PSU transfer and commit

Shoot the half!!!
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

PSU transfer and commit

Post by Stonycreek »

Penn State got a transfer by way of Illinois. Jered Cortez, 4 time Illinois State Champ, will be joining PSU this fall but will have to sit this year out because of a Big Ten school to Big Ten school transfer. He will have three years of wrestling eligibility starting the 2016-2017 season. He is projected to wrestle 133/141. They also got a verbal commitment from recruit Nick Suriano of Bergen Catholic N.J. Nick is an undefeated three time State Champ and is entering his senior year of high school. He is allowed to sign a letter of intent on Nov. 11. He is projected to wrestle 125/133.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PSU transfer and commit

Post by Manfred »

Wow. Looks like incoming frosh Tristan Law will have to step up his game!
It ain't over until it's over.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

125 will be Megaludis this year, next year Suriano (unless he uses his RS) and its probably his spot unless they get another 125lb recruit and he bumps to 133 after Gulibon graduates. I'm hearing that they are still looking at Chad Red of Indiana and Spencer Lee for a potential 125lber in the years to come.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I was trying to be a little humerous with the Law comment. :D
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

Lol. You might not be too far off. I am assuming Law will RS this year which is good because if something were to happen to Megaludis they have a backup AA in Conaway. Next year if Suriano uses his RS or gets injured, Law might get an opportunity at 125 with Meagludis and Conaway graduating. In which case he will have to be ready to wrestle, kind of like the Minnesota issue last year with former Parkland PA grad Ethan Lizak. Minnesota's 125 Sam Brancale had an issue so they pulled Lizak's RS and as they put it (threw him to the wolves). Law could see a similar situation and will have to be at his best when (if) they need him.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

The main thing I see with Law, and it's just MY perception, is when he was a frosh in HS, he had more potential than his older brother Cody, but as he ended his Sr. year, he hadn't progressed as much as many of us had hoped. The pieces just don't always automatically fall into place. Maybe with a RS and intense training and guidance from older bro and the PSU staff, it will translate to success in college.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

I've seen that before, when people think the younger (youngest) of brothers is expected to be the best. Your right the pieces don't always fall into place and it can be for so many different reasons. I can't personally say anything on the Law brothers as I didn't know them as freshman. Triston has a great opportunity at PSU (as does Cody) to work with some of the best in nation. From coaching to workout partners and if he proves himself or gets a chance to hit the mat during a Big Ten dual he will face great opponents. If he doesn't get the nod as the starter I bet he would do what all good backups do, try and help the starter become the best wrestler they can be.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

I honestly don't think Lee will wrestle in college. Jmo, but I see him going by way of Colorado Springs
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

Eaglealum wrote:I honestly don't think Lee will wrestle in college. Jmo, but I see him going by way of Colorado Springs
That is something that I have heard elsewhere but not with great regularity. Honestly, if you think about what Lee did during last year's HS season at 120 (when he should have been wrestling 113 but bumped up for Devin Brown) it boggles the mind how good he is. He just won Gold at Junior Worlds at 50KG, that is 110 lbs. I believe (but could be wrong that) the earliest Lee could wrestle in the Olympics would be 2020. Personally I think he will finish his two years of HS, enroll in college, and then take a Kyle Snyder approach to the 2020 Olympics. Lee can finish HS and wrestle in college for two years before taking an Olympic RS in the 2019-2020 college season. That will also give him the time to grow into 57Kg (125lbs) which is the lowest Olympic weight. I think he will go to college and PSU would be a good fit for him. Suriano can wrestle 125 for a year and then Lee can have the spot for the next two years before the Olympics. Whether he goes to college or chooses PSU, we will just have to wait to find out. Whatever his decision is I wish him the best.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

From what I am reading, this year's PSU lineup might look something like this -
125 Megaludis
133 Conaway (its a good idea to have an AA on the mat)
141 Gulibon (after hearing what Cael said about him, he might be big enough for this weight)
149 Retherford (the first three weights here depend on him picking 141 or 149, I say its 149)
157 Beitz (Cael likes Zack but if Nolf wants 157 then its his)
165 Nolf (if he goes 157 then this might be Hammond or Rasheed)
174 Nickal (I hear he probably wouldn't have trouble going 184 but I don't think he's a big 174)
184 McCutcheon (pretty solid last year)
197 McIntosh
285 Nevills

Local Triston Law is projected at 141