Everett

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
rayderplayer
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Everett

Post by rayderplayer »

What is up with Smith at Juniata Valley? I heard he had some trouble following the Huntingdon game in Week 10 and that he wasn't allowed to coach the Homer-Center playoff game, but I didn't hear where he was NOT returning to the Valley next year. Is this true?
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

Smith is at this moment staying put at JV. He has to re-apply for the position, and he his retention is based on certain things he has been requested to do by the board. They are not difficult measures or steps and I suspect he will be back at JV next year, but one never knows.. He also has kids within the district, all of which are really good athletes.
coach1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by coach1 »

I hope one of the stipulations the JV board game Smith was to quit applying to every head coaching job in the area.
footballguy2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by footballguy2 »

coach1 wrote:I hope one of the stipulations the JV board game Smith was to quit applying to every head coaching job in the area.
A lot like a certain delusional coach from right here near Everett. I didn't know when you quit a HC position (after stating that there was no talent for the foreseeable future), that somehow looks good on a resume? And there are even more than him that seemingly apply for every local job, and recycle themselves in every HC opening.
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

footballguy2 -

If I understand you correctly, Smith should be happy with the HC position he has at JV? I can tell personally he is, but please read on.

- Never mind the relentless and baseless claims his offense or defense schemes or coaches are to blame for not winning a D6 title, ICC North titles are not good enough?
- Never mind chasing your passion and dreams to become a big time coach?
- Also he should be thankful to put up with the relentless posse's of wanne be, know it all fans in podunk PA?
- The same local redneck politics that stake claims lil Johnny and the 10 best others should start based on who johnny' last name is, and who pappy and grandpappy are the ones who sound off on Smith applying for bigger and better opportunities.
- Oh and by the way, we dont want you yelling and coaching lil Johnny up! he is already good enough and he doesnt need you to coach him, you need to coach the other ten!

Who else in the rinky dink nowhere of a place of JV, Huntingdon county is going to take a yearly 20 man roster, year in and year out and win?

They should reveling in the fact that they have a coach who knows how to get the maximum out of a tiny roster year in and year out and still WIN!!!!! Instead of wishing him the best and help him chasing his dreams, they criticize him, mock him, tell him to sit down, shut up, and retire in Podunk PA.

The real winner is that place that will come someday that will give Mike Smith the chance he seeks.
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

So.....anything going on at Everett?
footballguy2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by footballguy2 »

d6footballfan wrote:footballguy2 -

If I understand you correctly, Smith should be happy with the HC position he has at JV? I can tell personally he is, but please read on.

- Never mind the relentless and baseless claims his offense or defense schemes or coaches are to blame for not winning a D6 title, ICC North titles are not good enough?
- Never mind chasing your passion and dreams to become a big time coach?
- Also he should be thankful to put up with the relentless posse's of wanne be, know it all fans in podunk PA?
- The same local redneck politics that stake claims lil Johnny and the 10 best others should start based on who johnny' last name is, and who pappy and grandpappy are the ones who sound off on Smith applying for bigger and better opportunities.
- Oh and by the way, we dont want you yelling and coaching lil Johnny up! he is already good enough and he doesnt need you to coach him, you need to coach the other ten!

Who else in the rinky dink nowhere of a place of JV, Huntingdon county is going to take a yearly 20 man roster, year in and year out and win?

They should reveling in the fact that they have a coach who knows how to get the maximum out of a tiny roster year in and year out and still WIN!!!!! Instead of wishing him the best and help him chasing his dreams, they criticize him, mock him, tell him to sit down, shut up, and retire in Podunk PA.

The real winner is that place that will come someday that will give Mike Smith the chance he seeks.
I'm not sure what you are reading with my reply, but I'm not talking about Smith? I have no clue what type of Coach Smith is, other than hearing he is a good guy on here.

I'm talking about our local multi-school applicant Swaim. Who seemingly re-applies to a position he quit a couple years before, then applies to every other local coaching job, making demands like he is a college coach. And there are others too that follow this same format. We need someone new, with new thoughts and ways of ingraining a culture of football into our kids. No a 2.0 version of some local coach, who doesn't have the resume to befit the self-promotion he comes with.
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

If Everett were to somehow land Smith as a coach, he is student first, athlete second. He teaches in the district and not PE or drivers ed. Also he would turn the program around in short fashion. I know that Everett has been blessed with some good athletes with the skills that Coach Smith does quite well with, one is speed and two is size. Those things have been at Everett the past few seasons and Smith would have certainly accomplished a lot more.

Smith definitely is a step up, and he belongs at a much larger setting. There isn't much more that can be done at JV other than to continue to win. I believe he has finished with a winning record 9 out of 10 or 11 years at JV. Pretty remarkable considering the avg. class numbers are in the 50's and 60's with 20 -30 boys in each class 9-12.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on your previous post, I can speak of Smith personally, and I have the highest levels of respect for him.
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

I think Smith was in the mix at Bedford before they hired Dan Smith for the position after Swaim had resigned. But I think at that time Smith and his wife needed a job in order to make the move and Bedford did not have 2 openings. I'm not positive but I think that was the situation.

Footballguy2-

You seem to have a real beef with Swaim for some reason. I'm having trouble figuring it out with you being from Everett what the issue is? I'm guessing you must have been in on the interview "process" @ Everett? Although that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot since I have heard that half the town of Everett was on the "hiring committee". I think I heard PSU had 6 people on theirs, and if what I am told was correct Everett had at least 3X times that many on their interview "team". I guess I shouldn't knock the process though, Everett did hire Kirk, who had a pretty successful run.

Anyway, to think Everett is going to attract some great coach from out of the area is highly unlikely. Wasn't Kirk that guy? They most likely are going to get a local guy. I don't think that is a bad thing but I think maybe this time they should leave the hire up to people that actually know football. Maybe 3 or 4 people in on the decision instead of around 20.

I have heard that Sam Carroll is looking to return to Everett and may be interested in the HC position.

What about another stint by Brian Koontz?
footballguy2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by footballguy2 »

Lefteyelouie wrote:I think Smith was in the mix at Bedford before they hired Dan Smith for the position after Swaim had resigned. But I think at that time Smith and his wife needed a job in order to make the move and Bedford did not have 2 openings. I'm not positive but I think that was the situation.

Footballguy2-

You seem to have a real beef with Swaim for some reason. I'm having trouble figuring it out with you being from Everett what the issue is? I'm guessing you must have been in on the interview "process" @ Everett? Although that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot since I have heard that half the town of Everett was on the "hiring committee". I think I heard PSU had 6 people on theirs, and if what I am told was correct Everett had at least 3X times that many on their interview "team". I guess I shouldn't knock the process though, Everett did hire Kirk, who had a pretty successful run.

Anyway, to think Everett is going to attract some great coach from out of the area is highly unlikely. Wasn't Kirk that guy? They most likely are going to get a local guy. I don't think that is a bad thing but I think maybe this time they should leave the hire up to people that actually know football. Maybe 3 or 4 people in on the decision instead of around 20.

I have heard that Sam Carroll is looking to return to Everett and may be interested in the HC position.

What about another stint by Brian Koontz?
I think that I was pretty transparent on what happened in the original interviews, and yes there was a grouping of people involved. I have no personal issue with Swaim, except for the fact that he apparently does not get the hint that he won't be getting hired around this area anytime soon with the bridges he's burnt along the way (a quick reference check uncovered this fact). The fact remains that he 'quit' (to use your quotation marks) on his Bedford team, then had the audacity to try to get re-hired a couple of years later at the same school. When that blew up in his face, he decided to come here and do his song-and-dance for Everett, all while making ludicrous demands like he was a college coach. He literally got laughed out of the interview, and rightfully so. He obviously thinks much higher of himself that what everyone else thinks (just search old threads on here about his so-called coaching resume).

With that being said, this is why we don't want a recycled coach at the school. I've heard of Sammy Carroll being interested, although with no HC coaching experience, that might be a tough sell. Great kid, and I personally would be behind giving him a shot with a little more experience under his belt. I wouldn't even mind Smith (JV) getting the nod, as the people I've talked with the past couple days speak very highly of him. To summarize, we need a coach that will ignite the fire around here, and build a culture of football the kids can look up to. We have some talented kids coming through and the right coach can really build something special in the years to come.