WJAC

Shoot the half!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: WJAC

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

WJAC is based it in the Westmont section in Johnstown on Old Hickory Lane.

Old Hickory Lane to Pitt's Cathedral of Learning is 68 miles.

Old Hickory Lane to Old Main of Penn State is 89 miles.

Old Hickory Lane to UPJ (Pitt's top branch campus) is 9.2 miles.

Old Hickory Lane to Penn State Altoona (PSU's main branch) is 52.7 miles.

Pitt is clearly closer but WJAC definitely tried to appeal to Central PA more. Penn State has a bigger alumni and fan base, I'm not bothered by WJAC's coverage because I don't go there for Pitt coverage ever. It is what it is, the PSU hockey coverage they are all over is slightly comical though.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

LOL...Penn State Hockey. Been to a few games and I'm not impressed with that at all. Want to see some better hockey check your local rink for when your hometown AA Midgets play.
-BIRDS OF PREY-
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

WJAC is in the Johnstown-Altoona-State College media market.

I don't think WJAC is available on many cable systems in the Pittsburgh market.

WJAC does an adequate job covering Pitt football and basketball.

There is probably one wrestling fan for every four basketball fans. How does WJAC's wrestling coverage compare to its high school hockey coverage?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

WJAC

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Like I said, I don't care what WJAC does I think given their constraints they do OK. I think they all work hard, and travel a good bit.

I still think at this time of year, they should probably hit the HS wrestling regionals or whatever happened this past Saturday. Or at least touch on them even without highlights.

If I were in charge, HS Basketball and Wrestling would account for most of the original programming at this time of the year maybe throw in a big UPJ event here and there and the Tomahawks , and they can pick up highlights for college hoops, PSU wrestling, and the Penguins.

I just feel the PSU hockey is being forced a little too much.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

^ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Not having Maisel around to alibi for the station is nice too. Glad I'm not alone in realizing WJAC is sorely lacking. You want college coverage for anything? You have Root Sports and all the ESPN's. If you're a small frog in a small pond, don't expect to cover the bigger pond in the next farm.
It ain't over until it's over.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

WJAC is a sorry excuse for any news coverage...but mostly their sports coverage is the worst I've seen
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Man you guys are brutal. They get like 3 minutes each night for sports and that's it. With more time on Fridays in the fall they do a tremendous job. I wish they would stick with high school on big high school nights though. I think people care more about that than UPJ winter sports, St. Francis hoops, and Tomahawks games. I might be totally wrong about this though...
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

How many high schools are in its coverage area? Now consider at this time of year there is boys and girls basketball, wrassling, hockey and swimming. I'm surprised it covers high school sports at all.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Well their problems stem from having a 5 minute sports segment and they have to devote 3:30 to Penn State
No, their problem stems from 3 weather reports in 1/2 hr. and self-hyping commercials, and redundancy in reporting. For example, the other day, Jen Johnson goes on maybe a minute or so about a fire in Clearfield, and two subsequent reports by 2 separate reporters about the same fire. And Clearfield is -local-, in relation to Johnstown.
It ain't over until it's over.