WestPAC Preview - 2018

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

WestPAC Preview - 2018

Post by 12HankQB »

I was hoping someone else would post, but here we go.

Blacklick Valley Vikings - Last Season 4-7 

The Vikings lost 5 seniors from last year, most of which were receivers. However, they return their QB Corey Simmons who threw for 1866 yards, 18 TDS, and 17 INTS and he retains one of his favorite targets in Jude Gdula, who amassed 756 yards and 10 TD's. With 10 returning seniors and 8 juniors, hopefully this team can improve upon last year’s numbers. They have size and experience upfront, which could add a nice run game to compliment the passing. The defense looked shaky at times last year giving up big plays, if they can tighten things up. I expect an above average season. It looks like this team has all the pieces, let's see how they put it together and may the Norse gods bless them.

Berlin Brothersvalley Mountaineers - Last Season 10-2

The Mountaineers were hit with graduation from last season. Losing 17 seniors at key positions. This team is very young with 9 seniors, 4 juniors, 22 sophomores, and 14 freshmen. They'll be relying on the underclassmen all over the field. I believe Will Spochart, is going to have the starting nod. There's going to be a lot of on the job training this year for that young man. He'll be complimented by seniors Isaiah Paul and Peyton Harding. Isiah is a do-it-all type player, he'll run, catch, and even through from time to time. Junior Cole Blubaugh looks to be the next in line for great Berlin backs. He has great speed. The line returns a few upper classmen on each side of the ball. They'll have to be the rock for this team. The group is young, but I would still expect great results. We've seen how well head coach Doug Paul has his team ready week in and week out. He has fine-tuned his coaching over the years. I’m excited to watch the youth movement sight in on winning.

Meyersdale Red Raiders – Last Season 4-6

The Red Raiders are under the new guidance of the 2008 Meyersdale grad Ryan Donaldson. Ryan was previously an assistant coach, wishing him well on a great start to maybe a long fruitful journey. His Raiders have 4 seniors but bolstered by a large junior group. They’re inexperienced at the QB and WR positions, but return junior Devin Kretchman at runningback. This is another youth movement, but they have a nice amount of size, especially in the young receiving core. This will be a transition with the new leadership and younger team. I expect an average or slighty above average year to build the war party on next season with 13 juniors.

North Star Cougars – Last Season 4-7

The Cougars started last season hot, going 3-1, only to win one game the rest of the season. They graduated 12 seniors and have only 5 seniors this season. They still have their top rusher and receiver in Hunter Tremain and Alec Supanick. They will have to carry a heavy load this year. Expect a big dose of Tremain every game. They do not have a lot of size so power football may be an issue. Big things can come in small packages though so we’ll stay optimistic until we see what they can do in games. Large freshmen class with size coming up, so maybe a down year clawing up.

Conemaugh Valley Blue Jays – Last Season 0-10

The Blue Jays fell on broken wings last season. They were able to score a few points, but the defense was not there. They have a large senior group with good size. They return their QB, leading rusher, and a top receiver. Bryce Mccleester threw for a respectable 1,039 yards last season. This is another team that will be much improved if they can play solid defense. The biggest question mark for the Jays is health. With a smaller roster, any injury can ruin your season. Stay healthy, make some noise, and climb the pecking order..

Ferndale Yellow Jackets – Last Season 9-4

The Jackets are coming off of their best season in a long time. Losing Kinsey, Mitchell, Grow, Herring and Pudliner will hurt, a lot. Like 2,613 yards worth. They have some holes to fill with new faces, but maybe new stars in the waiting. We’ll see how it plays out. 12 seniors and 16 juniors will make for a strong core. Most of their linemen have returned for a second tour at the hive. Don’t expect the explosiveness of last season through the air, but a more balanced team that will sting you.

Conemaugh Township Indians – Last Season 2-8

The Indians have me thinking two things this season: another Myers work horse and isn’t Jordan Poznanski fun to watch. Poznanski is a very talented runningback that also plays quarterback. He had 1,337 on the ground with 14 TDS. If anyone has seen him play any sport, they know how fun he is to watch. Myers going to do what Myers do best, pound you in the mouth on both sides of the ball. The tribe is another team that’s smaller in size, but should show much improvement. I think they chop their way to the playoffs this year. Good luck Sam and the Indians of Davidsille.

Windber Ramblers – Last Season 8-3

The Ramblers nearly won the district championship a year ago with their two headed monster, falling only 3 points short. The lost 75% of their O with Simanski and Quinn graduating, but they return a good line. Windber’s offense always has a few horses in the stable. Most grandmothers can have 1,000 yards the way they run the ball out of the Single-Wing. I don’t doubt they return with new faces in the back field to compliment Hanik at QB. They take a few steps back, but not for long. I’d expect a slow start then a strong finish. Ramble on.

Portage Mustangs – Last Season 8-3

The Stangs are back with another big roster. Are we surprised? Gary Gouse and the Portage community live for fall. Portage lost some good players from last year. Wiggins, Randazzo, McCabe, etc. Seniors were the bulk of the offense. They have Connor Price back after a good Sophomore season at QB. Expect good things from him. Portage is a team that usually reloads every year. They will have a big line as normal so the biggest issue is skill positions and who will take over carrying the load. Usually their offensive line with the Wing-T is enough to trot over a lot of schools. They’ll be near the top because they don’t know any different.

Shade Panthers – 4-7

The Panthers are poised to strike as Myron would say. They had a bad start to last season with a hot finish. They can put up points in bunches. Brady Fyfe is finally a well-polished senior, sorry Don, with a great supporting cast. Basketball rivals become a great football duo with Fyfe and Dawson Snyder (of Shankville), throw Mauger and Addleman into the mix and you have a recipe for points. Fyfe had 2,334 yards through the air and 1,067 yards on the ground a year ago. If this team discovered their defense over the summer, look out! Maybe they'll pounce on a D5 title for the first time in a long time.

Should be an exciting season, there’s a lot of new faces coaching and playing. I’m only depressed that summers nearing an end.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: WestPAC Preview - 2018

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Excellent Preview Hank who do you have winning westpac
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Wrasslerfan wrote:Excellent Preview Hank who do you have winning westpac
Give me a day and I'll answer that...
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Ok sounds good with me
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I liked this Shade team, I know it was week one, but a very young Mountaineer team could've won that game. Even after spotting them 24-0. I wasn't a huge fan of the play calling.
Portage is so hard to judge. They always seem to run over the teams they should, until they face a bigger team, I have to have them near the top.
I was very impressed on the response from the Berlin boys. If they can continue to improve, who knows.
Township and Meyersdale have some power. I could see either getting in a slugfest with Portage. CT's Jordan Poznanski is one of the best athletes in the conference. After only winning 2 last year, this team looked 100% better. You can still watch the game on WJAC-TV.
CV just had an impressive win. I know NS is down, but I said in the preview they had the kids coming back to score. They played big defense in week one.
Until proven otherwise, Portage is my gut to win. This may change next week with the CV-Shade, Berlin-CT matchups.
lilIndian91
Freshman
Freshman

Post by lilIndian91 »

That is indeed a great preview. Don't trust your gut on this one though. Portage started sluggish and Blacklick gassed out. I just don't see it this year but I've been fooled by Coach Gouse before. My instincts say Shade has way to much offensive firepower to lose in this league. I would be remiss if I didn't tip my hat to Berlin who buckled down hung tuff. I've heard some chatter that Meyersdale may be stronger than some believe.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

lilIndian91 wrote:That is indeed a great preview. Don't trust your gut on this one though. Portage started sluggish and Blacklick gassed out. I just don't see it this year but I've been fooled by Coach Gouse before. My instincts say Shade has way to much offensive firepower to lose in this league. I would be remiss if I didn't tip my hat to Berlin who buckled down hung tuff. I've heard some chatter that Meyersdale may be stronger than some believe.
Yea, I don't think any team is a hands down favorite, especially after week one. Take a hand full of darts and throw them at the board.