ICC Week 9

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

ICC Week 9

Post by ICCFan »

Another 5-1 record last week and 36-14 overall now.  Only miss was Mo Valley’s comeback win over Juniata Valley in a game I sensed could go either way.  Bellwood, won versus Mount Union and has a two game lead with just two weeks remaining.  I’ve got Everett as the #2 team in the league right now, is their any truth to the rumor that they could be left out of the District 5 Playoffs?  As of this week I’ve got Mount Union at #3, Mo Valley #4, Juniata Valley at #5 followed by NBC and Williamsburg in a very close and competitive pack behind Bellwood.

Tussey Mountain at Claysburg  –  Tussey Mountain wins the “Cellar Bowl” last week, now can they climb further out from the bottom as they travel to Claysburg.  The Bulldogs have been the most competitive of the bottom level teams this year and I think this game comes down to one thing.  Has Claysburg thrown in the towel yet?  Because I don’t think Tussey Mountain has.  I have mixed feelings here and I’m tempted to take the upset but….CK has by far the better talent and I trust that veteran Coach Dan Foor will find a way to keep them playing hard.  CK 34 TM 24.

Mount Union at Northern Bedford – This is a pivotal game for both teams.  MU coming off two consecutive losses which effectively eliminated them from the league title chase and NBC trying to repeat their October run of 2015.  This is two teams heading in opposite directions.  In what should be a fun game to watch, Northern Bedford offense will be too much.  NB 40 Mount Union 26.

Bellwood at Southern Huntingdon  – Bellwood plows forward.  Southern Huntingdon is competitive but won’t be able to keep pace with the Blue Devils.  In a yawner, Bellwood 30 S.Huntingdon 3.

Everett at Williamsburg –  This could be an entertaining and high scoring game.  Both teams have exciting offenses and it’s a key game for both teams heading into the home stretch and presumably, the playoffs for both.  Everett has not played as well on the road and I see that trend continuing.  Williamsburg offense more than capable of keeping pace.  Turnovers will be the key.  Williamsburg 48 Everett 46 in double OT!

West Branch at Mo Valley – This could be an interesting matchup in the Northern extremes of the conference rivalry game.  Jake Murawski went over the 1,000 yard mark in rushing last week and with his running and Coach Keith having them ready to play another tough game, I say Mo Valley prevails.  MV 28 W.Branch 14.

Juniata Valley at Glendale  -  Juniata Valley lost a tough one last week to Mo Valley and needs to get back on track.  I’ve liked the aggressive hard hitting style of the Hornets all year and I say they rebound nicely versus a Glendale squad that saw their only chance of a win go down the drain last week.  JV 47 Glendale 2.
superstar25
Senior
Senior

Re: ICC Week 9

Post by superstar25 »

Everett will be in the D5 AA playoffs most likely the number 4 seed.
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

Not so fast, my friend on the Everett deal....Westinghouse might qualify for the Pittsburgh City Championship...That game is set for the weekend of Nov 4-5...If they are not available for the D5-8 AA first round playoffs, they will be given a bye to the Veterans' Day week Finals, and only the two other high seeded teams will play the only semi...Those teams would be Berlin and Chestnut Ridge. Westinghouse would have never made the top two city teams in the past...the year they might, could end Everett's season in October against Juniata Valley.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Sneakers wrote:Not so fast, my friend on the Everett deal....Westinghouse might qualify for the Pittsburgh City Championship...That game is set for the weekend of Nov 4-5...If they are not available for the D5-8 AA first round playoffs, they will be given a bye to the Veterans' Day week Finals, and only the two other high seeded teams will play the only semi...Those teams would be Berlin and Chestnut Ridge. Westinghouse would have never made the top two city teams in the past...the year they might, could end Everett's season in October against Juniata Valley.
I'm not following your post.  Are you saying that Everett would be out if Westinghouse plays in the Pittsburgh City Championship?  I read your post as Westinghouse would get an automatic bid to the D5-8 AA championship game because they have a commitment to play in the city championship game.  I can't see how that would make any sense.  Why would Everett be eliminated if the other team can't play on the specified playoff date?
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

This is the information posted on the district 5 website.  If it's an open tournament any school in that classification can enter.  There is no way they could be "kicked out" of the playoffs. 

Class AA Playoffs
An open playoff to include the District 8 representative with semifinals
Saturday Nov. 5
at the highest seed and Championship Game
Fri. Nov. 11
at a neutral site TBA.
“AA” Champion will play the District 9 Champion in a State 1
st
round contest Nov 18
-
at a District 9 site.
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

Does anyone have any clarification on this. It would make no sense that a team would have to miss the playoffs because another team had a "City League Championship" to go to. I haven't seen much as far as District 5-8 AA rankings go, but as it stands now I would assume it is #1 Berlin (7-1), #2 CR (5-3), #3 Everett (5-3), #4 Westinghouse (4-3). Depending on how the rest of the season goes (final records, points), #2 and #3 and #4 could potentially change. If it stays the same and the "City League Championship" thing happens, how could they justify having the #1 and #2 teams play in the semi's and then letting the #4 team go straight to the championship? I'm a understanding correctly as to what was written earlier?
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

From what I understand, if Westinghouse ends with a better record than the #4 and plays in the City Championship Game then the #4 will not get into the playoffs. It's a rough situation, so Everett needs to win its final two games.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

I'll try it this way with Husker's post helping...If Westinghouse is higher than the #4 seed and is unavailable to play week #11 because of City League Championship commitments I'm hearing they will knock out D5's #4.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

I believe you but that makes zero sense to me.  In a four team bracket it is 1v4 and 2v3.  If Westinghouse isn't there to play and they are the 3 or 4 seed wouldn't it make sense that they forfeit and not punish the lower seed that they wouldn't be playing anyway.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

TheAnalyst wrote:I believe you but that makes zero sense to me.  In a four team bracket it is 1v4 and 2v3.  If Westinghouse isn't there to play and they are the 3 or 4 seed wouldn't it make sense that they forfeit and not punish the lower seed that they wouldn't be playing anyway.
Considering Chestnut Ridge could be that 4th seed that has played a much tougher schedule than the others
If only closed minds came with closed mouths