six classifications

Hardwood chatter
districtsixhoops
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

six classifications

Post by districtsixhoops »

PIAA votes to move basketball to six classifications. I’m surprised nobody is discussing the impact this will have next season. Will change the landscape for sure. I think it is a step in the right direction. The classification I feel the most happy for is single A. My hope is that this will give some small public schools a little better chance and force some of the private schools that are on the higher end of the class A enrollment ladder up a classification. It doesn’t fix the problem but it’s all we are going to get from PIAA.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Re: six classifications

Post by SFB14 »

Based on the preliminary numbers, the only private school in District 6 that would move up a class would be Bishop McCort. With the declining enrollment numbers at BG (and if you are believe what is being said) BC as well. I would think both schools would remain in A for the upcoming cycle.
districtsixhoops
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Unless BG's enrollment had declined significantly I find it hard to believe that they will stay at A. Last cycle's numbers had them and West Branch as largest enrollment numbers in Class A. Got to believe that any school at the high end of their class will be bumped up with six classes. Bishop McCort was in the middle of AA and their numbers would have to jump a good bit. Guess we will find out soon.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

You may be right. I was basing my guess by looking at the preliminary projections for football and I saw they all had BG in single A. I would think it would be similar for basketball but maybe not. I honestly don't know if, or how much, the numbers are calculated differently between football and other sports. A couple years ago Hollidaysburg was AAA in girls basketball and AAAA in boys (or maybe vice versa, I can't recall for sure) and you could possibly end up with a scenario like that as well. I know from having a son at the school that the last 2 classes (currently freshmen & sophomores) are not as big as they've had in the past. I'm not sure in some ways if you might not be better off in AA with the new cutoffs. It'll be fascinating to see how it all plays out.
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

And you are right about Bishop McCort being in the middle of AA in basketball. That was a mistake on my part, I was thinking of them as A in football and now see that they are projected to AA (same thing with Bellwood).
Icoach
Junior
Junior

Post by Icoach »

I feel that the new classification system will help level the playing field a little, however if they are going to make the move to 6 classifications, why not make a classification for all the privates/catholic schools. Vincentian and NG in Phili would most likely beat teams at any level. As far a BG, after being in 10 district 6 championships that might be nice for other schools to have an opportunity....Will anyone in the single A touch them this year....Portage? BC? anyone in the heritage conference?
districtsixhoops
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Icoach wrote:I feel that the new classification system will help level the playing field a little, however if they are going to make the move to 6 classifications, why not make a classification for all the privates/catholic schools. Vincentian and NG in Phili would most likely beat teams at any level. As far a BG, after being in 10 district 6 championships that might be nice for other schools to have an opportunity....Will anyone in the single A touch them this year....Portage? BC? anyone in the heritage conference?

Totally agree with you but that will never happen. Just like last year, nobody should touch BG. BG has that talent to run the table and get to the western final but they did last year to. Portage and Blairsville will push them. Maybe BC also. Blairsville lost a bunch of talented girls but is very well coached. Portage and BC are also well coached and return much of their talent from last year.
Portage Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Portage Alum »

BG and Blairsville have two of the biggest enrollments in Single A girls basketball in the State. They will not be in the smallest classification anymore come next cycle. With 6 classifications, the landscape of D6 girls basketball will change significantly. Some things to ponder:
* what will the cutoffs be per class?
* will the PIAA run a 32 team tournament per classification? If so, it will be interesting to see how many bids for the State tourney each class in D6 will receive - obviously this depends on number of schools.
* schools will take a longer look at moving up in classification for a cycle because there are more options now.

Finally, talking this coming season, BG is loaded again. Portage and BC have nearly everyone back. JV, Homer, and Blairsville will contend. D6 Single A.....as we know it now.....should go out with a bang. Definitely the deepest class in D6 by far.
districtsixhoops
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Forgot about JV. They will be good to and have many of the same issues as BG.
Icoach
Junior
Junior

Post by Icoach »

districtsixhoops wrote:
Icoach wrote:I feel that the new classification system will help level the playing field a little, however if they are going to make the move to 6 classifications, why not make a classification for all the privates/catholic schools. Vincentian and NG in Phili would most likely beat teams at any level. As far a BG, after being in 10 district 6 championships that might be nice for other schools to have an opportunity....Will anyone in the single A touch them this year....Portage? BC? anyone in the heritage conference?

Totally agree with you but that will never happen. Just like last year, nobody should touch BG. BG has that talent to run the table and get to the western final but they did last year to. Portage and Blairsville will push them. Maybe BC also. Blairsville lost a bunch of talented girls but is very well coached. Portage and BC are also well coached and return much of their talent from last year.

Last year, BG got beat several times and Blairsville handled them in the D6 game by shutting down BG's gun. I think BC beat them in regular season last year. I haven't heard much of anything about BC over the summer other than a player quitting. Portage might contend, but they are super small and their one big is not a match for BG's big...... plus BG has a ton of height across when compared to other teams. Portage would not be able to play zone and personally I don't see good match ups in Portage's favor. Blairsville lost EVERYONE, so not sure what they have, but contending after losing everyone is a long shot. JV is young but may give them a game if they meet up. I hope some of these little schools can give BG a game, but looks like another year of the same. Is BG's one guard still injured? That might put a spin on some of the games.