Proposed weight changes? Thoughts?

Shoot the half!!!
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Proposed weight changes? Thoughts?

Post by Wrasslerfan »

CharlieConway wrote:Ugh, I don't think this is a good move by the board to reduce number of weights.  Considering just as recent as last year the participation finally stopped bleeding after a 6 year skid in decreasing participation.  I know its big in central Pennsylvania and some other locations, but for everywhere across the state, we know opinions differ.  Any rule changes that limits the number of participants to compete is only going to reduce the number of players that go out.  

What would happen to Football is there were suddenly only 9 positions vs 11?  I think we would see a drop in athletes going out for the team.  Just my thoughts, less athletes out, less competition.  

I hope they keep it at 14, because lets be honest, its about kids having an activity where they can compete, and not be limited by numbers.

I'd vote no.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/F ... categories

TEN MOST POPULAR BOYS PROGRAMS

Participants
1. Football - 11-player, 1,035,942
2. Track and Field - Outdoor, 600,097
3. Basketball, 551,373
4. Baseball, 487,097
5. Soccer, 456,362
6. Cross Country, 270,095
7. Wrestling, 245,564
8. Tennis, 158,151
9. Golf, 144,024
10. Swimming and Diving, 138,935
Do you speak for everybody?
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Look at number three on that list.  How many kids are on the court at one time?
DFFSBA
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by DFFSBA »

EaglealumsGhost wrote:It doesn’t reduce participation.. there used to be a thing called a JV team that’s available. Participation is reduced by attitude and entitlement.
Every sport in front of wrestling except track requires less than 14 to field a team
Far more than 14 get on the field in any given varsity football game.  Probably less than 14 get on the court for basketball.  I agree with you about attitude and entitlement, but I believe you see far less of entitlement in wrestling than any sport - because of the wrestle offs to earn the weight spot.
My concern with this proposal is that you have some schools where wrestling is king, and even with 14 weights you have kids not starting that would start for just about any other school.  I believe that's what is meant by reducing participation. 
I also believe this proposal is more about leveling the field for schools that can't field an entire lineup.  Programs like Chestnut Ridge are not made stronger by this IMO.  But other schools that can't field a full lineup are made better by reducing the competition, not by improving the overall program.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

I don't understand how everyone thinks that dropping two weight classes is not going to make teams like CR stronger.
Wonder if I'll get another negative rating for this response.....thanks wresslerfan!
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Tuffontop1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Tuffontop1 »

This only makes good teams better, in room competition for spots will bump out any weaker kids.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

That’s exactly what meant. Kids in the 80’s were proud to be on the team, whether it was a starter, as JV or whatever. Today if they don’t start, they are gone the next week. I’ve seen programs start with 25-30 and after wrestle offs maybe 18-20 left, by Christmas they’re lucky to have 14-15. Wrestling has less “entitlement “ attitude but still has it. In part due to the times, and in part due to teams that recruit non experienced guys at open weights that aren’t necessarily “all in” to wrestle... its tough to gauge and remedy. Jmo, but I don’t think 14 weights is the answe
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

old school wrote:I don't understand how everyone thinks that dropping two weight classes is not going to make teams like CR stronger.
Wonder if I'll get another negative rating for this response.....thanks wresslerfan!
I would but don't have a "reputation".
"I'm your huckleberry"
PoohBear
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PoohBear »

This is a great idea!  One, it will decrease the number of forfeits that occur at many schools, including some larger ones.  Who wants to pay to see 5 or 6 bouts and 8 or 9 forfeits?  Two, overall there should be better wrestling because the competition will be tougher.  Three, the JV teams should be better and have more of a complete roster.  I can remember when schools had 3 teams and the third stringers wrestled and most of those weights were filled too.  Four, college only has 10 weight classes, does high school really need 14 weight classes?  Please note that I would not be for this move if so many of the schools that have wrestling had a full team and JV team because there wouldn't be so many forfeits AND the competition from match to match would be better in the long run.  One other note a little off subject, but wrestling related.  I have advocated for years that high school needs to go back to giving a point or two for riding time.  At least one to parallel college rules. 
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I'm not a huge wrasslin' guy but would it be impossible to allow the AD's to determine the number of weight classes (12 or 14) in a duel before the season starts?  If 2 programs each have 20+ wrestlers on the roster, why couldn't they choose to have the traditional 14 weight class duel and if one (or both of the programs) struggle with numbers let them wrestle a 12 weight class duel.  For the district and state duels, have a uniformed number of weight classes (I would argue for 14 in the state duels because the strongest programs in the state are probably going to have the benefit of the larger rosters).   I don't see why this has to be an either, or situation.  Conferences like the laurel highlands could even set all conferences matches at a certain number of weight classes.  Tournaments like the ultimate duels may want to go with less classes just so they can move the tournament along a little faster. 
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I have been to many DUAL (as in 2 teams) matches where there were more than 14 persons on both teams, so after the 14 official matches, they pre-agree to have 'exhibition matches.
It ain't over until it's over.