Season over for the Bucs?

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Season over for the Bucs?

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Just eliminate divisions and take the 5 best from each league. It wouldn't be that hard. It's not the system that bothers me its that weak division winners are rewarded more than teams with more wins.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

That's fine until the Pirates would become one of those weak division winners.

Win your division.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Personally, I would never complain about a team with a better record being rewarded over my team. Up until recently the Spurs could be 72-10, the Rockets could be 71-11, and the Suns could be 62-20 and the Suns would be seeded higher than the Rockets. The NBA changed that. The Rockets wouldn't get punished for having a better record than the Suns.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I mean think if the Mets weren't even good this year, what if they won the division with 83 wins? Not only is that screwing the first wild card team, it's no reward for the best team having to face a team they only beat by 2 games rather than getting the 83 win team.

In most normal sports brackets, the best team gets to play the worst team, second best plays second from the bottom. It's just how every bracket on earth typically works. It's like Kentucky getting the winner of Duke and Kansas while Temple and Saint John's play each other in the same round.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Bah! The Mets are rewarded for winning their division. This season was for the most part an anomaly. I see no reason to have a knee jerk reaction and change the rules. If you don't want to be a wild card win your division.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I think overall wins are more important than what division you are in, differing opinions I guess.
Crimsoncrush67
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Crimsoncrush67 »

Jim, I am sort of with you its an odd screwed up system, but if we don't want this situation win the division, which means beat the brewers.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Oh yeah, it's absolutely in their own hands. It just feels wrong the second most wins in baseball only gets one chance.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Division winners take precedence because teams play 19 games against teams in division and 6 or 7 against teams out of division. Put any wild-card team in another division and they may not have the same record. An anomaly is that Pittsburgh had 98 wins and a losing record in their own division.
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Personally, I would never complain about a team with a better record being rewarded over my team. Up until recently the Spurs could be 72-10, the Rockets could be 71-11, and the Suns could be 62-20 and the Suns would be seeded higher than the Rockets. The NBA changed that. The Rockets wouldn't get punished for having a better record than the Suns.
Referencing the NBA in a good light. Sweet!