States

Shoot the half!!!
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: States

Post by odoyelrules »

Stonycreek wrote: If you want to know where I think he should be ranked last year, its below the 6-9 wrestlers that finished ahead of him.
OTM rankings @ 195, I think that only the top 5 qualified for PIAA last year. Tough to put 6-9 ahead of Thompson when only 4 others were @ Hershey and 2 of them finished 1-2 just like Thompson.

Stonycreek wrote:
He just hasn't proven that he is the 3rd best wrestler in the state. He just doesn't have a long list of quality wins because he hasn't wrestled them throughout the year until he gets to states and the last two years he has gone 1-2 there. D. Reynolds finished 3rd last year,
L. Womelsdorf finished 5th, A. Hummel finished 7th. these three guys proved they can win two matches at states. Scott hasn't been able to do that for three years.
Hummel went 1-2 @ PIAAs last year, not 7th.

Last year at states Thompson gave eventual state champ Loiseau his closest match. He then lost in the consolations in a match that I believe was controversial to the eventual 7th place finisher.

I haven't followed Womelsdorf or Hummel this year to see how they compare to Thompson. Hummel should be at the Thomas Tournament this weekend.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

odoyelrules wrote:
Stonycreek wrote: If you want to know where I think he should be ranked last year, its below the 6-9 wrestlers that finished ahead of him.
OTM rankings @ 195, I think that only the top 5 qualified for PIAA last year. Tough to put 6-9 ahead of Thompson when only 4 others were @ Hershey and 2 of them finished 1-2 just like Thompson.
Stonycreek wrote:
He just hasn't proven that he is the 3rd best wrestler in the state. He just doesn't have a long list of quality wins because he hasn't wrestled them throughout the year until he gets to states and the last two years he has gone 1-2 there. D. Reynolds finished 3rd last year,
L. Womelsdorf finished 5th, A. Hummel finished 7th. these three guys proved they can win two matches at states. Scott hasn't been able to do that for three years.
Hummel went 1-2 @ PIAAs last year, not 7th.

Last year at states Thompson gave eventual state champ Loiseau his closest match. He then lost in the consolations in a match that I believe was controversial to the eventual 7th place finisher.

I haven't followed Womelsdorf or Hummel this year to see how they compare to Thompson. Hummel should be at the Thomas Tournament this weekend.
You are correct about Hummel. I looked at Austin Hummel instead of Alek. My apologies.
So are you saying that the one point loss to eventual champion Loiseau is a better indication of the 2nd place ranking this year, and not where he actually finished, in the round of 12? If you don't have an issue with the way the ranking system is done, then you don't mind people being ranked (all year) 6 to 9 spots higher then they actually finish the year when it really matters?
silvrnblk11
Senior
Senior

Post by silvrnblk11 »

Stonycreek if you don't agree with the ranking system, start your own. So we can all complain about yours.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

I'll give it a shot and post when I come up with my ranks. Maybe I misinterpreting the reason for the ranking system. Is it to give an idea of who is the best wrestler during the season or who will finish at the rank they are at after states? Cause if you think about it if you want to be the best you have to beat anyone in front of you, all rankings go out after districts starts.
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by odoyelrules »

Ranking systems are going to have big differences vs. ending results. Heck rerunning the state tournament a week later would produce a lot of different results.

Loss to the state champ was just pointed out to explain a Hershey loss, minimal impact on this year's rankings.

If you want to say that Thompson should be 4th, ahead of Buttry, nbd there and doubt that anybody would flinch. But who are the others aside from Reynolds/Womelsdorf/Hummel that you would put ahead of Thompson?

btw I looked @ Hummel's results this year and was surprised, he's perhaps had more impressive results then Thompson.

18 first period falls/forfeits
3 other falls
a 13-6 win over #12 Heller of Milton
a 5-3 win over Gladish of AAA Whitehall...Gladish is 24-2 on the year.

Womelsdorf is also undefeated, though he has only wrestled 8 matches, all in January. Perhaps he was hurt?? He defeated Hummel last year @ states, so perhaps that is why he is ranked ahead of him this year??
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bcor »

Stonycreek wrote:Is it to give an idea of who is the best wrestler during the season or who will finish at the rank they are at after states?
Yes, the reason for the ranking system is it to give an idea of who is the best wrestler during the season or who will finish at the rank they are at after states.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

bcor wrote:
Stonycreek wrote:Is it to give an idea of who is the best wrestler during the season or who will finish at the rank they are at after states?
Yes, the reason for the ranking system is it to give an idea of who is the best wrestler during the season or who will finish at the rank they are at after states.

I can't tell if you are being facetious.
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bcor »

Stonycreek wrote:
bcor wrote:

I can't tell if you are being facetious.
Ya, I sorta am ... because it's true ... every ranking system has to do one or the other or try to do some combo of both ... and all 3 options have pro's & con's ...

They can be a source of pressure ... or they can add to the fun ...

Either way, they don't matter ... only what happens on the mat matters ... no medals are awarded to anyone based on ranking :-)
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

Ah, point well taken. This is all done in good fun. I do plan on giving my predictions of state place winners and qualifiers soon and then we will have a few laughs.
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by odoyelrules »

Hopefully Mark Dugan comments here for us, but my guess is that he's just ranking the top 16 at each weight for now. Later on he'll focus more on how the statewide pieces fit in.

For example, 170 lbs. has 9 SW regional wrestlers ranked in the top 16. Even with the expansion to 6 SW regional qualifiers some of these wouldn't be Hershey bound absent some weight class changes. Of the 9 ranked wrestlers, 5 were PIAA qualifiers last year, 2 were regional qualifiers, 1 is a freshman, plus West Branch's Slippey who I believe was injured last year and is undefeated this year, with a win over NBC's Kolinchak, who was 6th @ SW regional last year at 170 and is at 170 again this year.