A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pitt?Penn State

Post by 12HankQB »

I'm going to end the argument.
Article
[font=open_sansregular]"Analysts can go in many different directions when breaking down what went wrong for Pitt on Saturday night in the 51-6 loss to Penn State.[/font]
[font=open_sansregular]But in order to simplify matters, you could merely dwell on the score 45-11, which isn’t far from what was on the Heinz Field scoreboard at the end of the night.[/font]
[font=open_sansregular]That’s the number of four- and five-start recruits, according to rivals.com, the two schools reeled in from 2015-2018.[/font]
[font=open_sansregular]Translation: Penn State has better players. Instead of vilifying Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi, who was far from at his best Saturday night, one could wonder how in the name of Grantland Rice it was a one-score game well into the third quarter.[/font]
[font=open_sansregular]Eventually, talent wins the day"[/font]
[font=open_sansregular]Chaz Palla Trib Review[/font]

[font=open_sansregular]I know, JoePa knew, but PSU is the standard[/font]
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt?Penn State

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Hankie, for once Enzo agrees.
Watching the game also made me think about ole Alex Hoenstine at PSU.  Was it worth walking on at PSU?  There is so much talent above him that meaningful playing time may never happen.   If you were good enough to walk on at PSU, couldn't you have actually gone some where to play?  I know the Central fans will pounce and talk about where he is on the depth chart and how much the coaches like him.  But the same goes for my beloved hero, Colin Smith.   I love him, greatest LV player I have seen, but let's be honest not a divsion 1 power 5 school defensive back.  He is doing well at his new school and lots of rumors that he will be taking snaps at a new school next year.  I want to see these guys play, not be scout team foder for a bunch of five star recruits.
You have to wonder if Lamont Wade has some regrets, leaves school early to get a position change and not be a starter.  Wonder if he would be starting at Pitt?  I am sure his goal is NFL like Boyd, but will he be able to get there?
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Pat Narduzzi loves to poke the bear. Whether it be documented cases of him telling recruits that the NCAA is considering reissuing the Sandusky sanctions against Penn State, or him tweeting #H2P within minutes of every Penn State loss, or subtweeting high school recruits after they commit to Penn State, or lasts week saying he hasn’t seen (a true sophomore and B1G all-freshman team member) Lamont Wade on the field much for Penn State, or creating keychains to celebrate a week 2 non-conference game win, and so on and so forth. 

Well the bear poked back. 

All we heard the entire offseason is now that Pitt finally has a QB, they will be able to compete in so many more games. He attempted 18 passes for 55 yards in a game in which they never led and trailed most of the second half by multiple scores.

The start of the snowball effect for Pitt is when Narduzzi took a 15 yard penalty because he once again couldn’t keep his cool on the sidelines. The possession before Pitt got a gracious 15 yards with late hit against Penn State. Did Franklin lose his head and cost Penn State 15 yards while arguing? No. 

I’ve been saying this for a few years now but Pitt really needs evaluate the direction Narduzzi is leading them. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

EnzoLigoniere wrote:Hankie, for once Enzo agrees.
Watching the game also made me think about ole Alex Hoenstine at PSU.  Was it worth walking on at PSU?  There is so much talent above him that meaningful playing time may never happen.   If you were good enough to walk on at PSU, couldn't you have actually gone some where to play?  I know the Central fans will pounce and talk about where he is on the depth chart and how much the coaches like him.  But the same goes for my beloved hero, Colin Smith.   I love him, greatest LV player I have seen, but let's be honest not a divsion 1 power 5 school defensive back.  He is doing well at his new school and lots of rumors that he will be taking snaps at a new school next year.  I want to see these guys play, not be scout team foder for a bunch of five star recruits.
You have to wonder if Lamont Wade has some regrets, leaves school early to get a position change and not be a starter.  Wonder if he would be starting at Pitt?  I am sure his goal is NFL like Boyd, but will he be able to get there?
If you aren't NFL material you probably should pick a college based on academics and what you want to do in life.  Once you do this then it is up to you if you want to participate in extracurricular activities.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

Hank, I was at the game and what stood out more than anything is that Pitt, literally has no game breakers at the skill positions. The days of Fitzgerald, McCoy & even Conner seem VERY distant.  Penn State on the other hand, is LOADED with game breakers at ALL the skill positions.  How can you not put at least some of the blame on Narduzzi for not getting the 4-5 recruits?  Under crippling sanctions Penn State has recovered and are getting more 4-5 star recruits than ever.
I personally would love to see this game continue in the future, but it makes no sense for Penn State.  Sadly, this is no longer a rivalry game, no matter what Narduzzi thinks.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

ERAChamp wrote:Hank, I was at the game and what stood out more than anything is that Pitt, literally has no game breakers at the skill positions. The days of Fitzgerald, McCoy & even Conner seem VERY distant.  Penn State on the other hand, is LOADED with game breakers at ALL the skill positions.  How can you not put at least some of the blame on Narduzzi for not getting the 4-5 recruits?  Under crippling sanctions Penn State has recovered and are getting more 4-5 star recruits than ever.
I personally would love to see this game continue in the future, but it makes no sense for Penn State.  Sadly, this is no longer a rivalry game, no matter what Narduzzi thinks.
Agreed, the first half was fun listening to the crowd roar for both teams. I love this game for our local area. Same with WVU. This game was just too sloppy to watch, and most left early. Pitt needs to make serious noise in the ACC if they ever want to draw in recruits, but I just don't see it happening with their location between WVU, PSU, and OSU. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

Unfortunately the days of PSU, Pitt & WVU regularly playing each other is over. Unless there is a major conference realignment or contraction and they end up in the same conference or play in a bowl game, those match-ups will be few and far between.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I'm kind of confused about why there are questions regarding Lamont Wade's playing time.  He played enough as a true freshman to earn All-Big Ten freshman team honors.  He moved to safety and is getting about half the snaps at through 2 games at a new position as a true ophomore.  Heck he recorded 4 tackles on Saturday.  It's not like he is a junior and still buried deep on the depth chart.  Also, it is a personal preference as to what each athlete would prefer.  Look at examples like Matt McGloin and Josh Hull.  Both were local small town football stars that decided to take a chance on themselves and go play "big-time" college football for great coaches.  They both made the NFL.  At the same time, you only get 5 years of eligibility so smaller schools can be a good option for kids too.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

I can tell you Alex is having an amazing experience at PSU and he knew when he decided to chase his boyhood dreams of suiting up for Penn State that he may never see the field but that was a challenge he was willing to except. Sure he could've gone to some nice FCS school or a good D2 program like Shepherd but from what I understand that never really interested him. He's practiced with NFL guys like Saquon, Daesean & Gesicki. Caught passes from McSorely & Stevens. Got his bell rung by Marcus Allen. Flown first class across country to take part in the Fiesta Bowl and all the festivities that come with it. Not to mention a pretty nice ring that came with the W in that game. Believe me nobody would love to see Alex on the field in Blue & White more than this guy and if that happens great. If not he will have a great education, some amazing experiences and I'm sure a lifetime of stories to tell. We here in the Cove are super proud of what he has accomplished thus far and support him 100%.
You play to win the game!!!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I think it humorous when someone starts a topic by saying "I'm going to end the argument", Haha. Good luck with that.
It ain't over until it's over.