6 Classes

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 6 Classes

Post by usatf oldguy »

knowitall wrote:The PIAA could go to 64 classes and folks would still be crying about inequity.

To be a state champ you should be the best. Period.
The best at what ? Recruiting. These kind of statements really make me shake my head. I guess by this thinking we should have all teams in one class. A true state champion.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Exactly. stop the charade.

You're the AA champ? Big f'in deal. What the hell is AA?
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Head Roadie wrote:First, Guru1 ... very good post!

Southpaw....the 4 & 2 plan is the one I would prefer also but remember, The "Bohannon Plan" for boundary vs non-boundary schools was steamrolled by the catholic diocese about 3-4 years ago. In fact the PIAA is not permitted to even use that language "non-boundary" any more as a result of pressure put on the legislature from the powerful catholic leaders who don't see it as we do, and feel it is unfair.

And one more point....the PIAA gets the blame for this but in reality this is a state legislature problem. Our legislature FORCED the PIAA to take in PCIAA schools back in 1973. The PIAA can't really do much based on laws forced upon it.
I hear the legislative argument all the time. What was the law? What does it say? There are so called laws all the time that get changed and if this one is 40+ years old its time the PIAA filed a law suit or an injunction to change the law. Or better yet write your state reps and state senators to sponsor a bill to change this ridiculous so called law. In addition the other states around us separate public/private that can be used as a precedent in a law suit against the state legislature. Surely there is a firm out there that will argue this case pro bono or some one out there with deep pockets could foot the bill.
"I'm your huckleberry"
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

southpaw wrote:

Southpaw....the 4 & 2 plan is the one I would prefer also but remember, The "Bohannon Plan" for boundary vs non-boundary schools was steamrolled by the catholic diocese about 3-4 years ago. In fact the PIAA is not permitted to even use that language "non-boundary" any more as a result of pressure put on the legislature from the powerful catholic leaders who don't see it as we do, and feel it is unfair.

And one more point....the PIAA gets the blame for this but in reality this is a state legislature problem. Our legislature FORCED the PIAA to take in PCIAA schools back in 1973. The PIAA can't really do much based on laws forced upon it.
I hear the legislative argument all the time. What was the law? What does it say? There are so called laws all the time that get changed and if this one is 40+ years old its time the PIAA filed a law suit or an injunction to change the law. Or better yet write your state reps and state senators to sponsor a bill to change this ridiculous so called law. In addition the other states around us separate public/private that can be used as a precedent in a law suit against the state legislature. Surely there is a firm out there that will argue this case pro bono or some one out there with deep pockets could foot the bill.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high ... 1404180085
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

billmurray wrote:
southpaw wrote:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high ... 1404180085
Very good article. Unfortunately seems like nothing will get done. Lawsuits threats by the diocese shut down privates being put in different classes. Makes total sense, if you take away the athletic advantage these schools have how many transfers would they really get? You would soon see many of these schools boarded up.
JimmyDe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JimmyDe »

Since 1979 most (all but one) PA Governors have attended Private high schools. The last time the PIAA had a serious discussion about it Tom Ridge (Erie Prep Grad) put the ax to all discussions. To many with private education in the House that the PIAA isn't going to touch the subject until that changes. Same with public to private transfers, PIAA has lost hundreds of thousands trying to fight that battle, it has given up in recent years.
sonofpsycho
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sonofpsycho »

Vouchers are the answer. That way we could get rid of alot of unperforming, go thru the motions, worthless public schools. But then that would give minority kids and poor kids an equal playing field, educationally speaking, so alot of banjo pickin' rednecks who populate the districts that would go away wouldn't want that. Where would they go to drink beer Friday nites???

When schools have to compete everybody wins except the union and tenured 'educators' who are going thru the motions. But then, that's a good system, isnt it? It keeps employment up and is good for the economy, right? All while our kids are deprived of their futures.

the fact that most of PA HS football has become a joke is only one side effect of our current ridiculous 'a public school per neighborhood' system. So is the fact that Pitt cannot keep a football coach. But these issues pale in comparison to the fact that our kids are being shortchanged educationally and developmentally by a system that values a union teacher jobs more than the children they are supposed to be educating.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I heard the University of Indiana is shutting down football, your thoughts? Might drop to D2.
PLDragons24
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PLDragons24 »

All sonofpsycho does is spew BS. PA is ranked 7th in the country in education and 10th at producing high level football players.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

There was a fast response to all the negatives spewed by a certain other poster a few weeks ago. Sonofpsycho can be added to that list by anyone, if they don't like what he has to say.
It ain't over until it's over.