GOTW nominee week 2- Forest Hills vs. Bishop McCort

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

GOTW nominee week 2- Forest Hills vs. Bishop McCort

Post by Coach »

I know two posters who are going to love this week...LOL! Enjoy it guys and keep yourselves under control. You wait for this week all year long and it's finally here. It should be a great game!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: GOTW nominee week 2- Forest Hills vs. Bishop McCort

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I really don't know what to expect in this game. As I mentioned in my preview this game was a big deal in that 2001-2006 time frame. 2007 McCort beat a poor FH team. 2008-2009 both teams were really good, but scheduling and McCort classifying to A did not allow them to play. 2010-11 saw two blowouts for Forest Hills. From 2001-06 both teams were trotting out close to 60 players, offensive lines unmatched by anyone in the area.

2001-McCort won 17-12 in regular season, and 26-21 in playoffs. McCort won D6 AA.
2002-Forest Hills won 40-10 in the D6 AA Championship.
2003-Forest Hills won 19-7 in the playoffs.
2004-McCOrt won the regular season finale 49-15, and won the following week in the playoffs 29-22
2005-Forest Hills won 26-14 in the regular season, and won 31-28 in the D6 AA Championship game.
2006-Bishop McCort won 18-16 and went on to win D6 AA
2007-Bishop McCort won 21-7 and went on to win D6 AA
2008-McCort went 12-1 D6 A Champs. FH 10-2
2009-McCort went 14-1 A Runner up. Fh went 13-1 D6 AA Champ
2010-Forest Hills won 44-10, went on to win D6 AA
2011-Forest Hills won 27-7

So in recap, the past ten years the series is tied 6-6. McCort-5 District Titles. Forest Hills-4 District Titles
These two teams are historically good, and in the past 10 season they can certainly back it up.

Now a days...... Forest Hills has 34 kids, McCort has 37. Both teams start linemen under 200 pounds. All I'm saying, this game does not have the same appearance as it once did. McCort is A, Forest Hills is AA. This is it, no playoff implications down the line.

Still, both teams have some very good players and are in the hunt for their respective classes. Should be a good one, and we should learn a lot about both teams.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

BMCHS "ran away" to single A. What're they going to do when FH's public enrollment allows them to legally do the same? Not too far in the future, either.
It ain't over until it's over.
ramfan
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by ramfan »

Good post, crimson's ghost, I did not realize the series was that close.
jack daniel
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by jack daniel »

Mafred my guess is they'll bolt to single A as well. And Crimson I agree that we're going to find out a lot about both teams Friday night.
"some may say you just got lucky, i personally believe you make your own luck by being good."
Athens/Cat
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Athens/Cat »

We'll be broadcasting live at 7 on our site.
D6 Sports Network - Innovative High School Sports Media and Broadcasting
http://d6sportsnetwork.com/
Follow @D6SN on Twitter ;)
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Great Game! Great Atmosphere. Everything you would want in a High School Football game. Both sides did not play particularly well, but the intensity and effort was outstanding. It made up for all the early season mistakes. I hope this game shows up on next year's schedule.

Forest Hills has a nice young QB in Donahughe. The kid has a lot of poise and will be a good player. My only grief with Forest Hills, they repeated the bubble screen to Shope and he then became the quarterback. Well does that not take away your best receiver? I think Shope out catching the ball brings another threat to the offense. Other than that Forest Hills moved the ball very well. The turnovers and costly penalties are what killed them. Its not like they were false starts or offsides, but roughing the kicker and Qb, pass interference. Big penalties.

McCort's offensice front struggled a bit in pass coverage. The 5 man front for Forest Hills gave them trouble. Tomkowski was able to run the ball and avoid pressure at times. He should have completed a few more passes, but had some dropped balls. Wyatt Jackson ran very well. Jordan Spangler made plays all over the field, coming up big in special teams. I thought the defense led by Nate James and Gap Barbin played well. They came up with the stops and forced the turnovers. They held a good Forest Hills team to just six points. They will only get better with Belskey returning soon.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

....One of my favorite things is to attend a game on Friday night, and then read the account of it on Saturday. Just to see if what was in print is what I saw during the game. Here we go....
....I've always hated the phrase "forced turnovers". Turnovers happen because of good defensive plays, poor offensive execution, or just plain bad luck. The sub-headline of the BM-FH game read "Bishop McCort forces turnovers in win over Forest Hills". If you ask me, only the 1st turnover for FH was a direct result of something the BM defense did. The interception in the endzone was clearly the fault of the offense. And the fumble by Shope after a reception was definitely the result of a spin move by the receiver that went awry. But FORCING turnovers? Maybe the headlines should have read "BM takes advantages of FH turnovers in LHAC win".
....Kevin Sheridan was quoted as saying "Our special teams and defense were outstanding". Really?? BM gave up 332 total yards to FH while only totalling 160. Anyone who was at the game saw what happened. FH shot themselves in the foot, just like PSU did yesterday. "Unforced turnovers and THREE critical penalties certainly cost FH the game. It was NOT the outstanding BM defense that affected the outcome. Even on the last FH drive, BM was reeling. They were on their heels from the beginning of FH's last drive. A critical holding penalty with under 2 minutes took away a FH touchdown which could have won the game. BM defense outstanding? What game was Sheridan watching?
....And BM's outstanding special teams play? Sure they kicked a field goal and one extra point. But other than that, BM's best special teams play was when Spangler was flattened by a FH lineman after a punt. Otherwise, where were all these outstanding special teams plays?
....And one thing that bothered me about the newspaper article. BM was just in a dogfight, a fight that could have ended either way. Why didn't Sheridan have anything to say about Forest Hills? No compliments about their opponent? Most coaches, involved in a game like this, would have made some kind of remark about how tough their opponent was. About how the ball bounced their way? How the crowd saw two good teams slug it out? NOPE!! Not one comment. After sweating out the end of the 4th quarter, Sheridan could have paid some kind of tribute to a worthy opponent. He didn't. Do unto others.
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

Maybe the critical holding call was the result of a the FH player getting beat by a BM defender which resulted in the FH player holding. Sounds like good defense to me.

Maybe the BM coach said wonderful things about FH and the reporter chose not to use those quotes.

I wasnt at the game but sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Sour grapes? Just my opinion of what I saw and read. Crimson just gave his opinion of the game right before me. I did not say that the FH TD that was called back was the wrong call. Never even insinuated it. Just explaining how tight the game was, and how close the "outstanding BM defense" came to losing the game. You would have thought that if Sheridan would have had anything good to say about his opponent; if he would have made a case for how tough this game was, it would have been in print. It wasn't.