PSU Alma Mater...This simply cannot be made up.

The name says it all!
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

PSU Alma Mater...This simply cannot be made up.

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

You seriously can't make this up...I highlighted the most ironic lines...MAY NO ACT OF OURS BRING SHAME???

For the glory of old State,
For her founders strong and great,
For the future that we wait,
Raise the song, raise the song.

Sing our love and loyalty,
Sing our hopes that bright and free
Rest, O mother dear, with thee,
All with thee, all with thee.

When we stood at childhood's gate,
Shapeless in the hands of fate,

Thou didst mold us, dear old State,
Dear old State, dear old State.

May no act of ours bring shame,
To one heart that loves thy name.
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PSU Alma Mater...This simply cannot be made up.

Post by El-Moldo »

I like the part about "thou didst MOLD us". Mold: to guide, to influence the growth or development of somebody or something. EL-MOLDO
vman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by vman »

You....guide us, influence us??

RIGHT
I have to say thank you to me ..." for not being stupid enough to go to Penn State."
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Guide, right? Were you in the band?
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I am a West Mifflin guy...Here's a novel idea: IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I POST, DON'T READ IT, MUCH LESS RESPOND TO IT.

Pretty simple, huh?
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
anysport24
Junior
Junior

Post by anysport24 »

I having been looking at these post on all the Penn State downfall and have to laugh to myself on some of these posts. I for one am a Georgia fan so I am not a PSU "cultist" as Titan calls some of the users on the site. My first insight is Titan must be a "cultist" as the head leader of hate against Penn State. He keeps telling the PSU fans to quick whining and and let things rest but then he keeps finding something else to post on the subject. Maybe TITAN needs to let things die down also. As for the PSU Alma Mater, I believe this was written and adopted at State long be Sandusky was around, so these words reflect the university not the football program. Next, I feel that the penalties handed down were a little harsh. I just want to know how these awful crimes committed by Sandusky actually relate to being able to revoke scholarships, take away wins, and bowl bans. I want to know how did these crimes affect what was going on on the football field in games being played by 18-22 year old young men. Did these players gain any extra benefits while playing these games (no). I agree with the fines levied against the university and what Sandusky has to look forward to. I can't understand how you punish people that have no connections to what was done in '98. Also, you hand down such harsh penalties against the progam but didn't give them a TV ban. Know why, this way they can still make money of of PSU when they are on TV. Lastly, all the PSU haters out there, I believe you better think again if these sanctions are going to keep PSU down like some people think. Remember, out of around 90 or so players that had the chance to leave, only nine chose to take the oppurtunity to do so. Also, I seen there is a loophole in the scholarships that a few players will enroll early next Jan. and those scholarships would count toward 2012,not 2013. Bill O'Brien came from the NFL and they only have 53 players to work with. It will be curious to watch this years team and how everything goes. If some how they put up 8 wins then I believe this can help with keeping the players coming to State that really want to. I for one would like to see when they are back from the sanctions to tell the NCAA when it comes time to send them to a marquee bowl, or any bowl "no, you didn't want us for fours years, so find some one else to make the money in ticket sell" for as almost the whole nation knows that PSU fans fill the stands for their team. So now with the season upon us, please let the games be played, let every thing move on and let past go and Pray for the Victims that were hurt.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Well, titan, if you're now at West Mifflin, in the near past you were at Shaler for many years, because thats all we ever heard on here was Shaler this, and Shaler that. Either way, my last post must have really touched a nerve because it was deleted.
It ain't over until it's over.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

Anysport24 you have said exactly what everybody else has been trying yo tell Titan, but of course he wouldn't listen to anybody because of the PSU tie-in. I have siad many tijmes, I'm not a cultist either, but am a fan of PSU. I am 100% against what Sandusky did, however the NCAA is dead wrong iin what they did. Your point about the TV money is right on. Does everybody see how hard ESPN is promoting this Saturday's game?? If ESPN makes money who else does when the contracts are up again?? The NCAA will make rulings and hand out punishment so to make them look righteous, but are simply making sure their pockets are lined with much cash. Hooray for Anysport. I might just root harder for Georgia now because of your insight.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

What would have happened to the Penn State football program if the Sandusky revelations had become public in 1998? Does anyone know what effect would have been felt by the University and by the athletic programs back then. Think of all the great PSU players that have donned the PSU uniform in the last 14 years. How many of them might have gone elsewhere if these allegations would have surfaced in 1998? No one can tell me that by HIDING these allegations since '98, that PSU DID NOT benefit by keeping them quiet. By keeping this scandal hidden, the PSU football program DID receive a benefit. Most would agree that PSU was one of the top-notch programs in the late '90's. Would this program have been tarnished during this period of time? VERY POSSIBLY. And this is what concerns everyone who isn't a PSU fan. Their football status was ELEVATED by their image in those years. If that image would have been tarnished, they would have felt it in recruiting, fan support, media support, bowl appearances, TV revenue, etc. Don't tell me that PSU received NO advantage by keeping the Sandusky affair a secret all those years. The problem of keeping a secret that long, is what will happen when it is found out. It was time to pay the piper. Think of all the advantages PSU football has received in the last 14 years by having their image squeaky clean . Would it have been different if the truth was told back then?
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

El-Moldo wrote:What would have happened to the Penn State football program if the Sandusky revelations had become public in 1998? Does anyone know what effect would have been felt by the University and by the athletic programs back then. Think of all the great PSU players that have donned the PSU uniform in the last 14 years. How many of them might have gone elsewhere if these allegations would have surfaced in 1998? No one can tell me that by HIDING these allegations since '98, that PSU DID NOT benefit by keeping them quiet. By keeping this scandal hidden, the PSU football program DID receive a benefit. Most would agree that PSU was one of the top-notch programs in the late '90's. Would this program have been tarnished during this period of time? VERY POSSIBLY. And this is what concerns everyone who isn't a PSU fan. Their football status was ELEVATED by their image in those years. If that image would have been tarnished, they would have felt it in recruiting, fan support, media support, bowl appearances, TV revenue, etc. Don't tell me that PSU received NO advantage by keeping the Sandusky affair a secret all those years. The problem of keeping a secret that long, is what will happen when it is found out. It was time to pay the piper. Think of all the advantages PSU football has received in the last 14 years by having their image squeaky clean . Would it have been different if the truth was told back then?
Exactly the point! But lets forget 1998, how about 2001? Joepa was on the hot seat, the team had a losing record, and the drums beat with calls for Joepa to be fired. So, of course it was covered up, or Joepa wouldn't have been able to coach. Imagine if this had come out in 2001. All of a sudden the media would want to know why Paterno permitted him on the campus after 1998. It would have been just as ugly, with even more folks calling for his job.

Again, while some of you feel that their punishment was too harsh, exponentially more fans across the nation feel they got off easy. They are not the ones who need to move past it. If you don't like the critics, then don't read the posts. As long as there are those who will whine about the sanctions, there are those like myself who will never let you forget why your school received them in the first place. Because PSU failed to control their own institution and emphasized football over basic human rights!