Boston Patriots of AFL.
Pete Vuckovich- 11 year major league pitching career for White Sox, Blue Jays, Cardinals and Brewers. 1982 Cy Young winner.
Brandon Studer- 2,540 points, second all time in Cambria county and 27th all time in PA. Scored 1,416 points and sixth all time scorer at Washington and Jefferson.
Samantha Pollino-2,316 points, PA Class A player of the year 2006, led CV to only State Finals appearance in history. Four year starter at Duquesne and scored 1,437 points to finish sixth all-time.

Coaches:
John Jacoby-D6 Football champs 1992, 100+wins
Garry Lupek-D6 basketball champs 1979, 2010, 500+wins
Teri Cruse-D6 girls champs, PA state runner up 2006, 200+wins
SportsLover61
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Mount Rushmore Project-Conemaugh Valley

Post by SportsLover61 »

I really like those lists. Personally, I don't see anyone else cracking that list
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Lupek arguably could be on both your lists as player and Coach. Not many schools can say that.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

How about the Tom Yewcic that played for Pitt? What's his story? Not saying he should be on here, but I do know a different Tom Yewcic had to fill in for Matt Cavanaugh during the 1976 national championship.
bluejay84
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bluejay84 »

@Manfred - Yes Lupek did have a great career at both the HS and collegiate level. The fact of limiting it to four players only made him one of several possible additions to the list. I wish there was a little more documentation of his HS career.

@Crimson - The Tom Yewcic that played for Pitt was the original Tom's nephew who later had a successful career in PA politics. While it is an awesome accomplishment for anybody from a WestPac/LHAC school to ever suit up for a D1 school regardless of playing time, and get a ring in the process, I just felt that the limits of four made the best candidates those that put up numbers on both levels, not just make a cameo appearance at the next level.
Thanks for the comments and interest in the thread. I was kind of afraid it would bring out the snark of the small school haters.
cleaverstuart
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by cleaverstuart »

Gary Lupek's numbers according to the Altoona Mirror 1,679 points
with a total tallied 712 in 1963-64 which he was also Class B all state selection