Recruiting - JV.

Hardwood chatter
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Recruiting - JV.

Post by knowitall »

yep.  Pay all that money to join an AAU team, move to another school district to play with your friends and then pay $50,000 per year or so to play for some DIII school in front of dozens.  You've been had.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

CCDevil2012 wrote:Well, you're not supposed to buy new cars, or rent over buy, or eat out instead of stay in. But guess what, people do it anyways. If parents want to "blow" $300 to watch their kids play a sport they enjoy more then by all means they're entitled to do that. I'm sure you spend money on things other people would find wasteful, doesn't make it right or wrong
I agree with you 100% on that one.  If they want to spend the loot to enjoy it, by all means.  Great point.
I have a problem with the parent screaming down at our coach, because their child starts on the AAU team.  Ever see it?
I have a problem with AAU is where some parents are their, meet as a group, decide to all move to one town, to try and find success.  Ever see it?
Thanks!
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

CharlieConway wrote:Some of the players from an AAU team conveniently "moved" to Juniata Valley at the same time.  Some players were from Northern Bedford and some were from Chestnut Ridge.

I assumed this was common knowledge given many of the posts on this website regarding this.  I find it hard to believe that you have been a member since 2013 and never once read anything regarding JV girls, Northern Bedford and Chestnut Ridge.  Hopefully, that clears up any contexts issues.
Well, I guess maybe you shouldn't assume......I did try to search through and find posts about the whole JV-NBC-CR girls basketball conspiracy theory and found some posts, but not "many". Girls basketball is not particularly a hot topic on this site (or at least one that I regularly read posts about)and Chestnut Ridge girls basketball is not exactly the number one sport at the school. They haven't had any dynamic girls basketball teams in a very long time. I do generally keep track of CR sports and I don't recall any rumors/insinuations from any parents that girls were leaving CR to go play basketball at JV and I haven't heard of any girls that were considered to be that great of a player that they were being "recruited" by another school and were leaving CR.  
As far as the summer camp is concerned, I won't fault any athlete who attends a summer sports camp and tries to better themselves...if they are not putting in that hard work in the off season, then they aren't ever going to get to that next level. Many local schools hold camps or clinics in a wide variety of sports, wrestling in particular is a sport where you can generally find a lot of local camps and clinics. Do I think those camps are secret "recruiting" camps...no...most of the time the local camps are more convenient to travel to, normally cost less and are a way to help improve the local competition and if a parent wants to spend their money on sending their kid to a camp or pays for them to play in an AAU league or something else, then that’s up to them, despite the fact that YOU might not think their kid is good enough to be playing in an AAU league.
As I initially read your post, I was interested in what it said because saying that recruiting doesn't happen would be a lie....It happens, but around here it is not on the same scale that it is in other parts of the sate. What I got from the post though, was someone who had sour grapes against JV girls basketball and immediately tried to accuse a school of recruiting because they offered up a summer camp opportunity (one that anyone could attend). Do I know enough about girls basketball  or even JV girls basketball to know if they actually recruit, I do not, but if I was presented with factual evidence and not just a sour grapes Bleacher Coaches post, maybe I'd feel differently. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

There’s pros and cons to AAU, but if you are really good at basketball it’s pretty much necessary because there’s where college coaches go to watch players.  

If you aren’t really good at basketball, but your parents have money, like to travel, and the kid likes to play - no real downside to it either. 

I’m sure some people get scammed into it, but the entire idea of AAU isn’t really a scam, it just is for certain people. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Exactly how many girls allegedly moved into the JV district from other districts?

The problem, of course, with basketball is colleges only need so many players.  If you have major D1 talent you will get recognized no matter where you play.  If you have D2 or D3 talent you need to be proactive and start contacting schools that interest you.  Don't expect them to find you.  Also understand that you are probably going to pay some or most of your way to D2 and all of your way to D3.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

knowitall wrote: If you have major D1 talent you will get recognized no matter where you play.
That's very true.  If you are a D1 prospect in basketball, coaches know you more through AAU than HS for the most part. 
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

The answer to your question knowitall is this: Of the starting five for this year was this: 1 girl from NBC, 1 girl from CR, i think 1 from Altoona (not sure of this) and 2 local studs from the Valley area by birth. Not a bad local All-Star team.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
knowitall wrote: If you have major D1 talent you will get recognized no matter where you play.
That's very true.  If you are a D1 prospect in basketball, coaches know you more through AAU than HS for the most part. 
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_MensBasketballRecruitingCalendar_20170619.pdf
Of course the head of a D1 program wants to hear from your AAU coach.  Because of the frequently they interact with the athlete, understanding of their academic standing, and how they practice.  I guess the AAU would have all of that information.  I stand corrected.  I would also stand corrected on the ability to be found/discovered by AAU, considering when the NCAA allows programs to recruit and talk with an athlete.  
Insert sarcasm.  
Quiet Periods and Evaluation Periods.  Kinda tough with (G) & (H).  NCAA II has periods as well.  NCAA DIII has fewer.
To clarify my points before I get ripped on somethings.
1.  Girls left their schools to play for JV.  They met on the AAU circuit.  I am salty and think it lacks integrity of being a "boundary" school.
2.  I have problems with AAU.  For some, it is a bragging purpose and pay to play.  My biggest issue is with the parents yelling at HS coaches about their daughter/son's playing time because their AAU coach says they should be getting more.
3.  I believe AAU is a Ponzi Scheme and robs people of money and is money driven.  From top to bottom.  The F.B.I. investigation last summer in Las Vegas exposed major NCAA programs and potential prospects being contacted by agents/reps/endorsements.  Its all about money.  Sean Miller was one of the major targets of this investigation.
4.  I took sarcastic jabs at Juniata Valley and their girls summer camps, because they did bring in girls from outside the area.  Of course schools do summer camps for their kids and others.  Its great and the kids need it.  But because JV brought in girls from other programs to compete for state runner up, I felt the personal need to make a jab because I am salty.  I found it rather funny.  Those that know, will also laugh.
5.  I blasted AAU you because I feel there is a false reality and a lot of promises made by people all over making money.  Making money on innocent children that just want to chase a dream is wrong.  Every child wants to be on a "travel" "all-star" team.  When people exploit desires and dreams of children, I feel the personal mission to stand up and say its wrong.  If you think its great and want to take your kid, do it.  Just know behind close doors, after your AAU "season" there are a few people behind close doors counting the money with smiles on their faces.  If you are coaching it should be for the kids, love of the sport, and being a mentor of how to treat others.  Not stuffing your pockets.  
If you are one of those stuffing your pockets, shame on you.  Karma will get you, and I will be the dad in the stands clapping  :ymapplause: :D with a can of gas watching what you built burn to the ground.  
Thanks!
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

dadw/2sons wrote:The answer to your question knowitall is this: Of the starting five for this year was this: 1 girl from NBC, 1 girl from CR, i think 1 from Altoona (not sure of this) and 2 local studs from the Valley area by birth. Not a bad local All-Star team.
Just for my own curiosity, are you talking about the AAU team or are you talking about girls that transferred in to JV from other schools so they could play for JV? Both have been discussed on this thread. I'm not big on AAU basketball (or basketball in general), but I would imagine an AAU team would have girls from different schools. If you mean the JV girls basketball team,  thread is titled RECRUITING-JV, so for my own curiosity, I'm just wondering how many girls transferred in to JV from other schools in the past couple of seasons that were on their previous schools Varsity roster?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

CharlieConway wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_MensBasketballRecruitingCalendar_20170619.pdf
Of course the head of a D1 program wants to hear from your AAU coach.  Because of the frequently they interact with the athlete, understanding of their academic standing, and how they practice.  I guess the AAU would have all of that information.  I stand corrected.  I would also stand corrected on the ability to be found/discovered by AAU, considering when the NCAA allows programs to recruit and talk with an athlete.  
Insert sarcasm.  
Quiet Periods and Evaluation Periods.  Kinda tough with (G) & (H).  NCAA II has periods as well.  NCAA DIII has fewer.
To clarify my points before I get ripped on somethings.
1.  Girls left their schools to play for JV.  They met on the AAU circuit.  I am salty and think it lacks integrity of being a "boundary" school.
2.  I have problems with AAU.  For some, it is a bragging purpose and pay to play.  My biggest issue is with the parents yelling at HS coaches about their daughter/son's playing time because their AAU coach says they should be getting more.
3.  I believe AAU is a Ponzi Scheme and robs people of money and is money driven.  From top to bottom.  The F.B.I. investigation last summer in Las Vegas exposed major NCAA programs and potential prospects being contacted by agents/reps/endorsements.  Its all about money.  Sean Miller was one of the major targets of this investigation.
4.  I took sarcastic jabs at Juniata Valley and their girls summer camps, because they did bring in girls from outside the area.  Of course schools do summer camps for their kids and others.  Its great and the kids need it.  But because JV brought in girls from other programs to compete for state runner up, I felt the personal need to make a jab because I am salty.  I found it rather funny.  Those that know, will also laugh.
5.  I blasted AAU you because I feel there is a false reality and a lot of promises made by people all over making money.  Making money on innocent children that just want to chase a dream is wrong.  Every child wants to be on a "travel" "all-star" team.  When people exploit desires and dreams of children, I feel the personal mission to stand up and say its wrong.  If you think its great and want to take your kid, do it.  Just know behind close doors, after your AAU "season" there are a few people behind close doors counting the money with smiles on their faces.  If you are coaching it should be for the kids, love of the sport, and being a mentor of how to treat others.  Not stuffing your pockets.  
If you are one of those stuffing your pockets, shame on you.  Karma will get you, and I will be the dad in the stands clapping  :ymapplause: :D with a can of gas watching what you built burn to the ground.  
Like I said, if you are a D1 basketball player. Coaches see you during AAU more so than in high school, not much to dispute there.  So you can be from anywhere at that point, as long as you play on a decent AAU team. 
Like I said there are pro’s and con’s to AAU.  Not everyone that plays AAU basketball is going to get a D1 scholarship.   But everyone that has a D1 scholarship played AAU.