WJAC

Shoot the half!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: WJAC

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote:How many high schools are in its coverage area? Now consider at this time of year there is boys and girls basketball, wrassling, hockey and swimming. I'm surprised it covers high school sports at all.
That in itself is kind of the funny thing, they cover High school sports from Meyersdale the whole way to the New York border. So I don't know, a 100 or so high schools fit in that category.

I don't know why it surprises you they. cover high school sports though? They are pretty well popular in these parts.

I haven't noticed much swimming coverage lol.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

WJAC

Coach wrote:Man you guys are brutal. They get like 3 minutes each night for sports and that's it. With more time on Fridays in the fall they do a tremendous job. I wish they would stick with high school on big high school nights though. I think people care more about that than UPJ winter sports, St. Francis hoops, and Tomahawks games. I might be totally wrong about this though...
They do fine for an under-budgeted, under-staffed, and over-tasked sports department. I think High School sports are probably the most popular thing they can cover, but I think it's hard when they devote time to things like Penn State hockey.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Manfred wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Well their problems stem from having a 5 minute sports segment and they have to devote 3:30 to Penn State
No, their problem stems from 3 weather reports in 1/2 hr. and self-hyping commercials, and redundancy in reporting. For example, the other day, Jen Johnson goes on maybe a minute or so about a fire in Clearfield, and two subsequent reports by 2 separate reporters about the same fire. And Clearfield is -local-, in relation to Johnstown.
I think we all understand WJAC is based in Johnstown but is the NBC affiliate for Altoona-State College and surrounding areas as well. I don't think a town the size of Johnstown should have 30 minutes and an entire news station to itself.

Even the Pittsburgh channels have stories and reports from Butler, Beaver, Greene, Washington counties ect.
bleacherbum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

WJAC

Post by bleacherbum »

I believe a 18 year old volunteer firefighter in critical condition that was trapped in a structure fire trying to help a family save their entire life saving is more news worthy than a sports score.
Maybe I'm not as much of a sports fan as Manfred?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
Manfred wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Well their problems stem from having a 5 minute sports segment and they have to devote 3:30 to Penn State
No, their problem stems from 3 weather reports in 1/2 hr. and self-hyping commercials, and redundancy in reporting. For example, the other day, Jen Johnson goes on maybe a minute or so about a fire in Clearfield, and two subsequent reports by 2 separate reporters about the same fire. And Clearfield is -local-, in relation to Johnstown.
I think we all understand WJAC is based in Johnstown but is the NBC affiliate for Altoona-State College and surrounding areas as well. I don't think a town the size of Johnstown should have 30 minutes and an entire news station to itself.

Even the Pittsburgh channels have stories and reports from Butler, Beaver, Greene, Washington counties ect.
But how frequently do they have Derry-Mt. Pleasant girls' basketball game highlights?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

WJAC

I was talking about the Clearfield firefighter in critical condition from saving a family/house, not about some outlying sports score.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

bleacherbum wrote:I believe a 18 year old volunteer firefighter in critical condition that was trapped in a structure fire trying to help a family save their entire life saving is more news worthy than a sports score.
I'm sorry if the unfortunate death of the firefighter stepped on your toes. I merely used it as a prime example of the way things are reported. You substitute any other town, any other incident, if it upset you. We ARE talking about the sports segment, and people need to know why things are as they are.
It ain't over until it's over.
bleacherbum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bleacherbum »

Manfred wrote:
bleacherbum wrote:I believe a 18 year old volunteer firefighter in critical condition that was trapped in a structure fire trying to help a family save their entire life saving is more news worthy than a sports score.
I'm sorry if the unfortunate death of the firefighter stepped on your toes. I merely used it as a prime example of the way things are reported. You substitute any other town, any other incident, if it upset you. We ARE talking about the sports segment, and people need to know why things are as they are.

My toes are fine. And the firefighter is in critical condition not deceased. Apparently all the extra coverage didn't catch your attention. Maybe if the 18 year old would have hit a few threes and added a couple foul shots you would know his story.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

If you want to hijack this thread and make it your issue with me, it's your privilege, and shows you have a problem. The OP was about this 3rd or 4th rate city's broadcasting station and how it chooses to address its coverages. I pointed out an example that suited my argument perfectly, but obviously I tweaked your nose with it. Your charge at me is to deflect the OP without addressing it. I get it, but you don't. That's your privilege as well.
It ain't over until it's over.
bleacherbum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bleacherbum »

I have no issues with you. I'm just pointing a example that suited my argument perfectly ,there are news stories that are so much more important than the sports that need priority. So the "OP" was WJAC coverage. I think I'm still on the subject and addressing it. I get it.