Offseason Update

Shoot the half!!!
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Offseason Update

Post by odoyelrules »

A few things, my apologies if outdated or incorrect:

Central - Mike Shippy and Jan Clark are out. Dave Marko expected to be next head coach. Brandon Reasy rumored to be top assistant.

Juniata Valley - I believe Trevor Kern? is in as new head coach.

SW Regional will NOT be @ the War Memorial. (hat tip Mark Dugan.) Instead the War Memorial will host Disney on Ice. D6 potential sites IUP (availability/desire to host??), UPJ (They are not hosting superregionals this year) , Altoona Field House (hosting AAA), State College (too far from D7), I'm not thinking of anything else anywhere near D5/D7. I don't think that D5 has any facilities capable of hosting. So don't be shocked if regionals move west this year.

Wherever they are held, the SW regional will have 15 qualifiers...D5-3, D6-5, D7-7. With the top 6 advancing to Hershey.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Offseason Update

Post by Manfred »

Thanks for that shocker about the War Memorial. Yeah, the Pitts. area will want it closer to them. Maybe add Hempfield into the mix? Football and basketball playoffs have been held there. Lots of parking, nice-sized gym.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Richland might be able to host something like that. They host state playoff games for basketball, and they are hosting the Volleyball state championships.
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

According to Ryan Spring from the Bedford Gazette, he posted on his blog that it will be held at IUP at the Kovalchick Athletic Complex.

http://springintosports.blogspot.com/
tazman
Freshman
Freshman

Post by tazman »

Marko is not a shoe in. Shad Benton has throwing his hat in the ring after taking a few years away from program. Seems to be a good problem to have at central
Blitz
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Blitz »

Wherever they are held, the SW regional will have 15 qualifiers...D5-3, D6-5, D7-7. With the top 6 advancing to Hershey
I believe the SW regional qualifiers will be D5-3, D6-5, and D7-8

Arguments have been made that D7 get's to many qualifiers and I think that as well. Although they have more schools which participate, if you simply
look at their section qualifiers over the past few years, they have anywhere from 4-9 kids per weight bracket per section. There are 3 sections. If you take the
average you would get a total of 21 kids wrestling in there sections for the right to advance to districts. They take 14 to districts of which 8 will qualify for regionals.
That's plain stupid and just watering down the tournament. Now, if you look at District 6 wrestling (that does not have sections) you will see that they have an average
bracket size of 15-23 man brackets with the average being 18 per. My question is how does D7 get 8 kids out to regions? and D6 gets 5? The percentages do not add up Any information on this would be appreciated.
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by odoyelrules »

Blitz:

I saw a PIAA document listing the 15 qualifier breakdown. The PIAA, in its infinite wisdom has apparently decided to go with the 15 wrestler bracket for 2015. The PIAA generally allocates qualifiers based on % of schools, with districts getting a minimum of 3.

With that said I believe that the PIAA is going against their proportionality principle when allocating the 20 slots @ Hershey...it was sold as each region gaining a birth, if things were allocated proportionaly:

SW AA 78 schools / 236 total AA schools x 20 births = 6.61 should = 7, instead gets 6
SE AA 66/236 x 20 = 5.59 should = 5, instead gets 6
NE AA 47/236 x 20 = 3.98 should/does = 4
NW AA 45/236 x 20 = 3.81 should/does = 4

My guess is that the proportionality will be reevaluated in 2 years...population trends have been for SW # of schools AA to increase, SE AA # of schools to decrease, so perhaps a change for 2017?
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Common core math
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
S Cube
Administrator Team
Administrator Team

Post by S Cube »

tazman wrote:Marko is not a shoe in. Shad Benton has throwing his hat in the ring after taking a few years away from program. Seems to be a good problem to have at central
I don't see Shad Benton getting back involved in wrestling any time soon since his high school aged sons play basketball.
tazman
Freshman
Freshman

Post by tazman »

Well Benton applied but did not get it. Marko was new head coach. BTW..I believe only one of the boys play b-ball now