NCAA Brackets

Shoot the half!!!
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: NCAA Brackets

Post by JustWrestle »

I agree I think McCutcheon had a good freshman(RS) season, he should be an all-american next year and even compete for a national championship. This year was about gaining experience for PSU as a team, they knew it would be a stretch to win a title this year and the teams going to be alot better off because of it next year. Get their heavy hitters back, add a year of experience at the upper weights and add some top recruits. PSU will win a title next March.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

I like PSU to be in the top three next year if all goes well. There are so many variables (imo) to give them the championship right now. Olympic Red Shirts being one. If Megaludis or any other top wrestlers from other teams take and ORS that throws a wrench into the team competition. If anyone does take one I would guess they are good enough for 20+ points at the NCAA's, which can move a team up or down quite a few placements. That is provided that they don't have an AA backup waiting to wrestle. Then you could argue that it would only make a ten point difference from a high AA started to a low AA backup. I also think that a few top guys from other teams will be switching weight classes next year, especially around 165 and 174 (which lost the big 4).
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

They will be good in the lighter and middle weights. Nolf, retherford, megaludis, gullibon,macintosh will be studs. No hwt,losing brown, and some weak wgt class wrestlers will kill them. Not enough guys in top 10 rankings. Conway was good too and now where will he wrestle? I like what mccuthceon did too this year and he will be tough also. Hammond, beitz, law and a few others are decent, but will never beat an iowa guy like the others can. That is what you guage them on. Iowa. Don't know if they will have enough to win it all next year. Heavier wgts besides macintosh will kill them. Nolf will rip it up next year. Can't wait to see him in that line-up. Even gullibon can't beat the top kids and he is good.
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

west33

NO HWT?? I think Nevelis took a RS and was the top HWT recruit in the country last year.

197- Mcintosh 3rd in the nation

184- McCutcheon was a few seconds from a top 6 finish

174- Nickal Along with Marstellar was one of top recruits in the nation. Most likely an All American.

165- Hammond- may be AA next year

Those upperweights look pretty good especially considering what is down low.
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

125- Megaludis- AA potential champ

133- Gullibon- AA

141- Retherford- AA potential champ

149- Beitz- potential AA or the could go with the freshman recruit also AA status (Joseph??)

157- Nolf- AA

165-HWT see above
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by JustWrestle »

PSU upperweights aren't bad they're just inexperienced.
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by JustWrestle »

Haven't seen Marstellers name in a while, but I think Nickal is going to have a better career than Chance. I haven't liked Marsteller since he blew his chance at going to PSU.

From what I've heard, the kid has a substance problem. From the mouth of a CURRENT PSU wrestler, and starter, Marsteller lost his scholarship offer from PSU when he went and visited State College. Cael asked him to spend the night and come to the mat room the next day, Marsteller declined and said he had to go home. Guess who popped up in a few pictures partying in State College that very night....Chance Marsteller. Cael found out about it and pulled the offer.

I've also talked with kids from Kennard Dale and a couple guys that wrestled on summer teams with Chance and they've said he has a problem with weed and painkillers.

If it's all true I feel bad for the kid because I'm sure he has dealt with alot of pressure most of his teenage years.
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

Here is how I see PSU and IOWA next year in duals.

Conaway vs Gilman- Gilman slight advantage 0-3, if its Megaludis vs Gilman – Megaludis slight advantage
Jimmy vs Clark - Clark sight advantage 0-6
Retherford vs Carton – Retherford advantage 4-6
Beitz vs Sorenson - Sorensen slight advantage 4-9
Nolf vs Grothus – Nolf slight advantage 7-9
Hammond vs Paddock - Hammond slight advantage 10-9
Nickal vs Meyer – Nickal slight advantage 13-9
McCutcheon vs Brooks – Brooks advantage 13-12
McIntosh vs Burak – McIntosh slight advantage 16-12
Nevills vs Stoll Nevills slight advantage 19-12

If Megaludis wrestles I would give three more to PSU making it 22-9.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

Wow, sorry Stonycreek I didn't know we had all those good younger kids coming up through. You are on top of it. Having it laid out vs Iowa like you have it, I agree with your top 3 then. I knew we had nolf who beat law 22-9 and won tourneys who will be a stud, But I didn't know we had a brown or lawson. Then hammond and beitz would be our weakest spots and beitz can beat some good kids. Just not consistent. Yeah, if we have those 2 spots only as average, and the other wrestlers above average to excellent, I see us contending. I didn't know we had studs like that. Good points. You made my day telling me we have studs to take over for brown and lawson. Conaway beat some good kids too and he won't make the lineup. That is ashame, he was coming on. Nolf is the one kid I kept hearing and reading about as to how good he is and I work with a guy that wrestled with him and said the kid was undefeated through high school. Impressive and he won in his tourneys this year that didn't count. He also beat law, who was in the lineup a good bit and did decent like 22-9. Stud!
Stonycreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Stonycreek »

west33 wrote:Wow, sorry Stonycreek I didn't know we had all those good younger kids coming up through. You are on top of it. Having it laid out vs Iowa like you have it, I agree with your top 3 then. I knew we had nolf who beat law 22-9 and won tourneys who will be a stud, But I didn't know we had a brown or lawson. Then hammond and beitz would be our weakest spots and beitz can beat some good kids. Just not consistent. Yeah, if we have those 2 spots only as average, and the other wrestlers above average to excellent, I see us contending. I didn't know we had studs like that. Good points. You made my day telling me we have studs to take over for brown and lawson. Conaway beat some good kids too and he won't make the lineup. That is ashame, he was coming on. Nolf is the one kid I kept hearing and reading about as to how good he is and I work with a guy that wrestled with him and said the kid was undefeated through high school. Impressive and he won in his tourneys this year that didn't count. He also beat law, who was in the lineup a good bit and did decent like 22-9. Stud!
Nevills and Nickal aren't just going to step in and be guaranteed AA status. That's not to say that it won't happen but its too early to tell. They are both good wrestlers and I have them slightly favored over the IOWA wrestlers only from prior experience and the fact that IOWA lost there Brown and Lawson too (that being Evans and Telford). As far as Beitz and Hammond, they will (probably) have to compete against Vincenzo Joseph and Shakur Rasheed for the sarting jobs, if Joseph doesn't (RS) red shirt. Nolf did loose one match in HS, it was to Ryan Diehl at states in the semis. He finished HS with a 176-1 record. If Megaludis takes an Olympic RS, Conaway most likely will start again next year at 125.