Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Ligonier Valley

Post by abpk2903 »

Yeah, Bellwood isn't the best example because they are playing in the conference that fits them best BOTH in terms of geography and classification.  Bellwood was almost always an A school in the 4 classification system and now they are almost always a AA school in the 6 classification system.  That is probably why their perception is what it is, a positive one. 
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Bellwood did try another conference. When i was in school they were in the Mac. I talk to Bellwood people they don't want to be in the icc. They want Central Bellefonte and other schools. They'd rather have bigger competition and go farther in the playoffs than go undefeated and be out 1st round cause the team they played was challenged more during the season. Do LVs fans think like that?
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

Manfred wrote:
That is an interesting option.  For example the LHAC could rotate their schedule as they have been, only with a couple more teams being off your schedule every year.  This would allow for the resuming of long-time neighbor rivalries like FH vs Portage, Richland vs Windber, etc.  Good gravy, the Mustang-Ranger rivalries used to have crowds in the THOUSANDS in attendance at these games.  You couldn't move anywhere around the perimeter of the fields, even in the end zones they were 6 or 8 people deep SRO!

The good old days.  The Forest Hills/Portage game.  My mothers family was from Sidman and my dads family was from Portage.  Made the rivalry even better.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

CharlieConway wrote:
knowitall wrote:Most conferences include border school rivalries.  It's not 1975 anymore.  Richland-Windber would draw no more fans than Richland-Chestnut Ridge or Windber-Berlin does today. 
Sorry knowitall, I strongly disagree.  Check crowd for Richland vs Chestnut Ridge, then compare to Chestnut Ridge vs Bedford.  Forest Hills vs Richland against Richland vs Somerset.
I've been to Windber games.  They don't bring much of a crowd anymore.  Like I said, it's not 1975 anymore.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

The other thing I believe is a major point that gets ignored, smaller schools are decreasing in attendance at pretty rapid rates. Maybe its not the poorest idea to consolidate some of these school districts together for longer term survival. Pride is too big sometimes
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

Goldeneagles12 wrote:Bellwood did try another conference. When i was in school they were in the Mac. I talk to Bellwood people they don't want to be in the icc. They want Central Bellefonte and other schools. They'd rather have bigger competition and go farther in the playoffs than go undefeated and be out 1st round cause the team they played was challenged more during the season. Do LVs fans think like that?
You’re right. But Bellwood people should be careful what they wish for. They could be like Penns Valley and get beat up against bigger schools. Then get a lower seed ( if they are lucky) and get bounced anyway. Bottom line , it’s not the league that gets you bounced early in the playoffs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Is that why PV destroyed Fairfield, 77-zip, to 'tune up' their playoff machine?
It ain't over until it's over.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Plus Penns Valley has a good team once or twice a decade maybe. Bellwood is good every year. Now some years are better than others but Bellwood is a strong team year in and out. Look at what happened to Bellwood against Westmont a couple years ago. Bellwood was the better team but Westmont played better competition all year and knocked B-A out.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

If your good enough your good enough. BA does always have good teams, but their record is inflated. Two years ago we beat a 3 win Tyrone team in OT. Last year we lost to a 4 win Tyrone team. If Bellwood was in the Mountain, what makes anyone think they to wouldn’t have 3,4 maybe 5 wins.

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

What a better schedule would do, in my opinion is a few things. Use personal better, work harder in the off season. Maybe a sharper focus during the season. Knowing a bad week could result in a loss instead of an ugly win.