SW Regional Live Chat!

Shoot the half!!!
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

SW Regional Live Chat!

Post by Coach »

Wednesday night at 8:30!

Login and click chat at the top of the page. Hope to have a lot of you participating!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: SW Regional Live Chat!

Post by bcor »

Question: What is the reason for not allowing more than 1 wrestler at a weight from each school at the District *individual* tournament (and hence Regional and State tourny also)? Doesn't that penalize a kid?
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by JustWrestle »

Well for one I think when you start looking at bigger schools, it's very difficult to allow every kid on the team a chance to wrestle in the individual tournament and still complete the tournament in a timely fashion. Also, these tournaments are not just individual, there is also team scoring...one wrestler per weight class keeps it fair in that aspect. I would also point out that schools do "wrestle offs" internally to determine who represents the school at a weight class.

I understand that the backup at 152 on Team A may be better than the starter on Team B but I think for the most part if you're talented enough to reach regional's and states you're going to be the #1 guy on your team at that weight class.
bcor
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bcor »

Appreciate the reply!

My perspective for the question is more around the situations of Ridge's Williams and Sommerset's Fabian ... so my concern is not allowing more than 14 wrestlers per school into the tourny ... rather it's to give each of the 14 wrestlers on each team their best chance at success ... at advancing to the next level.

Wouldn't Williams be better able to compete at 106# rather than 113# ... and Fabian at 145# rather than 152#?

It's a given they won't finish 1st ... but it seems like they'd have a better chance of finishing 2nd or 3rd at the lower weight class. But if not, then obviously the wrestler and coach can put them in the weight class that gives them the best chance to advance, I'm OK with that, what I'm questioning is that the wrestler and coach are forbidden to do so ...

I guess I'm asking if it is unfair to wrestlers like Williams and Fabian to make them go up ...
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Reminder! Live chat going on now!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches