All District Team

Hardwood chatter
D6sports101
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

All District Team

Post by D6sports101 »

Top 5 players in D6.

Can give a 1st 2nd and 3rd team if you can dig that far.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: All District Team

Post by theprophet »

1st Team

B.Martinazzi - BC
R.Hinton - Ferndale
N.Davis - Bellwood Antis
S.Reid - Johnstown
N.Gerhart - Huntingdon

2nd Team

J.Heiple - Somerset
D.Barnes - Somerset
C.Mendelson - Westmont
T.Williams - Blairsville
M.Bryja - Portage

3rd Team
S.McClosky - BG
K.Collins - J.Valley
A.Kendall - Bedford
J.Updyke - Johnstown
J.Jones - L Valley

This is my 1st,2nd, and 3rd team all D6. Interested in viewing everyone else's list.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

1st Team
Martinazzi- BC (Obvious choice-best player in this part of the state).
McCloskey- BG (He was 1st team all Altoona Mirror last year ahead of Davis and Gearhart-team is voted on by local coaches/media)
Gearhart- Huntingdon (1000 point scorer as a junior in AAA- says it all to me).
Barnes-Somerset- (saw him twice last year and was very impressed both times).
Updyke- Johnstown (Only saw him once but I thought he was the team's best player in that limited sample).

2nd Team
Davis- BA (Good/great scorer but takes a ton of shots- saw several times over the past 2 years. Big improvement in him from his freshman to sophomore season. He is going to have a big year scoring wise).
Hinton- Ferndale- (Have honestly never seen him play so he may deserve 1st team consideration I just can't put him there. I'm basing this more on the input of others on here).
Collins- JV- Okay I cheated. I picked two players here because I didn't want to leave either of them out. Collins is really quick and his jumper is better than I expected. I believe he is going to have a big year for JV and be a tough matchup in the ICCConsiglio- H'burg (Off the radar pick but 2 year starter and with their move AAA could be poised for a good season. Saw him vs. Altoona and BC last year and he's a good all around player).
Heipel- Somerset (Very impressive in the District final. He and Barnes are a heckuva 1-2 punch).
Reid- J'town- (really a good athlete who is strong around the hoop and a tough matchup because he's quicker than big guys and stronger than smaller players).

3rd Team
Lucas- BC- (Played big in a number of huge games last year. Very underrated due to the shadow of the terrific Martinazzi).
Mendelson- Westmont- (saw him once last year and he's a really good shooter. Should have a good senior campaign).
Bryjla- Portage (I know I probably spelled it wrong. Didn't see him play last year but he's put up some impressive numbers for the Mustangs).
Capitosti- Homer Center (had some really nice games last year, in particular vs. Claysburg in the playoffs, and the experience should allow him to step out from under his talented big brother's shadow).
Tie-Chadbourn- BG (Played in a lot of big games last year and is a terrific athlete and defender. Had some pretty good offensive games last season and will need to provide more scoring for the Marauders if they hope to build on their recent success).
Tie-Consiglio- H'burg-(Okay I cheated. I picked two players here because I didn't want to leave either of them out. Off the radar pick but 2 year starter and with their move AAA could be poised for a good season. Saw him vs. Altoona and BC last year and he's a good all around player).

I go to see as many games as my schedule will allow in the winter and obviously have seen more LHAC games than any other league so I'm admittedly probably a little biased toward the players I've seen in that conference. These teams are just my opinion and I'm sure I left out players who may deserve to be mentioned (Donoughe form FH, Zearing from CC, Kendall from Bedford, and Young from W'burg all come to mind). It's makes for a fun debate four months away from the first meaningful games.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

Hinton is good, but plays in the west pac which is a little weaker than the lhc. He will be a soph. this year. Lhc just has bigger and stronger players, and better teams to play week in and out. Not saying some of the top west pac teams can't beat any lhc teams, just more players to choose from. Shade, shanksville, and con. township along with berlin had some good teams recently in the west pac though. That gerheart kid from huntingdon was tough when they played somerset in the aaa game at the mt. He just played against somerset that had barnes and heiples 1 and 2 punch. That was a great game. Huntingdon has that tall kid back frederick also that is decent. I see a lot of teams play around the area also in the lhc and west pac. My sleeper is J-town this year. I feel Price will have a more disiplined team and has a lot of players to choose from. jmo
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

SFB14 Can't argue with your opinion because it's your opinion but I don't know how you can put Updyke on the first team over S. Reid his teamate. Reid is a 20 and 10 kid and a true difference maker.

WEST33, on the Hinton kid I agree the LHAC is better then the WestPac. I wanted to see if Hinton had played any LHAC teams this past year and he did which was Westmont. If maxpreps is correct he had 26 pts which was the most points Westmont gave up to any individual player all year. WestPac or LHAC they eye test doesn't lie he can play. Still think Martinizzi is better though.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

Westmont wasn't that good all season in the lhc. Put him against a top team and he will get shut down. And who else does ferndale have? He shoots a lot. Saw some summer games. He fired them up and didn't play defense. Not knocking the young kid, but clearly not as good as top kids in the lhc. U didn't even have barnes and heiple up the top and they hit 36 and 32 in a championship game on a nuetral court against a nice huntingdon team. And I saw updyke play and he was more consistent each game than reid. Sure reid has more talent and upside, but updyke brought his lunch pale each and every game. Disagree with some of your picks and hinton doesn't even compare to martinazzi. U watching him vs west pac teams is no comparison to the top lhc teams. They r bigger, stronger, and way more to choose from. Jmo Not saying I am right. Jmo from watching all these kids play plenty of games over the years. And by no means am I knocking any player. Just stating I feel others may be better and my opinion of watching their game.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

And one more thing I will add is points aren't everything to judging a basketball player. Assist, ball handling, rebounding, defense,quickness, strength, foul shooting, 3 pt shooting, driving strong to the hoop, being a leader and most important, being a total TEAM player.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

Not here to argue you have an opinion and you’re entitled to it. Only seen Hinton play once against WestPac team but seen him at an AAU tournament in Pittsburgh and Slippery Rock this summer. Easily the top 2-3 players on the court both times I seen him. That’s not WestPac or LHAC and I don’t have a dog in that fight just making a non-biased opinion. Also consider that Hinton probably gets a box and 1 every game out because Ferndale doesn’t have much, if he had help like a Marcus Lee, or a Dylan Barnes he probably would have more of an impact on the game.
It’s great that Barnes and Hieple went off in a championship game they are both very good in my opinion. I can only match like opponents in a situation where we are comparing players. Westmont was down this past year but what did Barnes and Hieple have against them? What did Hinton have against them? If Westmont is down they are down against everyone not just Ferndale. Just comparing Like opponents.
Updyke is a good player I don’t have a problem with him but I watch a lot of basketball and I know a lot of basketball coaches just as I’m sure you do, but S.Reid is by far the better, more productive, stronger, and more dominating player compared to Updyke. That’s no knock on Updyke but praise for Reid. I find it hard to believe if I’m going into a game against Johnstown that my defensive game plan would be stopping Updyke. He is just not that type of player.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

Also just an FYI, if Maxpreps is correct. Shot attempts looks like this:

Barnes 361
Heiple 325
Martinazzi 403
Hinton 238

Barnes PPG 16.1 RPG 5.8
Heiple PPG 16.7 RPG 3.1
Martinazzi PPG 20.5 RPG 3.8
Hinton PPG 23.5 RPG 9.3

Now Barnes, Heiple, and Martinazzi Played in atlest 5 more games than Hinton but they all took more shots averages less points and less rebounds.

The eye test told me Hinton was just as good or better than the top guards but now that I'm looking into the number I will stick with my picks for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams.

When making statements it's easier to deal in facts and stats then opinions.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Stats and facts only hold true for people in the same league playing the same competition. Obviously when you are comparing player A from this league and Player B from this league, opinions do matter.

Martinazzi is better than Hinton, but obviously Hinton is a real nice player.