Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Hardwood chatter
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Post by CharlieConway »

DCor50 wrote:Not sure how Burke from Richland could win COY?  They didn’t win any championships.  No LHAC, no D6-AAA and no State title.  Hmmmm....
Who would be your pick at AAA for coach of the year?
6A
5A
4A
2A
1A
Just curious
Thanks!
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Also a quick question. Dillow, was also all-state in football correct? Who were some others in our area that has received all-state honors in multiple sports in the same academic year?
Thanks!
DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DCor50 »

Maybe the Coach that WON the State Championship in AAA. He would probably be worthy of it....just maybe. With your logic about playing the longest, then Zimmerman should’ve been POY. If he wouldn’t have hit the buzzer beater against L-M, they wouldn’t played the longest. Which then propelled his coach to COY. Maybe I’m crazy, but in my opinion winning at least a conference title is a must criteria for State COY. What banners are they hanging in Richland gymnasium? Runner-up, runner-up, runner-up?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I'd be more impressed if a team that was a lower seed made it to the finals. If a 3 seed out of D5 would be a runner up, that would be COY worthy. Getting the most out of the team when it means the most. In basketball, conference and district championships don't mean as much as making the state playoffs because a state championship should always be the ultimate goal. CamBrady2012!
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

DCor50 wrote:Maybe the Coach that WON the State Championship in AAA.  He would probably be worthy of it....just maybe.  With your logic about playing the longest, then Zimmerman should’ve been POY.  If he wouldn’t have hit the buzzer beater against L-M, they wouldn’t played the longest.  Which then propelled his coach to COY.  Maybe I’m crazy, but in my opinion winning at least a conference title is a must criteria for State COY.  What banners are they hanging in Richland gymnasium?  Runner-up, runner-up, runner-up?
They’ll likely hang a banner that reads “State Finalist 2017-18 as most schools do.  If Ligonier would have won in the state semis in either of the past two seasons in football, there would have been a state finalist banner in their gym too, and it would go well with those district championship rings they got themselves.  
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I would imagine Burke got credit for taking a public school to the final. As for the players, you have to take team success into to consideration. Can you really put any stock in the stats that some schools report? Points yes, but rebounds, assist, etc. are easy to manipulate.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I know a few schools that have turned to "Hudl Assist" to do their stat tracking of rebounds, assists, steals, etc.  Hudl breaks down the film within a 24 hour window with stats.  I believe the film company Krossover does the same.  So having a third party breakdown your film is a great way to eliminate some of the manipulation. 
There is always going to be disagreements with all-stars, players of the year, and coach of the year.  It is a popularity contest, because, well, it is voted on.  I bet if you ask most of the basketball coaches, players, newspaper reports, and fans in the area/conference/county you would find a large number supporting Burke as COY.  I doubt it was a "landslide" in the voting for Burke.  I am sure others got votes as well, but he obviously had the most.
Hats off to him and everyone that made all-state.  Each deserved their honors and I feel that the area was well represented!
Thanks!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Whoever won the Lancaster Mennonite/Richland game was likely going to win the coach of the year.  Neither team won their respective districts so getting to the state title was an accomplishment and unexpected.  The Neumann-Goretti guy wasn’t going to win it again. 

As far as stats go, locally people are pretty clean and honest.  I just can’t stand when teams don’t post their stats.  I don’t get what the big secret is. 
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
DCor50 wrote:Maybe the Coach that WON the State Championship in AAA.  He would probably be worthy of it....just maybe.  With your logic about playing the longest, then Zimmerman should’ve been POY.  If he wouldn’t have hit the buzzer beater against L-M, they wouldn’t played the longest.  Which then propelled his coach to COY.  Maybe I’m crazy, but in my opinion winning at least a conference title is a must criteria for State COY.  What banners are they hanging in Richland gymnasium?  Runner-up, runner-up, runner-up?
They’ll likely hang a banner that reads “State Finalist 2017-18 as most schools do.  If Ligonier would have won in the state semis in either of the past two seasons in football, there would have been a state finalist banner in their gym too, and it would go well with those district championship rings they got themselves.  
Well said. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
PCmor
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PCmor »

CharlieConway wrote:Also a quick question.  Dillow, was also all-state in football correct?  Who were some others in our area that has received all-state honors in multiple sports in the same academic year?
Very rare. I am thinking both Nastasis and maybe Steve Taneyhill off the top of my head. I'm sure I am going to miss someone and look stupid.