Does highschool need a shot clock?

Hardwood chatter

Does highschool basketball need a shot clock?

Poll ended at March 12th, 2018, 12:15 pm

yes
56%
no
40%
stalling warning
4%

Total votes: 25

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Does highschool need a shot clock?

Post by konjo78 »

Sykotyk wrote:Cost of adding a shot clock to a gym and then running it, fairly, is a potential issue. Especially at the 2A/1A level.

Just let the ref warn a team that they're stalling (i.e., not passing or moving the ball around unimpeded), and within 5 seconds or so someone else isn't passed the ball or taken a shot, you lose it.
Not sure if this is really the case. Almost every scoreboard has a shotclock feature in it already.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Shotclocks typically sit above the basket, it would likely be a small issue in some cases.
PerryChicker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PerryChicker »

konjo78 wrote:My challenge to some of you guys watching games this weekend, just use a stop watch to track average time per possession.

Interested to see what it looks like
Excellent idea.
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

No. The games are fast enough they're only 8 minute quarters.  Move the 3 pt. shot to college distance. 
Baller21
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Baller21 »

If a team plays good man to man D how can a team hold the ball for an extended period of time? Opposite view if you are much slower team sitting in 2-3 zone that gives you advantage why can’t a faster team stall and make the defense step out and work harder?

Fewest possession possible with a shot clock of :40 is 48. Is there really games that have less possession then that without a shot clock? If so what percentage?

There is 50 other things high school basketball in PA that needs fixed before shot clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PerryChicker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PerryChicker »

There is also a difference between actually freezing the ball and methodically working the ball until a player spots a breakdown in the defense to exploit.  To handle the ball that long is risky. Its a high risk offense seeking a high percentage shot whereas an up tempo style is low risk often times settling for a lower percentage shot. Some find it more difficult to watch because they're naturally watching the ball. If the focus is on spotting the defense falter, it can be more interesting. 
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

knowitall wrote:I’m going to say no.  Most teams aren’t disciplined enough to hold the ball for long periods of time.  
thats a little vague!!
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by IHeartFootball2 »

I’m sure Penns Valley coach would vote no to the shot clock. Lol
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

Sykotyk wrote:Cost of adding a shot clock to a gym and then running it, fairly, is a potential issue. Especially at the 2A/1A level.

Just let the ref warn a team that they're stalling (i.e., not passing or moving the ball around unimpeded), and within 5 seconds or so someone else isn't passed the ball or taken a shot, you lose it.
There is already a 5 second call as long as they are being guarded. Any other 5 second call is just more on the refs plate.  Some of them have hard enough time just controlling a regular game.  Might be too much on their plate. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Wrasslerfan wrote:
knowitall wrote:I’m going to say no.  Most teams aren’t disciplined enough to hold the ball for long periods of time.  
thats a little vague!!
Someone will get an itchy trigger finger and chuck up a three or turn the ball over or a foul will be committed.  I don’t think a shot clock is necessary at this level.