WJAC

Shoot the half!!!
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

WJAC

Post by old school »

Once again WJAC does a terrible job of covering high school wrestling. I didn't watch Saturday's news but they didn't have one second of coverage Sunday.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: WJAC

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

They covered 8 District Basketball Championships.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Depends what you consider the definition of 'cover' is. Used to be a cameraman would be there for most of the game, go back to the studio, and edit what they shot for the broadcast, which used to be 8 or 10 minutes long. Now, the sports segment is 3 or 4 minutes long, a cameraman shows up at a given game and shoots maybe 5 minutes of action, and moves on, probably to another site, another game, and you get maybe 5 or 10 seconds of actual coverage of a given game. The staffs are much smaller than they used to be, and they have more on their plate than they used to. 1 cameraman may have 4 or 5 games assigned per night. I personally don't understand, in this electronically-everything age, why one person can't "man the station desk", and have all reporters feeding texts or video back to the desk, then put their 3 or 4 minute segment together from the feeds. Guess I'm behind the times, and wishful thinking.
It ain't over until it's over.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

Having lived outside the area for a little while and moving back, I can attest that the news coverage for local sports here is downright sad. When I was in NC (I understand more money was at their disposal) not only did HS sports have 10 minutes dedicated on each nightly sports segment, but they also had an ENTIRE hour long show on Friday night (and re run Sunday mornings). This went on YEAR ROUND. In the summer they covered local baseball leagues (much like legion and AAABA). It's sad, really really sad.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Well their problems stem from having a 5 minute sports segment and they have to devote 3:30 to Penn State
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

I can understand why there was no video but come on when you do not report anything regarding the tournament especially when the top two teams were local
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

As neither a PSU or Pitt fan, I'm not sure why there is next to zero coverage of Pitt. It's just as close, if not closer than PSU from Johnstown.
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

There is normally coverage of Pitt men's BB and PSU men's BB. They have a very limited staff for the winter. During football season they cover many games with a very small staff. Remember, they don't have the budget of the Pittsburgh area TV stations.

My other thought is normally they have coverage of regional wrestling but this year it was at Canon-Mac, not the War Memorial. I have a feeling that they would have covered it if it was still there.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by JustWrestle »

Doesn't WJAC broadcast in State College? That would make sense to me as to why Pitt isn't shown on WJAC as frequently as PSU.
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

Wrestling gets super coverage in Bedford county. The TV stations may not pick it up but the newspaper and radio sure cover it. Quite frankly they cover it better than every other sport in my opinion.