PSU Football Post/Off Season

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: PSU Football Post/Off Season

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts about this December signing period. Not from a PSU/Pitt point of view just as fans of the game. Do you like it, dislike it?

Seems some coaches are against it. Some don't seem to mind it.

I don't know what I expected going into today, but it became pretty clear that this is the new "official" signing day, almost everyone that was committed - signed today.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

I think it's great especially for those kids that plan to enroll early. Dabo tweeted that he absolutely loves the early signing period which I believe Franklin was all for as well. I don't see any reason not to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Pretty impressive group of WR coming in with 3 four star or better kids and possibly 4 if they do indeed get Enis from Arizona. WR Shaquon Anderson-Butts out of Harrisburg could likely be shifted to DB if and when he signs.

ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

PSU Football Post/Off Season

Post by ERAChamp »

My nephew went through this process a few years ago (before the early signing date) and went on to play at a FCS school.  He said it would have been nice to have the process out of the way before the holiday season and just focus on finishing school strong.  Instead recruiting continued right up until signing day in February.  A few months may not seem like a big deal, but it can relieve some of the stress these kids feel.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

[font=Arial]I am a huge fan of an early signing period.  Just not during the season.  Some coaches are getting ready to coach one of the biggest games of their careers and 10 days before kickoff they are out signing recruiting classes.  I think it is one more example of how ridiculous the FBS bowl system is anyways.  If these non-New Years Six bowl games were at all important, they wouldn't even dream of sticking a signing period in the middle of them.  Heck a half of dozen school are sitting on the beach somewhere getting ready to play a bowl game.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]If I could plan out the perfect college football schedule, here is how I would plan it.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial] April, get rid of spring games and replace them with scrimmages.  Get the bullshit games of the season out of the way now.  Let major conference teams schedule 2 spring scrimmages at home.  This is when we can get the Penn State vs. Georgia State/Pitt vs Youngstown State/Alabama vs Mercer games out of the way.  Let them both be home games, I’m sure they will be included in the season ticket package and places like Tuscaloosa, Columbus, and University Park can have 100,000 maniacs bring in their campers for this 60 point blow out.  These games don’t count towards eligibility because you are trying to determine your roster for the spring.  For instance, it would give you a chance to evaluate an early enrollee Freshman without jeopardizing his eligibility.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]July, complete dead period except for recruiting.  No practices, allow these kids to actually get internships and summer jobs.  Get them healthy after spring practice. [/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]1[sup]st[/sup] week of August, early signing period for prospects entering their senior year.  Make a rule that at least 25% of each class must be signed on the later signing period in February so the “late bloomer” prospect can still have a senior year to showcase their talent.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Last 2 week of August, fall camp.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Labor Day weekend and 10 following week (11 weeks total):  10 game schedule.  9 conference games, 1 non-conference matchup that must be a P5 opponent.  5 home games, 5 road games (remember most major programs get the 2 scrimmage games as home dates in April). [/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Week 12: Conference championship semifinals.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Week 13:  Conference championship finals/A 11[sup]th[/sup] game for any team that wishes and has been eliminated from playoff contention[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Week 14: Bye[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Week 15: Round of 12.  4 teams get a bye, teams 5-8 host team 9-12.  This rewards the programs with the best regular season by actually giving them a huge advantage either a home game or a bye in this round.  Seeding is by a selection committee but you must win your conference championship to be eligible for a bye.  The other conference champion is a 5 seed.[/font]

[font=Arial]Week 16: Round of 8.  1-4 seeds host.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]New Years Weekend: Final 4 at predetermined sites[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]1[sup]st[/sup] week of the New Year: Championship game at a predetermined site[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]Bowls:  They can leave for all I care.  If the major ones like the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Orange, and Peach want to have a game for any team that didn’t make the final 4, that is fine by me.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]1[sup]st[/sup] week of February.  Final signing period.[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]

[font=Arial]This schedule does several things.  1) rewards great regular seasons. 2) reduces the number of consecutive weeks of football in the fall by at least 1 week maybe more.  3) emphasizes winning your conference but also provides a true conference champion by have a 2 week conference tournament. 4) gives the sport some excitement in the spring without competing with the NFL. 5) fixes a broken bowl system.  6) sets aside time to recruit when staffs are in place and not preparing for actual football games.[/font]
[font=Arial]. [/font]
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Franklins says Parsons will begin spring ball at MLB.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

LB Manny Bowen and WR Irvin Charles are no longer with the team.

crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

No surprise there. I think it was expected they were to be removed when their suspensions went down
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

Pretty cool article about Joe Nastasi and early recruiting in the new BWI edition
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

PSU offense clicking on all cylinders minus Moorhead. Trace on point and getting everyone involved. And Barkley....wow! Hope whatever NFL team gets him uses him right. Kids an absolute freak. I already miss him for next year.