sw regionals

Shoot the half!!!
CaptinAmerica
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: sw regionals

Post by CaptinAmerica »

Congrats to Bennett, i dont think anyone was giving him the respect he deserved. I certainly did not think he was going to win, im glad i was wrong.

Bedford pretty much performed the way i thought they would by sending 3. Thomas and Gabriel get their first trip to states while Easter becomes a 4x state qualifier. Crazy to think Easter and Thomas will be graduating after this year. Feels like those two have been around forever.

I think CR kind of underperformed. Both Buttrys wrestled well. Austin's match with Beistel pretty much came down to the toss of the disk, but thats how HWT matches go. Burkett didnt really have the SW we thought he would have but i still see him getting on the podium at states. If im Lazor i really have to be scratching my head with Claar and Coruse. Granted Crouse was a little banged up but this late in the season everyone has injuries. I looked it up and Crouse and Claar's combine record at SW is 2-12. That to me is very surprising.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.-Dan Gable
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bcor »

CaptinAmerica wrote:Austin's match with Beistel pretty much came down to the toss of the disk, but thats how HWT matches go.
Thanks for this, Capn ... hmmm ... the result was this ...

278 (SF) Jake Beistel (Southmoreland) DEC Austin Buttry (Chestnut Ridge) 4-3 TB

... so that doesn't feel like it came down to the toss of the disk, because it did not got to the UTB.

Anyone remember the details of the scoring of this match?

Looks most likely it was 3-3 at the end of 3 periods, so both got a takedown and an escape in regulation ... then most likely no scoring during the Sudden Victory (Overtime Period) ... then it would appear that Beistel was able to ride out Austin during his 30-second OT period, but Austin let Beistel escape during his ...

I wish I'd been there :-) Thanks for any info/insights ...
CaptinAmerica
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by CaptinAmerica »

Bcor, i watched the match, it came down to UTB. Beistel escaped in 2nd. Buttry escaped in 3rd. No score first ot. both escaped in 2nd OT. Beistle got choice in UTB chose down and got an escape. score should be 3-2UTB. There were no takedowns. Score must be wrong on the internet.
hfhwrestlefan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by hfhwrestlefan »

sorry guys your both wrong it was a controversial takedown at the end of overtime
CaptinAmerica
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by CaptinAmerica »

maybe i am wrong ? sometimes all the matches blur together. my bad.
hfhwrestlefan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by hfhwrestlefan »

It's alright, I personally think Buttrey got hosed
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bcor »

hfhwrestlefan wrote:sorry guys your both wrong it was a controversial takedown at the end of overtime
Thanks, HFHfan ... can you tell me more? What was the controversy?

In that scenario then, score at end of regulation was 1-1, no score in the SV/OT period, an escape in 1st TB period to make it 2-1, then an escape in 2nd TB period to make it 2-2, then Beistel gets a takedown, to make it 4-2, and Buttry escapes to make it 4-3 ... is that how it happened?
LionDad
Junior
Junior

Post by LionDad »

There were plenty of bad calls all weekend, perhaps none were worse than the call that went against Drew Doak in the finals. He gets a takedown, edwards hands hit the mat there is a pause and then he hits a gramby. Doak gets nothing, Edwards gets one and Doak loses a regional championship and a one seed at states.

I believe the Blairsville coaches were told on the edge of the mat you have to give the wrestlers a chance for a flurry. But had it happened in the middle of the mat it would have been a takedown. At least that was what I was told. Whatever that means. To me it was clearly a takedown.