United to cancel season

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

United to cancel season

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Just heard this morning, that United is seriously considering canceling the entire football season due to roster size , anyone have any further details on this
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: United to cancel season

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Maybe they can all play for Ligonier instead
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Did the PIAA implement a rule requiring to have at least 15 healthy and eligible players for each game?  That’s what I heard.  If you don’t have 15 you have no choice.  If you only have 16 or 17, you might as well make the choice too.
paumpire
Freshman
Freshman

Post by paumpire »

I don't know about the 15 player rule. United had 15 dressed for their scrimmage with Township on Saturday. They actually played pretty well and outscored Township 21-6 in a timed half. The only thing not live was the kicking game. No idea how good Township will be and United will obviously need to play four quarters not two.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

I'm not aware of any PIAA rule except that each team must start each game with 11 players. The leagues could possibly have more restrictive rules about roster sizes for competition reasons, but I don't know if they actually do.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

There is no 15 player rule. Not sure where people hear this stuff. And I think United has 17 kids. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

It must be a school’s own rule then.  Personally I think 15 or 17 is inadequate and any school administrator worth half of his six figure salary should have pulled the plug the first day of heat acclimation drills.
Bedrock
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Bedrock »

A night of football is more than a night of football and involves a whole lot more kids than just the ones putting on the helmets.  Canceling football means cancelling marching band and cheerleading.  I am glad I am not the one who has to make this tough decision.  Not a good thing for the United school or community.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Maybe they can co-op with nearby Conemaugh Valley, who also have low #'s. I heard that 6? Crushers are former CV players. Maybe more AD's should decline to sign off.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You’re absolutely right.

That’s why we pay our administrators the big bucks.