One of my favorite topics --- Specializing...

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

One of my favorite topics --- Specializing...

Post by say_oww »

Since I can't respond to the featured post, I'll do it here.

http://www.bleachercoaches.com/viewtopi ... 79#p267579

A very good article on the pitfalls of specialization and travel sports. One of the points of view that not many people consider when they jump on the bandwagon of "let's try and keep up with everyone else". However, let's see just how accurate are Franklin's claims of $137,000 spent to get a scholarship.

Let's use travel baseball and the typical costs you'll experience:

Per Season (Typically a summer and fall season with 5 tournaments each season)
Signup fee (per season) ~ $750 - $900

Hotels $150-$300 per tournament
Gas $85 - $100 per tournament
Meals (three dinners, two lunches) - $250-$300
Incidentals - $50 (Seeds, Gatorade, snacks, etc) (Add $20 per kid if you buy a commemorative t-shirt)
TOTAL PER WEEKEND: $535 - $770
TYPICALLY 5 tournaments per season = $2675 - $3850

So one season of travel ball could be expected to be in the cost range of $3400 - $4750.

Multiply that by 2 travel seasons per year and your costs increase to $6800 - $9500.

Now, assume that your kid graduates at 18, and go backwards to whatever your start date to arrive at your total.
Most travel ball starts at 8U and goes to 18U. So if you participate in it for ten years, you are looking at $68,000 - $95,000 easily. Possibly even more if you travel more than between just a few states. And remember, this is just baseball. Other sports may have even more costs and expenses, so the numbers could be even higher. So while $137,000 may be a bit on the high side, Franklin is right that if you do this for a number of years you'd probably be better off saving the money for tuition.

Another option for parents with a limited amount of resources, is to spend the money on instructional camps rather than travel. But beware of camps that are showcases, as they don't provide any value whatsoever. They are nothing but moneymakers for the organizers. Before signing up, make sure a camp is providing instruction and not a platform to be around other kids.

Parents can instead pay for private lessons - with the caveat being that if you don't see improvement, then you better make sure the instructor identifies any and all issues. Too many instructors just tell you that your kid is great, while they don't really show any kind of improvement on the field. Often times, you can go to an instructor and get some finer points and then work with your kid yourself, saving a lot of money. If the kid isn't dedicated enough to listen to a parent, is he going to have the discipline to put in the time by himself. Remember, while there are tons and tons of specialized training materials out there, its not rocket science.

I use an NFL quarterbacks quote from a few weeks ago when discussing the team's new offense - to paraphrase, he basically said how hard can it be, we're football players. Same goes for all of the specialized training you are going to encounter. Whether its individualized mechanics, or strength and fitness techniques it all comes down to a few basic movements and the time, effort, and attention by the athlete. Its not physics taught by a nobel laureate. Its an ex jock with a limited skill set trying to make some cash.

Franklin is right. Sports shouldn't cost this much, so make sure you know what you are doing before opening your wallet and jumping into the world of specialization and travel sports.
Last edited by say_oww on September 16th, 2014, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: One oft favorite topics - - - Specializing...

Post by knowitall »

Forgoing cable television for the 13 years your kid is in school will save you around $31,000. That could buy a year or two of college!
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: One oft favorite topics - - - Specializing...

Post by say_oww »

Absolutely! However, I don't think any cable/satellite providers are promising you'll get an athletic scholarship by watching Spike TV.