Boys Basketball Scores 1/12-1/17

Hardwood chatter
wilson12
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Boys Basketball Scores 1/12-1/17

Post by wilson12 »

Crimson's Ghost
What happen to the Cook boy in basketball, I see he isn't playing basketball anymore, what happen and could he help McCort basketball team?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think he wrestles, and he wouldn't really help much in basketball. McCort's strength is really with their two post players Helsel and Conahan anyway, Cook would be a JV player, at least that was my opinion when I saw him play Junior High last season.
D6sports101
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by D6sports101 »

SFB14 wrote:BG just seems to have a strange team. I'm not sure how much the football title has affected things or not but it seems they can't start the same five players from game to game. I know they had their two big kids out for the first 4-5 games due to injury and now Kitt has been out for several weeks with some kind of leg injury. I was at the game on Friday at CC and Chadbourn was on his official visit to Villanova and wasn't there. It just seems like they can't get any consistency. Add that to the fact thay they are playing 4 sophomores as either starters or the first subs off the bench and it has just been a weird year for the Marauders. I think eventually the sophomore class has a chance to be outstanding but right now they seem to make way to many mistakes (bad shots, turnovers, etc..) that young players make, especially given the schedule they are playing night in and night out. I'm not sure if they can improve enough in time to make any noise in the playoffs (with the schedule of games there isn't much practice time) but right now they are a team it seems in transition. I wouldn't completely count them out but time is certainly ticking away quickly for them to begin playing better before the playoffs.
Only have seen this team once but do not think they are as talented as previous BG teams.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

I would agree regarding Murphy at BM. Now I don't see them all the time but have watched them twice this year and saw them a couple times last year and they seem to play hard for him. It appeared to me that the Crushers suffer from an ailment that affects a lot of local teams, the inability to put the ball in the basket. I've watched BG struggle with that this year big time and it has nothing to do with the shots they are getting. In the first quarter against BC they had to miss 6-8 open shots and couldn't score. When that happens it has more to do with the off-season work being put in by the kids then the abilities of the coach. All you can do as a coach is help them get the open shots, if they can't make them then you are going to be in trouble. IMHO the offensive abilities of teams locally overall, is way down.

There are still some talented offensive players, (Barnes, Heiple, Davis, Martinazzi,Gearhart, come to mind to name a few) but it seems that the number isn't near what it used to be. Perhaps the work isn't being done in the off-season or there are other factors involved but this is a trend I've really become aware of this year. I hope it just a cycle and we can get back to the idea of several area teams having more scorers.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

I don't want to call anyone a BAD or GOOD coach but I do believe you win games in the off season. For example Cosie does a great job in the off season of keeping a ball in his players hands and developing them as much as he can. He also implemented a style of play that will allow them to still produce points without having a lot of offensive ability. To me that's the sign of a good coach. Outside of Brandon I must say there is just not a lot of pure talent on this BC team, but Cosie has his system in place and it works.

As a coach you can't just expect talent to walk through your doors you have to work and develop it if you want to be a good program every year. Not sure how many programs work at it as much as they need to in the off season.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Manfred wrote:
lhacbigfan wrote:BC 71
FH 58
Looks like the Rangers gave BC all they could handle, on this one night.
Outcome was decided in the 1st Q. FH's Big 3 (shoot the most on the team) were 0/7 from the Floor as BC jumped out 16-0. 1st ended 16-4 w/ buckets from other players. In 2nd Q, the Big 3 were 6/7 from the floor and held serve, but the horse was already out the barn. Over Q's 2 thru 4 BC only outscored FH by 1 pt. Fortunately, for FH, BC's best player was off. Gotta put 4 good Q's together to beat a team like BC, not just 3. Wed matchup w/ Somerset will be the same. Can't have shooting lapses or excessive TO's against good teams.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Re: CC Red Devils: I've noticed the absence in the CC box scores of Will the Thrill. Injury?
It ain't over until it's over.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Bump. Does anyone know?
It ain't over until it's over.
basketballguy
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by basketballguy »

theprophet wrote:I don't want to call anyone a BAD or GOOD coach but I do believe you win games in the off season. For example Cosie does a great job in the off season of keeping a ball in his players hands and developing them as much as he can. He also implemented a style of play that will allow them to still produce points without having a lot of offensive ability. To me that's the sign of a good coach. Outside of Brandon I must say there is just not a lot of pure talent on this BC team, but Cosie has his system in place and it works.

As a coach you can't just expect talent to walk through your doors you have to work and develop it if you want to be a good program every year. Not sure how many programs work at it as much as they need to in the off season.
I would agree about working in the off season. However I watched some games this summer at Richland and these schools have trouble getting kids over the summer. They are involved in football, baseball, and vacations. The schools that are successful are the ones without a majority of their players being pulled in different directions. How many BC players were on the football field? How many missed summer workouts for legion baseball? I agree a coach has the develop but BC doesn't have a GREAT coach. They have kids who are dedicated to the sport. Give that to any coach who is decent and they will be successful
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

basketballguy wrote:
theprophet wrote:I don't want to call anyone a BAD or GOOD coach but I do believe you win games in the off season. For example Cosie does a great job in the off season of keeping a ball in his players hands and developing them as much as he can. He also implemented a style of play that will allow them to still produce points without having a lot of offensive ability. To me that's the sign of a good coach. Outside of Brandon I must say there is just not a lot of pure talent on this BC team, but Cosie has his system in place and it works.

I would agree about working in the off season. However I watched some games this summer at Richland and these schools have trouble getting kids over the summer. They are involved in football, baseball, and vacations. The schools that are successful are the ones without a majority of their players being pulled in different directions. How many BC players were on the football field? How many missed summer workouts for legion baseball? I agree a coach has the develop but BC doesn't have a GREAT coach. They have kids who are dedicated to the sport. Give that to any coach who is decent and they will be successful
This is my problem with your statement. Every team has players who play multiple sports; the difference is what coach can demand enough respect to get his players to participate in all of them. For example. Football team work outs are usually in the morning and let me remind you we are talking about June and July when most summer leagues and off season basketball programs do their most work. Some programs start as early as April but we will keep the conflict with football at the core of this post.
A player has a choice to make, go to football work outs and not go to basketball later in the day.
Go to basketball work out and miss football in the morning, or go to both.
It's the coach that can one offer an opportunity to get better with open gym and summer leagues and second get the players to take part in those activities.
From my source the current coach does not put enough time in during the off season. Sitting back and waiting for an athletic class to come through just to be good will be un-expectable at the McCort I once knew.
The reason I call Cosie a great coach because he has built his own program. I really feel coaches take positions just because they think there is a good group of kids they can coach, or just want to coach family members for a short period of time and then move on. Nobody builds anymore and I don’t think BM has a coach that is interested in building. JMO