PIAA Girls Basketball State Semifinals

Hardwood chatter
Hoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Re: PIAA Girls Basketball State Semifinals

Post by Hoopfan »

Since state funding is tied to test scores, isn't a student who leaves for a better academic opportunity actually cheating his hometown school out of money? According to Dad's theory, that would be extremely unethical behavior. And since no one values sports over academics, isn't that in reality way worse?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Hoopfan wrote:Is there a big market for "rocket surgeons" Hank?
Someday, there might be.
Because Ricky is a genius (not Guiness, Manfred) and is allowed to move to a different school to better his education, and better society then Bobby (6' 9") should be able to join his other giant friends at a school to begin global domination of the lesser Average Joe's Gym. 
Who needs public school when you can play for MCS Roster where everyone is naturally taller? 
I'm not blaming anyone for making the decision to do this, I just don't agree that they should compete with regular schools.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I understand why I have a problem with the non-publics playing the publics. What I don't understand is how others can argue so hard for it instead of saying "Yes, we're up for the challenge in playing only non-public in playoffs!" ...like public schools are being told.
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

12HankQB wrote:I understand why I have a problem with the non-publics playing the publics. What I don't understand is how others can argue so hard for it instead of saying "Yes, we're up for the challenge in playing only non-public in playoffs!" ...like public schools are being told.
I don't know if I've seen anyone argue for it, but rather argue that changing it doesn't necessarily solve any problem at all.  If recruiting is a major concern then the PIAA already has rules against that, they just need to actually enforce them.  If youre arguing that private schools just win all the championships your are wrong.  Charter schools have taken over high school hoops and they are funded by tax payer dollars and subject to district zoning no different than any public school.  I don't necessarily disagree with trying to find some way to adjust the classifications as long as it's being fair to the kids and it applies to all schools public, private, and charter.  At the end of the day high school sports are about the kids and not everyone watching, coaching, or parenting.  I'm not a fan of punishing kids just because someone's mommy is upset her kid can't play at BC or something. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

CMM52 wrote:
12HankQB wrote:I understand why I have a problem with the non-publics playing the publics. What I don't understand is how others can argue so hard for it instead of saying "Yes, we're up for the challenge in playing only non-public in playoffs!" ...like public schools are being told.
I don't know if I've seen anyone argue for it, but rather argue that changing it doesn't necessarily solve any problem at all.  If recruiting is a major concern then the PIAA already has rules against that, they just need to actually enforce them.  If youre arguing that private schools just win all the championships your are wrong.  Charter schools have taken over high school hoops and they are funded by tax payer dollars and subject to district zoning no different than any public school.  I don't necessarily disagree with trying to find some way to adjust the classifications as long as it's being fair to the kids and it applies to all schools public, private, and charter.  At the end of the day high school sports are about the kids and not everyone watching, coaching, or parenting.  I'm not a fan of punishing kids just because someone's mommy is upset her kid can't play at BC or something. 
So let me get this straight...Charter Schools have taken over, but they're no different than public schools? We can then infer that kids who have a charter school education are more athletically gifted in basketball.
And the kids on these elite teams are better off playing lesser teams than better competition, because I want to see better ball games. Not because it's easier for them to win.
Yes, mommy issues. What about the extremely talented kids who can't afford to go to the school of gifted athletes? Once again, I don't want everyone to have a trophy. I want everyone to have the same chances to earn a trophy. 
rreihart
Junior
Junior

Post by rreihart »

Bishop Carroll 21
Juniata Valley 28
Halftime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Bishop Canevin 20
West Shamokin 16
halftime
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

More to think about in this public private debate.  take a look at the huge crows size the JV girls have at Altoona.  Public schools, when they do manage success, even at the expense of private school competition, pull a whole community and district together.   This does not happen with the private schools as much.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

In some cases yes, in other cases no. Clairton brings very limited fans to their state playoff games in football, and then you look at last night the McCort side of the Altoona Fieldhouse was packed. So it's always subjective.
Penn1971
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Penn1971 »

I call that JV crowd analogous to Hoosiers, where local communities join and support their one team. With the private schools, that community is smaller and smaller today and it is more diverse. They used to have large crowds, but when you have only 200 students, there is not much of a community, even with alums coming to their aid.