United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

Post by billmurray »

Silk transfer denied by PIAA 5-0 tough break for a great player.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

The rules for transferring are a challenge. Committees have to rule on the transfer had some athletic intent. Open for interpretation, pending scenarios. Each situation and scenario is different and each presents its own challenges. I think it is actually worded as motivated in some material way. Some is the catch word. Committed in different districts may vary in thought with the word “some“. Some of these transfer rulings are clear cut and as plain as day. Some are grey. I would bet that way more often than not it is the super ego parent that pushes for the transfer and not the student. The kid is left without a choice and suffers. A case as such, I would feel bad for, but if there is evidence that it was athletically motivated, the rule is what the rule is. The world of social media has probably created some road blocks as someone blurts something out there and now there is evidence. Did the family purchase a home in the district and cut ties with their former residence? Did all siblings make the move or just a single child in the family? Was there some sort of hardship? Was there issues with or relating to the child at the former school? Bullying? CYS involvement? Abusive parents? Did the student athlete create a bad situation with the coach or someone tied to the school or vice versa? A lot to look at and form judgement upon. At least transfers are being looked at. I think that the PIAA is doing the best that they can with the guidelines they feel that they can work with. Now, add United’s potential situation into the mix. Cancel the season prior to the start of the season once you have tried to start the season. That one is interesting. The school should be able to co-op with a boundary school where the co-op does not cause a jump in classification. If this occurred at my school and my son was without an opportunity, I would hope that he could still have that opportunity. I think United borders Blacklick, Blairsville, Johnstown and who else? Can they afford a one year opportunity so their kiddos have the chance to play the game they love if they wish? There may be an option. I am sure the district will do their due diligence to afford an opportunity, if there is an option and if they did cancel the season. I would bet they could Co-op with McCort as well. I am unsure of United’s classification - if class A, there has to be an option of some sort that would not change the classification once the coOp is formed. Can the United student in question now become eligible if his reasoning was due to fear of not having a team? If United cancels, I hope their kids have an opportunity somewhere.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

United borders Ligonier Valley, Homer Center, Blairsville, Penns Manor, Blacklick Valley and Johnstown.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

I feel bad for the kid. If he trys to transfer to another school, there is no way that the PIAA could make a different ruling. This kids high school football career is over. The hypocrisy of this situation is the fact that numerous kids from Laurel Valley transferred to United after the LV consolidation. They sure didn't go there for quality academics. According to U.S. News, Ligonier Valley is rated the 129th best high school in Pennsylvania. United comes in at 326th. It's funny that United's administration had no problem accepting Laurel Valley transfers, yet the principal wouldn't sign off on Silk. Kyle made a big mistake. If he would have transferred to McCort,  he would be playing football his senior year. No questions asked!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The time to start talking co-op for 2019 has long passed.  United and similar schools should have been able to see this coming years ago.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

It has passed with one year remaining in the current cycle. A school cannot co-op mid cycle if it jumps them a classification. This has to be done prior to the start of the new 2 year cycle (classification jump). If they could find an opportunity with a local school that does not alter the classification of the school to which they join with, would the PIAA make an exception due to extenuating circumstances of the program being cancelled at the time that it was? It has been done once before where it did jump classifications and that led to a penalty of not being permitted to participate in playoffs. I dont know the circumstances in that one.
TallDom85
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TallDom85 »

I feel bad for Silk and it's even a little unfair to Ligonier Valley IMO since so many of these district committee rulings are overturned at the state level. I wonder if the D6 decision had been different if Silk planned to transfer to any other Heritage school but Ligonier Valley.
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ICCFan »

I feel bad for Silk personally as well but he's a product of the timing of things. People are sick of these athletic transfers that have ramped up the past 5-8 years (maybe longer) and you can't just get an apartment and play for who you want to anymore. Loopholes are finally closing and district committees are finally showing some guts.

If Silk had done this 6-7 years ago (I'm thinking same time as the influx of athletes who "moved" into Juniata Valley) he would've been free and clear.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Since the transfer was not done with athletic intent there is no need to feel too sad for anyone.  Kyle Silk is where his parent or parents wants him to be.
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bigtube »

Amen to that knowitall