Low Numbers

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Low Numbers

Post by SouthSide Johnny »

Blacklick Valley is playing a full JV Football Schedule - they have eight games scheduled and will play Portage, North Star, Shade, Township, Conemaugh Valley, Ferndale, Windber and Berlin.  Last year they played Bishop Carroll to fill in for another school who dropped a game with them.
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Blacklick Valley currently has 34 on their roster.
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

Sayoww. What if I told you, I was under 30 years old. And a lot younger than you think. Fact of the matter is kids are puss bags anymore. Afraid they’ll get hurt no matter what they do. And bigger and faster? Maybe these espn kids that go to big time colleges but around here they all look smaller, video game playing, gluten free eating sissies. Even compared to just five years ago
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

crfball what the heck is wrong with you man???? Football and sports aren't everything. If kids aren't playing sports that doesn't make them sissies, maybe it actually makes them smart.
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Sorry my bad!  It was Glendale that cancelled JV, not Blacklick.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Cambria County Population:
1980- 183,000    1990- 163,000     2017- 133,000
Let's not make this something it isn't. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

crfball wrote:Sayoww. What if I told you, I was under 30 years old. And a lot younger than you think. Fact of the matter is kids are puss bags anymore. Afraid they’ll get hurt no matter what they do. And bigger and faster? Maybe these espn kids that go to big time colleges but around here they all look smaller, video game playing, gluten free eating sissies. Even compared to just five years ago
So did you play flute or clarinet in the Chestnut Ridge band?
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

I heard CV and Shade are cancelling JV and Township and Blacklick will play each other JV both hime and away.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

crfball wrote:Sayoww. What if I told you, I was under 30 years old. And a lot younger than you think. Fact of the matter is kids are puss bags anymore. Afraid they’ll get hurt no matter what they do. And bigger and faster? Maybe these espn kids that go to big time colleges but around here they all look smaller, video game playing, gluten free eating sissies. Even compared to just five years ago
Isn't yours the generation that wears skinny jeans and your hair in buns? I don't blame anyone that doesn't want to play football. It's not for everyone. Plus it's a numbers game, less kids, more options, everything suffers.
marley1
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by marley1 »

In addition to some very good points made, burnout may also be a factor. Many kids around here start tackle football in 2nd grade. Serra High School in San Mateo CA, has a flag football program until 7th or 8th grade. Think Tom Brady, Lynn Swann and Barry Bonds - all Serra graduates. Their philosophy is that tackling at such a young age discourages a lot of kids.