Referee Shortage?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Referee Shortage?

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Spoke to a local Head Coach tonight, and he said people are having trouble getting referees for this upcoming season.  You may see a few more Thursday night games or Saturday games sprinkled in here and there this season, as some crews may double up and do a game on back to back nights.  
I want to say that happened to Shade and Conemaugh Township late in the year last season, and they opted to play on a Thursday night. 
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Referee Shortage?

Post by Manfred »

Long-time officials are getting older, and have had enough. Physically not able to perform at their best, or whatever reasons they have, they want to ease into their golden years gracefully. Younger generations not willing to become officials for several reasons, mainly $$ offered not worth their time.
It ain't over until it's over.
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

I’m sure the abuse they get from coaches, players and fans doesn’t help either!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Its an interesting dilema. Ive thought about signing up in Washington to become an official, because i usually spend friday nights watching football anyways, but the classes needed and more is overdoing it for a part time job
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

Somebody send this to say-oww. He knows everything about officiating. He could probably do a whole football game by himself. Like I've said a lot on this site. Instead of criticizing us, come join us if you all think it is so easy to do it. I have 2 varsity seasons left before I hang it up.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

reugenev wrote:I’m sure the abuse they get from coaches, players and fans doesn’t help either!
A few years ago, I got online, and printed a bunch of literature and forms, with the intent of becoming a PIAA official.
I put it on the top of my fridge.
I'm not one to shy away from an argument, and I'm okay with constructive criticism of myself.
But, while that application laid on the top of my fridge,....for a couple years, I really paid attention to how abusive people are to high school officials.
I saw little, to nothing, that resembled constructive criticism, or simply good, logistical argument, citing rules, etc.  Nope. Just vicious, nasty ripping of underpaid officials, because the "ripper's" team lost.
I threw that application paperwork in the trash. At this point in my life, dealing with uninformed idiots is not overly appealing.  I do occasionally dispute a call, or argue a rule, that I believe was incorrect. But, personally, verbally attacking a high school official,...ahhh, no, I'm not one of that herd.
May God bless the officials we Do have with patience, ....and a deaf ear to the lunacy.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I don't think football would be too horrible, but basketball....forget about it. I've been out of school ten years now and the refs are the same. I don't know why anyone would want to listen to the obnoxious parent in the stands that doesn't no diddly about the sport other than their kids is the best ever and will go pro....
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

Sounds like some of you guys understand how wonderful it is out here on the field and court. Most of us do it for the kids, some don't. Something needs to be done soon, because whether you like it or not the games can't be played without us.In due time everybody will take notice.
Safetyblitz
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Safetyblitz »

dadw/2sons wrote:Sounds like some of you guys understand how wonderful it is out here on the field and court. Most of us do it for the kids, some don't. Something needs to be done soon, because whether you like it or not the games can't be played without us.In due time everybody will take notice.
So you are a piaa official and you come on here with your Catholic school prejudice!!!!??
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

People should pass a douche test before being aloud to post. Just an observation.