Basketball 1-8 thru 1-13

Hardwood chatter
TarheelFan
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Basketball 1-8 thru 1-13

Post by TarheelFan »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I'd say the losing team has to call off the dogs first in blowouts.  In the boys game last night between Richland/McCort, both starters played until the final whistle, and it was pretty much over 2 minutes into the third quarter.

I'm sure if McCort pulled the starters and conceded, Richland would have obliged. But otherwise, that's just how it goes.
I coached varsity basketball for 10 seasons, both boys and girls varsity. I have to respectfully disagree with your statement Crimson. I've been on both sides of a blowout many times. When we were on the positive side of a blowout I always wanted my bench to get an opportunity to play some varsity minutes, usually the last 2-3 minutes depending on the score. There is no need to get your starters hurt in the final minutes of a blowout.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

TarheelFan wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:I'd say the losing team has to call off the dogs first in blowouts.  In the boys game last night between Richland/McCort, both starters played until the final whistle, and it was pretty much over 2 minutes into the third quarter.

I'm sure if McCort pulled the starters and conceded, Richland would have obliged. But otherwise, that's just how it goes.
I coached varsity basketball for 10 seasons, both boys and girls varsity. I have to respectfully disagree with your statement Crimson. I've been on both sides of a blowout many times. When we were on the positive side of a blowout I always wanted my bench to get an opportunity to play some varsity minutes, usually the last 2-3 minutes depending on the score. There is no need to get your starters hurt in the final minutes of a blowout.
Is it really varsity minutes if both teams JV is in?  Me personally as long as you are not pressing or trying to run quick hitting sets who really cares who is in the final horn rings.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I forgot to post the Berlin/Turkeyfoot score. 84-31 Berlin. I don't think this was a true sign of how Turkeyfoot is. I was told they played terrible in all aspects plus had the flu. This is a good start though. Curious to see them against Shanksville and Shade
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
TarheelFan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TarheelFan »

theprophet wrote:
TarheelFan wrote:

Is it really varsity minutes if both teams JV is in?  Me personally as long as you are not pressing or trying to run quick hitting sets who really cares who is in the final horn rings.
For me, it's all about sportsmanship. If you're up 30 or have the running clock going and it's under 4 minutes to play, you should empty your bench. If the losing team doesn't empty theirs, then your jv's are getting good varsity minutes.