End of an Era

Hardwood chatter
RichardSherman
Freshman
Freshman

Re: End of an Era

Post by RichardSherman »

Yo I can member goin to da Terror Dome back in da day and lighting dat place up for 30+ points and at least 10 dimes. Coach B is a true legend in high school athletics. He will be missed, and ya Crabtree is a sorry receiver.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

You would have been better served if Coach taught English.
It ain't over until it's over.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

Interesting rumor (and as we all know rumors are just that-see Cosie leaving BC every year for the past 5 or so) around BG is that Coach Drenning might be or has already applied for the TM job. I know some people speculated he could possibly apply for the Hollidaysburg job when it was open last year but I never heard from anyone at BG that it was being considered. He is a TM grad who played for Coach Bailey so I guess I could see the reason he may be interested in going back home to coach. I'm not saying this as fact because I have no idea if it's true or not, but it is certainly being talked around BG.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

Chris is a great guy and would be a great asset to the TM program. Did anybody tell though he won't be able to recruit in Saxton like they do at BG or Juniata Valley. He would be coaching in District V not VI, where the directors don't turn a blind eye to the "academic" movement that takes place in Huntingdon, Blair, or any of the other counties in that district.
BlueDevil12
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BlueDevil12 »

After a horrible season I bet he gets a nice recruiting class to build the program back up. It's not that hard to win when you hand pick your kids. Although, after last season it looks to be fairly difficult for him. Maybe he missed out on the five star guys that year.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

Yes because BG recruited all the players that they had last year, hand picked them as a matter of fact (funny how they didn't hand pick any kids who could make at least first team all Mirror, pretty terrible "hand picking" if you ask me). Same point I made during football season, every kid on the team is a product of the BG system who never played, or even set foot in another school. I'm pretty sure this year's team will be made up the same way (although that won't be the case in football and never has been in girls basketball).

It's an easier narrative your way though so I'd stick with that. I mean you don't really need any facts to make an argument when you have talking points that conveniently contradict reality. I've always been, I believe, pretty fair when pointing out the inequality that exists when a kid transfers in to any private school (whether it be BG, BC, or BM). However, I don't paint all the teams at any of those schools with a broad brush (look at BC's boys whose recent success came from teams made up of players all from their system). If and when BG "hand picks" (which is so laughable it's ridiculous) their players for the boys basketball team, I'll be the first person on here criticizing that as well, just like I've done the girls in the past. In the meantime, I'll just deal with reality and hope BG has a better season (with their own kids) next year.
BlueDevil12
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BlueDevil12 »

It's pretty safe to say they will being a private school. Nothing personal but am willing to say their team will be very strong
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

I don't know about strong. It'll be very interesting because they played 4 sophomores much of the time last year. Do they have any depth behind them and are those 4 ready to step up in to bigger roles? All the players are on the football team as well so they may be behind the 8 ball again because they'll probably get them late which limits the amount of pre-season practice. I thought that really hurt them last year. Lastly, their schedule is going to be difficult once again because many of the LHAC teams (Somerset, BM, & J-town come to mind) played a lot of underclassmen last year.

Btw, I take from your screen name you are a fan of Bellwood. The Blue Devils are loaded for next year (all 5 starters return) and from what I can recall of the other AA teams in the area should be the favorite in class AA. They made the state playoffs last year and I would expect them to this year as well and possibly win a game or two. Especially with a player as good as Davis.
BlueDevil12
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BlueDevil12 »

Yes Bellwood should be loaded with the starters coming back. Davis is one of the best players and scorers that I have ever seen. Bellwood lost to BG last year though and I was impressed with the sophomore class from Guilfoyle but Bellwood will get the revenge this year IMO
OldSchoolTitan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by OldSchoolTitan »

I love hearing everybody's opinion and speculation on possibilities of the opening at Tussey but I think some of it might be slightly off topic. I personally would love to see Coach Meck or Coach Drenning (or Coach Phipps) take over. Not just because all three have played under Bailey, but because they have proven that they are true teachers of the game under very different circumstances with their own obstacles. I believe Coach Meck to be the best fit given that he has proven himself through 2 different programs at such a young age. I do, however, find it unlikely that he leaves Ridge.