What will be left...

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: What will be left...

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Boomer58 wrote:
Jjones wrote:Let’s not forget about those McCort and Carroll runs and that’s only speaking for D6. They may have not won but they have been there multiple times. And competitively balanced? So you’re saying that a team like HC will make a state final appearance 2 -3 years in a row? A public school is lucky to make it to their district championship that many consecutive times and I do not consider SC a typical public school. Participation trophies would be nice but it would be a lot nicer if public’s could have open enrollment boarders.
I’m new to this forum, and based on the constant rehashing of an issue that isn’t going to be resolved by any of us, I will not be participating on this site much longer. It’s ridiculous. You don’t like Catholic schools....ok, we get it, move on. Some of you just don’t like Catholics...whatever, that’s a “you” problem, move on. 
Now one more thing that you all seem to forget...public schools do have “open borders.”  You can pay the cost of education to attend public schools if you reside in another district.  When my kids were younger, we looked into it...if you want to go to Westmont, good, pay the tuition and shut up. It’s kinda the same thing families at private schools do, huh?  Problem is it’s cost prohibitive and nobody wants to do it.  In fact, Johnstown passed a rule (that just happened to coincide with the hiring of a coach hired away from a private school... who had two athletic boys) that even if you lived in another school district, as long as you were employed by the district you could send your kids to Johnstown at no charge.  Gee, that doesn’t sound like recruiting, or open borders at all, does it?  
If you are thinking about public/private school unbalance and inequities more than 2 seconds a day, you are wasting your time and doing nothing but stirring up emotions and controversy where none belong. People send their children to schools that are different from yours....get over it. And before you throw out the next favorite defense of the ill-informed, mainly that private schools should have their own championships, remember this...if they aren’t governed by the same rules that public’s are, then you are REALLY going to see some recruiting..and if that happens, what are you going to do when a larger portion of athletes go to privates?  Before you start complaining and offering hare-brain solutions, realize there are consequences much larger, than what you can conceive of.  So for the love of God, forget about this and move on....root for your school and let others do the same. 
Spoken like a true Private School supporter. True, you can pay tuition and go wherever you want. But it's more expensive and last I checked Westmont doesn't offer lift scholarships to athletes who go to Johnstown but want to go to Westmont. 
WhiteOwl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WhiteOwl »

Ok, let's check this same topic at the end of February where you will see who dominates the basketball playoffs. Privates and Charter schools will dominate. Just saying!
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

WhiteOwl wrote:Ok, let's check this same topic at the end of February where you will see who dominates the basketball playoffs. Privates and Charter schools will dominate. Just saying!
I honestly think basketball needs it’s on separate attention just simply due to the fact that it’s sooo easy to build a great basketball team by skirting the rules.  You only need 5 guys.  Especially all boy or girl schools.  I think the public/private thing overall is just crying over spilled milk most of the time, but b-ball has a problem.  Mostly a charter problem tho...  
Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Jjones »

I don’t know what you’re smoking boomer58 but please share brother lol!!!
Safetyblitz
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Safetyblitz »

CCDevil2012 wrote:
Boomer58 wrote:
Jjones wrote:Let’s not forget about those McCort and Carroll runs and that’s only speaking for D6. They may have not won but they have been there multiple times. And competitively balanced? So you’re saying that a team like HC will make a state final appearance 2 -3 years in a row? A public school is lucky to make it to their district championship that many consecutive times and I do not consider SC a typical public school. Participation trophies would be nice but it would be a lot nicer if public’s could have open enrollment boarders.
I’m new to this forum, and based on the constant rehashing of an issue that isn’t going to be resolved by any of us, I will not be participating on this site much longer. It’s ridiculous. You don’t like Catholic schools....ok, we get it, move on. Some of you just don’t like Catholics...whatever, that’s a “you” problem, move on. 
Now one more thing that you all seem to forget...public schools do have “open borders.”  You can pay the cost of education to attend public schools if you reside in another district.  When my kids were younger, we looked into it...if you want to go to Westmont, good, pay the tuition and shut up. It’s kinda the same thing families at private schools do, huh?  Problem is it’s cost prohibitive and nobody wants to do it.  In fact, Johnstown passed a rule (that just happened to coincide with the hiring of a coach hired away from a private school... who had two athletic boys) that even if you lived in another school district, as long as you were employed by the district you could send your kids to Johnstown at no charge.  Gee, that doesn’t sound like recruiting, or open borders at all, does it?  
If you are thinking about public/private school unbalance and inequities more than 2 seconds a day, you are wasting your time and doing nothing but stirring up emotions and controversy where none belong. People send their children to schools that are different from yours....get over it. And before you throw out the next favorite defense of the ill-informed, mainly that private schools should have their own championships, remember this...if they aren’t governed by the same rules that public’s are, then you are REALLY going to see some recruiting..and if that happens, what are you going to do when a larger portion of athletes go to privates?  Before you start complaining and offering hare-brain solutions, realize there are consequences much larger, than what you can conceive of.  So for the love of God, forget about this and move on....root for your school and let others do the same. 
Spoken like a true Private School supporter. True, you can pay tuition and go wherever you want. But it's more expensive and last I checked Westmont doesn't offer lift scholarships to athletes who go to Johnstown but want to go to Westmont. 
Well ccdevil you sound knowledgeable on the subject, what is the cost for a student to attend a different public high school other then their home district?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I'm sure the tuition, for example, to attend FH if you live in the Portage school district, is QUITE expensive, comparable to the tuition paid to attend one of the Bishops. The problem is, a transfer like that (public to public without physically moving) involving an athlete, would be THOROUGHLY scrutinized by the district to make sure the transfer was NOT for athletic reasons. Public to private transferring seems to be sloughed off more so, because of "other" reasons for transferring (such as discipline, religion, safer environment, etc).
Safetyblitz
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Safetyblitz »

El-Moldo wrote:I'm sure the tuition, for example, to attend FH if you live in the Portage school district, is QUITE expensive, comparable to the tuition paid to attend one of the Bishops. The problem is, a transfer like that (public to public without physically moving) involving an athlete, would be THOROUGHLY scrutinized by the district to make sure the transfer was NOT for athletic reasons. Public to private transferring seems to be sloughed off more so, because of "other" reasons for transferring (such as discipline, religion, safer environment, etc).
So let me get this straight. The bishops can offer a more disciplined, safer, religious,etc. for less money then a government founded public school?I am sure people must only be going there for athletics then!(sarcasm)
Safetyblitz
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Safetyblitz »

I know the lefties and teachers union won't like this but the answer is school choice with open school district boarders and a voucher program. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

http://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/T ... 617use.pdf
Feel free to look up your specific district but most local schools fall between $9-11,000 per year with Ferndale and Blacklick being the most at 12k. Compare that to $6,350 for McCort, $6,300 for BC, and around $6,000 for BG. Plus they are able to offer assistance via "scholarships" and donations. 
Don't understand what makes a catholic school more disciplined or safe. Do they have armed security standing outside to make sure no one enters with showing their cross and saying the Lord's Prayer? I don't see any evidence that the schools are even better or worse academically. I doubt they're able to keep the best educators in the state with $20,000 salaries when the state can offer $40,000 and state retirement/benefits. 
Lionspride
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Lionspride »

CMM52 wrote:
WhiteOwl wrote:Ok, let's check this same topic at the end of February where you will see who dominates the basketball playoffs. Privates and Charter schools will dominate. Just saying!
I honestly think basketball needs it’s on separate attention just simply due to the fact that it’s sooo easy to build a great basketball team by skirting the rules.  You only need 5 guys.  Especially all boy or girl schools.  I think the public/private thing overall is just crying over spilled milk most of the time, but b-ball has a problem.  Mostly a charter problem tho...  
Not so fast about the privates and charters. Look what the Juniata Valley girls were able to do last year. They made it to the state championship game with only 60% of there starting roster being transfers. Lol! Take them off there "public" school team and they are not making it out of districts.