United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

Post by CCDevil2012 »

This is one of my biggest and only arguments of separating public and private without a change to transfer rules. It gives a false sense of “fairness”. If separated how long before everyone complains about the public school “powers” such as Clairton, Aliquippa, So. Columbia, LV, JV in recent years, etc? We’d just be back to square one. If they would tighten transfer rules and make kids sit out unless under extreme circumstances I think most would be happy. I do like the new proposal but they basically are allowing all transfers for any reason with it 
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

The problem is, as soon as a kid says they were bullied, PIAA, District 6, or whoever is afraid they will be sued for denying a transfer so they just put them though. 
As a Liggy follower I can tell you that even here, there are some people upset with the transfer. I’m sure there is a lot of outrage throughout the conference and the region Crimson. There is no double standard. It just happens more at the private schools, as has been stated to you numerous times. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

This thread would have 30 more posts if he transferred to Bishop McCort. 

(29 of them would be from El Moldo, but you get the point)
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Ah. The deflection defense. Does that one ever really work?
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

What’s the deflection? People would be more up in arms if he chose McCort, are you going to disagree with that? 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kid transfers to Ligonier from United. Your initial post was

“I'm surprised the Osborne St. counselors didn't "offer their help". “

That basically sums it up.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Ah, yes.  Amateur sports at its' finest.  Do we really want strict transfer rules which will cost children/young adults year(s) of eligibility when they already only have a 4 year window to play varsity athletics?  What if a kid is truly in a bad situation (parent issues, grades, bad friends, bullying, poor coaching, etc)?  We don't want to allow a way for them easily escape that situation and best set themselves up for the rest of their lives by getting the education they need all so they can help their "hometown sports team." Look transfers are becoming more prevalent in every level of every sport.  I think it is a good thing and should be available with the least amount of restrictions as possible.  Allow the KIDS to go where they think will best set them up for the rest of their life.  If parents are crazy and want to sacrifice their child's educational development, friendships, and such just to get them a little more playing time or on a more competitive team, then shame on them but there isn't a logical way to stop it.  Because for every crazy parent that moves his and her kid 5 times across the state so they can win a few more games there a 2 or 3 kids need a new start and opportunity due to life circumstances. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Sorry I'm late to the show. I hadn't checked the board. I don't like it. I find it hard to believe that the best athlete on the team was bullied, but I'm not allowed to say that because who's to know the truth or not. I don't blame the move. It's a smart move in my opinion. I still don't think it's right. Nobody wants to be a duck, everyone wants to be a hawk. Same as moving to a private school, what can we really do about it other than complain. I never want to see a kid held out because of adult decisions.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

The 2018 transfer rule adopted by the PIAA was/is supposed to take care of all transfer situations whether they are public or private.  According to the rule, regardless if both the sending and receiving principals "sign off", the athlete must meet very strict criteria to earn a hardship waiver.  Meaning all transfers are allowed to play but unless you receive a hardship waiver you can not participate in the post-season.  This rule automatically applies to all transfers after their 10th grade season.  

transfer for “academic, developmental, spiritual and/or social reasons” does not meet the hardship waiver standard. Nor does “a change of residence resulting from a family separation, unless court approved.”  

This rule applies to all sports that the athlete participated in while enrolled in their previous school.  The question then becomes what will the district 6 committee do?  

What reasons can a District Committee consider a waiver?
 Change of residence necessitated by Employment / Military reassignment
 School initiated - Administrative transfer / Court ordered transfer
 Demonstrable change of income or resources
 Court approved family separation
 Other considerations on a case by case basis

Last month the committee just approved a transfer from Germany to play volleyball at Carroll.  The fact that the D6 committee said there was no athletic intent in the minutes makes me believe this particular transfer will be approved although according to the rule, athletic intent currently has nothing to do with eligibility.  Perhaps if they would have stated something about a foreign exchange student falls under the case by case review, I'd feel differently.  

If applied correctly this would address the competitive advantage that many privates get from sophomore, junior, or senior transfers.  In this particular case it has no affect on the Heritage Conference from LV's point of view, they were going to walk away with their 4th straight conference title regardless.  Now instead of 7 or 8 mercy rule wins they'll have 9.  (They may have had 9 anyway)  Where this comes into play is the district level where LV must compete with schools their own size.  If a hardship waiver is granted this addition will almost assuredly mean another district title.  Adding an all-state athlete behind 3 lineman with FCS offers will do that. 

As with all of these cases, as adults, it's important to remember that most of us have no idea what the cause really is.  The fact that this young man is being chastised on social media is just plain sad.  Even if he is just trying to get out of a bad situation (not that he is) it certainly isn't our place to judge.  All I'm stating here is the current transfer rule. 

If a hardship waiver is granted in this case it should be granted to every kid transferring in to Guilfoyle, McCort, or Carroll, regardless of the grade the student is entering. 
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:What’s the deflection? People would be more up in arms if he chose McCort, are you going to disagree with that? 
YOU, sir, are the one who brought up "people would be up in arms if he chose McCort".   Thats a deflection from topic.
It ain't over until it's over.