Chestnut Ridge Basketball

Hardwood chatter
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Chestnut Ridge Basketball

Post by CRLionDawg »

Who will be the top players for Ridge this coming season?
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

Barefoot, Novak, Shaffer, and Way provide a terrific nucleus. Just wish we still had that Wilson kid. You don't know where he got to, do you, Dawg?
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

Which one?
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Chestnut Ridge Basketball

Post by CRLionDawg »

Are the Ridge boys doing anything over the summer?
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

Yes. They went to a team camp at Juniata and did pretty well -- went twice, in fact. They also are playing in the Summit High School League. I think they're 4-3. Last week they played an absolutely terrific group of guys from State College. The Lions got pounded, but it was a good experience.

Barefoot was out early but he's back now. Shaffer, Novak, Way, Claycomb, Josh and Jack Utz, Trevor Young, Nick Herncane, Mark Saxman, and Ryan Spiker have been playing. Some of the guys went to camps on their own too.

Of course, with less than a month remaining until fall sports, the multi-sport boys need to make these last weeks count. For those players with definite offensive weaknesses, summer's the time to improve them. That means some time alone with the basketball. How many people have been doing that on their own? Not graba$$ pickup games but serious time working on shots, moves to the basket, power moves, and fouls. For that all you need is a ball, a basket, and a willingness to sweat a little. You don't need a coach or a parent or even a buddy. Just you. It's the easiest thing in the world, -- plus it's fun. But not many do it any more....AWw, don't get me started...

I'd say that in about four months will find out those who did.

(I hear the girls are working hard too. )

-- John Wayne
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

fog,

Have you seen State College play this summer? I know they'll be good with Meister and Kanaskie returning.

BTW, I saw that Kanaskie was invited to the Nike Camp at Indy...I know that Nike and Adidas are invitational-only camps for top 250 players or higher. No way Kanaskie is a top 250, so I guess it pays to have a daddy coaching D1 basketball...What's up with that? I mean, he's a good hs player, but c'mon...

I am curious about State College because my Shaler Area Titans will venture to District 6 Land early in the 2004-05 hs hoops season to play Altoona (Friday night December 10, 2004 at The AAHS Fieldhouse) and State College (Saturday afternoon December 11, 2004). If you're able to make it, it will leave a few for you and Head Roadie at the door.

WT
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

I didn't catch the names, but I will next game. All I know is that they were ALL fast, strong, could shoot, drive, and post up, rebound, etc. etc. And they played a fast tempo game. Heck, they broke on made baskets. No one was great -- they were just all very good. I think I saw the old man sitting in the stands griping about every call and coaching from the stands -- not that they needed any more help.
-- John Wayne
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

Foghorn, what about Casey Schaeffer, Lee ONeal, and Brock Hillegass?

I would really like to see CR have a great year for the whole teams sake but especially for Brian Barefoot. I am a huge BF fan and always had a lot of fun watching him play. He really is a true "playmaker."
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

foghorn,

Thanks for the info on State College.

Our trip Dec. 10-11 to Altoona and State College will not be an easy one.

I know that State College will be good and their 6-8 junior post man Eric Meister will be a big matchup problem for us. However, our 6-6 swingman Stu Anglum will be a big problem for State College too. Stu is drawing heavy interest from several Ivys and Patriots. Stu is 6-6 205 lbs and can play all 5 positions on teh floor, sort of like Shaler's version of Magic Johnson.

Our trip to the Altoona Fieldhouse Friday nigh 12/10 will also be tough. Even though Toona doesn't have much coming back, I know that they have a good soph class. I also know that we will be on a bus and in a hotel all day long before we play the game. Besides, 'Toona always gets up for the games against the "Big City/Pittsburgh/WPIAL Teams" and that the game means a heckuva lot more to Toona (D6 power points) than it does to Shaler (section wins get them to the playoffs). Indeed, Hetz will be having his team play like the game will be going on his tombstone.

However, I'm also pretty sure that Hetz didn't like the 30 points that Shaler's 6-4 combo guard Nick Sefscik dropped on his Mtn Lions last January in a Shaler blowout win...I believe that Nick has been the high scorer for Shaler in every game he has played vs. Toona...He had 12 as a frosh, 15 as a soph, and 30 last year as a junior.

Stop by at The Fieldhouse Friday night if your team isn't playing, or take a trip up to State College Saturday. I'll leave you a few tickets.

WT
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

This sounds like the kind of early season scheduling that will pay dividends during playoffs. Might take you up on the State College game as my oldest son attends PSU. Plus it'll give me a chance to hit some of my old stomping grounds after the game! Thanks Titan.
-- John Wayne