Johnstown leaving the LHAC

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Johnstown leaving the LHAC

Post by sportsfan1000 »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:With them now being the only 4a team in the LHAC would it be a smart move for them to maybe get out of the conference and get into a bigger one? I can’t see how playing mostly 2a schools will benifit them in the long run. Somerset is going down to 3a and FH is down to 2a while McCort is eligible to play 1a
A few random thoughts regarding this nonsense.
Johnstown has played the best team (with the exception of State College ) in D6, D9, or D5 every year in BG.  How exactly going to the MAC would help prepare them over the LHAC?
How would playing Penns Valley and PO on the road keep interest up as opposed to playing neighbors such as Westmont and Richland where the kids know each other?
Johnstown should spend more $ traveling because of the unprovable notion a better schedule would "prepare" them better for the post season?
Moving to the LHAC in 2001 saved this program.
Johnstown made it to the final 8 last year.  They could have played an all 6A schedule and they weren't beating Bethlehem Central Catholic last year.
Win most of your games and you at least the 2 seed in 4A.  Johnstown should change conferences so they MAY get more power points and get a 1 seed? For what? So they can wear their home jerseys in the district championship?  
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:But does it really prepare them for winning it and in the states? I’d have to say no way in hell does it help them play other 4a schools
If they are good enough to win States they will win States.  
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

If the beat teams for all of D6 are in the LHAC what do they gain by playing worse competition?
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

If the best teams are in the LHAC every year why even have district playoffs? Just give the crown to the best A, AA,AAA, and AAAA from that conference every year.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

I’m sure Central, Tyrone, Huntingdon, PM, NC, HC, and BA would have something to say about that. I’ll even include Portage since they are mostly competitive every year.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Now I have no idea what you’re typing about.  It makes no sense for Greater Johnstown to change conferences because Somerset has ten fewer boys in its school now.
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

knowitall wrote:Now I have no idea what you’re typing about.  It makes no sense for Greater Johnstown to change conferences because Somerset has ten fewer boys in its school now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking the OP is making less sense with every post.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Being in the LHAC and D6 is a lot about travel and location than anything else. 
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

While I would say the Mountain League is a better option than those that want the Trojans to return to the WPIAL, there is no reason, benefit or advantage to do this. Remember, the LHAC is an all-sports conference. The winter and spring sports that play 2-3 contests per week would be especially taxed. It makes no sense for Johnstown to leave the LHAC. They are always going to be the lone or one of the few larger classified teams in this league, just the way it's going to be. I too used to lament about their always being behind the 8-ball as far as amassing points because of not playing equal or bigger schools, but I think over the years that's been an overplayed angle. In '07 they were 7-3 and got left out of the postseason, but that was an outlier. And they, like many other schools, have played in the postseason in times where they've been under .500.
DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DCor50 »

Greater Johnstown isn't leaving the LHAC. But what I find ironic, is the same people stating reasons for them to stay (Konjo78) are the same ones that post that Ligonier Valley should leave the Heritage because they are AA. Johnstown is the only AAAA team in the LHAC. So that means they should win the conference every year. Right? They're the biggest so they should win. That's Konjo78's theory on LV. Hmmmm....