How Elite is Elite?

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
Bedrock
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: How Elite is Elite?

Post by Bedrock »

Heard a guy in the last week telling a story about a kid asking a college coach what he needed to do to be able to throw in the 90's. Evidently the response from the coach went something like..."God only made so many arms like that and you ain't got one of em."
Not the most encouraging thing I've ever heard but probably pretty true.
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

HeHe, the day after and I still read this and chuckle. Just Gibson :)

I like the debate just because it forces people, parents and coaches to think about the injury on the player.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Maybe it was HENRY Gibson.
It ain't over until it's over.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Bedrock wrote:Heard a guy in the last week telling a story about a kid asking a college coach what he needed to do to be able to throw in the 90's. Evidently the response from the coach went something like..."God only made so many arms like that and you ain't got one of em."
Todd Williams??? =))
Manfred wrote:Maybe it was HENRY Gibson.
C'mon - no poem??? :))
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

say_oww wrote:
Bedrock wrote:Heard a guy in the last week telling a story about a kid asking a college coach what he needed to do to be able to throw in the 90's. Evidently the response from the coach went something like..."God only made so many arms like that and you ain't got one of em."
Todd Williams??? =))
Manfred wrote:Maybe it was HENRY Gibson.
C'mon - no poem??? :))
Marshall Mc Cluhan, what're you doin'? -by Henry Gibson. (Bow, holding a big flower)
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

And sipping some tea!
DomePatrol
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DomePatrol »

[quote="d6footballfan"]The more PT, the better. I do know of several kids however who do/did specialize and play year round, and yes they did get D1 and pro offers, but; 1) they do or did have the skills and talent to go to that D1 level and 2) they don't go exclusive of other sports as it actually helps them achieve their ultimate goals in their choice sport.

Leagues that practice exclusivity will be their own demise, it happened here in Hunt. Co. with their VFW teener program, where a once thriving league was reduced to almost complete rubble due to their ludicrous requirements to pay and play in their league and on their diamond of dreams baseball field. Kids and parents pretty much told them no way.[/qu

Must be Mt Union?
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

We are creating a generation of spolied rotten, brat kids, that aren't going to know how to handle reality when it hits them in high school or college, or whenever mom and dad can no longer buy them a starting spot on the team. As a youth coach, I'm stuck having to deal with these little monsters that have never been told 'no' in their lives and have never been taught to respect an adult. Now we are building these cathedrals for them to play in, and driving them all over the country. I've seen 9 yr olds with seperate infield and outfiled mitts, it's ridiculous. And of course, since we are constantly calling them elite and all-star, the rude little stars bully and ridicule the 'riff-raff' that 'only' play little league. The funniest, or saddest, thing I have seen is the travel star peeling off his mitt and batting gloves after a game and just leaving a trail of his gear lay on the ground and walk away, and watching his moron dad scurry behind him like a caddy, picking-up the stuff and carry his giant bag of gear, because of course the little prince can't carry his own stuff. Not to mention that these kids arms are probably going to fall-off by high school, but if the rest of the pack catches-up to them, or they can't beat-out some other kid by high school, they're probably going to need a team of psychologists to deal with these travel 'stars' as they age.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

C'mon- don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. Seriously, a very good post! :ymapplause:
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Great post Mustard.