Altoona Student Section

Hardwood chatter
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Altoona Student Section

Post by knowitall »

everett wrote:
Colonel Mustard wrote:A kid in the Forest Hills student section was wearing a confederate flag at a football game against a team with at least five black players this season. Yes kids do stupid things, but what about all of the FH adults that were nearby, including the superintendent. Is no one willing to be the adult anymore? Surely there were plenty of Altoona adults around. I would have drug my kid out of there by the hair if they did something like this.
He was wearing an actual flag, or a shirt with a flag on it?  Regardless, a Confederate Flag doesn't automatically deem you a racist.  So by the other team having a handful of black players, you are going to infer that he was directing racist tones by wearing this shirt or flag???? Kind of a little leap don't you think? 
Not at all.  Windber used to pull this crap to when an opponent with a black player came to town.  Their weasel principal justified it by claiming they were learning about the civil rights movement.
everett
Junior
Junior

Post by everett »

knowitall wrote:
everett wrote:
Colonel Mustard wrote:A kid in the Forest Hills student section was wearing a confederate flag at a football game against a team with at least five black players this season. Yes kids do stupid things, but what about all of the FH adults that were nearby, including the superintendent. Is no one willing to be the adult anymore? Surely there were plenty of Altoona adults around. I would have drug my kid out of there by the hair if they did something like this.
He was wearing an actual flag, or a shirt with a flag on it?  Regardless, a Confederate Flag doesn't automatically deem you a racist.  So by the other team having a handful of black players, you are going to infer that he was directing racist tones by wearing this shirt or flag???? Kind of a little leap don't you think? 
Not at all.  Windber used to pull this crap to when an opponent with a black player came to town.  Their weasel principal justified it by claiming they were learning about the civil rights movement.
Ever sit in the stands when Westinghouse played Bedford a couple years ago?  I was there on their sideline, and heard new racial terms I didn't even know existed.  That was blatent racism, but yet no one metioned it, spoke of it, nor requested their AD to do anything about it.  By infering that a kid wearing a confederate flag shirt is even close to kids making fun of a deceased mother is completely stretching the intent of this topic. 
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

everett wrote:
It was a full-size flag, as if that matters. Unless you live under a rock, or apparently somewhere in Everett, it is pretty obvious what statement he was making.  And again, the adults did nothing.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I actually left and refused to join the student section at the WA school I graduated from... One rival basketball team had a player with a large mole on his face and all the student section would do when he had the ball was shout 'MOLE!!!" No one stopped it
IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by IHeartFootball2 »

Students & student sections are ruthless at almost every school. They find something to make fun of for players of opposing schools; moles, weight, looks, etc. but to make fun of a kid that lost his mother should never even cross a kids mind, never!!! I do not know how you could feel good about yourself after saying something like that. It’s a disgrace and hopefully those kids get dealt with.
Ballislyfe
Junior
Junior

Post by Ballislyfe »

It’s a shame what happened in Altoona. Students sections are to support and cheer for your team. Positively. Not meant as a tool to disrespect your opponent, bring up personal tragedy to make a player feel like crap, and get them remembering said tragedy. I’ve been to games where fans taunted a player who had a child as a teen, chanting daddy daddy. Like the kid doesn’t Have it tough being a teen parent as it is, but rude inconsiderate children have to rub it in. It’s not a school issue, sounds like it’s an issue w how the kid is being raised and taught. But someone should b making sure good sportsmanship is used by students. Not letting it go on. Ad, security guards or nearby adults. But with today’s kids and society I’m not shocked this has happened. These are kids we are talking about for crying out loud