Rawlings footballs

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Rawlings footballs

Post by Husker33 »

The PIAA has mandated that all teams must use Rawlings footballs in the playoffs ($650,000 kickback). From everything I've heard, they are cheaply made and fall apart quickly. Another great decision from the PIAA. Maybe they'll raise ticket prices for playoff games, too.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
ramfan25
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Rawlings footballs

Post by ramfan25 »

Honesty the worst balls ever... Not only do they lose their tackiness quickly, but also seem "squarish" when holding. Also seem bigger and cannot be thrown or kicked as far as the good ol Wilson GST
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

someone needs to let the PIAA know then....there are guys on here who know people there very well or have connections....they need to be told so the deal won't be continued after this contract is up....
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Basically this forces the local teams hand to using these footballs throughout the entire year. I know I wouldn't want my team using a ball for the first time in the state playoffs.

Does the PIAA really need the $650k to make ends meet? Are they not a "Not-For-Profit" organization? What will they give back to their members by getting this additional funding?
PrimetimePlayer
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PrimetimePlayer »

We ordered the Rawlings footballs to use throughout the year as we do not want to use them for the first time in the playoffs. We have not received them yet but I hope they are not as bad as advertised as we throw a good deal. The PIAA should have solicited input from the coach's but when money is involved such as the figure that was put out, its likely not going to happen :-\
ramfan25
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ramfan25 »

I don't know of any ball I would switch from the GST... If it isn't broken why fix it?
S Cube
Administrator Team
Administrator Team

Post by S Cube »

This isn't just for football either, it's all PIAA sports. Rawlings baseballs. Rawlings soccer balls. Rawlings everything.
ramfan25
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ramfan25 »

Really the only benefit I would see from this is baseball... Even though the balls still are a little soft compared to wilsons
PLDragons24
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PLDragons24 »

I looked up the Rawlings Pro5 game ball and it seems to have pretty good reviews for the most part. I think we are over reacting to this minor change. The kids will adjust very quickly and I don't think we'll see it have any effects at all.
D6sports101
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by D6sports101 »

I have seen, held, and threw the new ball and have to say it is different. It is not completely "normal". Although it was not what people are used to you do get used to it just like any other thing. In the long run it will not effect anyone just needs some practice. GST is a NICE football and am just confused why the switch.