PIAA Class-AA Playoff Preview

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

PIAA Class-AA Playoff Preview

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The Favorite: Constitution 
Constitution won it all last season, and seem to be the odds on favorite once again this year. Keshaun Hammonds is a 6-foot junior guard that averages 14.5 point per game. He already holds some division one offers. Jabari Merrit is a 6’5” senior that also averages 14 giving the Generals a formidable 1-2 punch. 

The Challenger: OLSH
OLSH hung with Consitutuion in the state title game last season, but ultimately came up short. The Chargers return mostly everyone from that game, and should be poised for another run. Sophomore point guard Dante Spadafora is tough as nails, and senior Austin Wigley is a good shooter. 

The Sleeper: Math Civics & Science 
The Might Elephants are always a force to be reckoned with in AA playoffs, but lately they have fallen behind Constitution as the premier AA program from Philadelphia. MCS is led by 6-foot-3 sophomore guard Nisine Poplar, who is averaging 14 points a game. 

Don’t forget about: Sewickley Academy 
Sewickley had won 24 and 25 games over the past two seasons, but only enter the state playoffs with a 13-9 mark this season. Part of that record is playing a daring schedule, as some of the losses have been to the likes of Aliquippa, Butler, Pine-Richland. That tough schedule should help prepare them for the postseason. 

The Most Important Player: Isaiah Warfield, Sewickley 
Isiah Warfield is a very dynamic 6’5” shooting guard in the class of 2020. He has some division one offers, including one from Duquesne. If Sewickley is going to have a say in the state playoffs, it’ll be behind the play of Warfield. 

5 other teams to remember
Bishop Guilfoyle: The D6 champs have been pretty dominant all year long. The Marauders are a guard-heavy team led by Saint Francis (Pa) recruit Luke Ruggery. 

Executive Education: This is a new charter school based out of Allentown, and by the looks of it - it did not take them long to field a pretty good team. 

Farrell: The Steelers started the year 0-2, and have reeled off 21 wins in their past 22 games. They of course won the state title in football and future Pitt football player Kyi Wright is a key player that has scored over 1,000 points in his career. 

Millville: The lower classifications of District 4 might not be the toughest in the state, but a 24-1 record is a 24-1 record. 

Serra Catholic: After a 1-2 start, the Eagles really turned it on and became one of the top teams in the WPIAL. Serra let it get away against OLSH at the Pete, so a possible rematch should be driving the ship for this team. Jimmy Moon is a player to watch here. 

First Round Picks:
Constitution over Moravian Academy
Antietam over Northeast Bradford
Holy Cross over Bloomsburg
Strawberry Mansion over Del-Co Christian
Executive Education over Church Farm
Math, Civics & Science over Steelton-Highspire
Millville over Northwest
North Star over Bishop McCort
OLSH over West Middlesex
Lakeview over West Branch
Wilmington over Keystone
Sewickley over Ridgway
Farrell over Shenango
Serra Catholic over Penns Manor
Coudersport over Beaver
Bishop Guilfoyle over Sto-Rox
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA Class-AA Playoff Preview

Post by dadw/2sons »

I saw the Executive Education team okay when I saw my nephew play. They looked like to me that they could have beat the AAAA teams that played after them. They have 3 senior forwards listed at 6'6'', 6'5",  and 6'2". Two other senior guards re both listed at six feet, So they all came from somewhere. Nine other members make up the team and five of the reserves are listed at six feet or above. Looks like a pretty solid team for the first year.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Executive Education.

I think I’ll start a charter school in this area.  I’ll call it Pick and Roll.
PerryChicker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PerryChicker »

I'm liking Ridgway's chances against Sewickley.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Does Ridgeway still hold the ball all game like Westmont football but worse
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
D6sportsfan8819
Freshman
Freshman

Post by D6sportsfan8819 »

Yes, they do. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

D6sportsfan8819 wrote:Yes, they do. 
That’s lame. I will never watch them again. It’s so hard to watch
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
PerryChicker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PerryChicker »

The Elkers will work for a high percentage shot. Hold the ball all game as in freezing it? No. With their style of seeking a high percentage shot, it becomes a high risk offense since there are many passes until the shot presents themselves. A tradeoff to be sure. In reality, anyone who thinks of Ridgway in terms of their offensive patience and not their defense, should realize it is their defense that will give opponents fits.

There are three teams out of the north to not look past. Ridgway, ECC and Coudy. Good luck to all going forward.