Bishop Carroll Joins Mountain League as 2A School

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bishop Carroll Joins Mountain League as 2A School

Post by dougkeklak »

It's kind of like the way some people say the SEC is overrated as a whole because Alabama is so good. Not that I agree with that, just showing the frame of mind.
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

dougkeklak wrote:That is an excellent response.  While I too am of the opinion that I think the WPIAL tends to be overrated, it's more of glance that a lot of people have that would just look at a WPIAL team vs any other team in the state and just automatically give the nod as favorite to the WPIAL like people don't play football anywhere else.  The good teams are very good and they tend to overrate the district as a whole is all.   It's hard to compare because they just have so many more schools than other districts.
Exactly.  For the next 2 years the WPIAL will have 30 2A teams.  D6 will have around 10.  Just the law of averages tells you the WPIAL will have a better "best" 2A team than D6 and by the same token a worse "worst" team.
But that's why they play games and why teams like Tyrone have beaten the WPIAL champ in the past.  I believe Forest Hills has as well, not sure.  It doesn't happen often because its just not likely given the amount of teams.
jayjay6218
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Bishop Carroll Joins Mountain League as 2A School

Post by jayjay6218 »

Fballrules17 wrote:
dougkeklak wrote:That is an excellent response.  While I too am of the opinion that I think the WPIAL tends to be overrated, it's more of glance that a lot of people have that would just look at a WPIAL team vs any other team in the state and just automatically give the nod as favorite to the WPIAL like people don't play football anywhere else.  The good teams are very good and they tend to overrate the district as a whole is all.   It's hard to compare because they just have so many more schools than other districts.
Exactly.  For the next 2 years the WPIAL will have 30 2A teams.  D6 will have around 10.  Just the law of averages tells you the WPIAL will have a better "best" 2A team than D6 and by the same token a worse "worst" team.
But that's why they play games and why teams like Tyrone have beaten the WPIAL champ in the past.  I believe Forest Hills has as well, not sure.  It doesn't happen often because its just not likely given the amount of teams.

Actually one of the Tyrone guys correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Tyrone actually has a winning record against the WPIAL Champ. Their Achilles Heel was always the D10 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Yea Tyrone is 4-1 against the WPIAL.
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

Didn't know that. Tyrone has a great tradition.